Ugly Drum Pizza Maker again.

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There was some interest in my old drum pizza maker and I didn't want to take over someone elses thread so I'll repost some pics here.
pizzamaker001.jpg

pizzamaker005.jpg

pizzaovenfromcamera007.jpg

158.jpg

pizzaovenfromcamera008.jpg

157.jpg

Very slick. Do you have any temp issues with the high ceiling? Also, how is the heat transfer to the stone(s)? I looks like you changed up your fire brick usage, correct?

Very slick. Do you have any temp issues with the high ceiling? Also, how is the heat transfer to the stone(s)? I looks like you changed up your fire brick usage, correct?

No issues with temp. Pizza browned up nice on the bottom. Yes I took the brick out and welded a plate in there and made a ring of firebrick with bearings so I could turn the pizza to cook both sides.
pizzaovenfromcamera009.jpg

Do you leave the front door shut when you cook? If so, how does it work for you? Cool build and thanks for posting.

Do you leave the front door shut when you cook? If so, how does it work for you? Cool build and thanks for posting.

Yup door stays shut while cooking. Pizza half closest to the fire browns sooner so I made it so I can pull it out on a slide and turn it on the bricks that are supported on roller bearings. Works excellent

Looks good... I've been thinking up some ideas for drum pizza cookers, thanks for posting.

Do you get good oven spring out of the dough when it cooks here? I am a bit of a pizza and bread fanatic and know that some ovens when they lack a good bit of thermal mass on the top part tend to cook the bottom of the crust much faster than the top can brown. I was a baker before I came to smoking BTW and have probably spent 2000 hours or so since then researching the secret to great bread and pizza.

Are you mostly working with frozen pizza cooking on it though? I know that usually those don't require the same thermal characteristics of a homemade dough and are a good bit more forgiving.

You could have posted these on the thread I started...I wouldn't have taken any offense! I am in favor of all things pizza-related. That looks like a great set-up. A few more weekends of laying brick, and I may be asking you for advice on how to build one like yours!

You could have posted these on the thread I started...I wouldn't have taken any offense! I am in favor of all things pizza-related. That looks like a great set-up. A few more weekends of laying brick, and I may be asking you for advice on how to build one like yours!

Yeah but it's not right to do and really it's kinda against the rules here besides being a bit rude. Glad you wouldn't have minded it shows the type of person you are. I'll give the best advise I can to you. Plus my dad was a mason for sixty years so any advise on your build that I can help you with I will.

Back