High & Fast Vs. Low & Slow

BobDogBBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
let the debate begin: I am cooking a couple briskets and a pork butt this weekend, (around 8-9 LBS Respectively). I am contemplating on trying a faster method higher heat (myron mixon), faster cook as apposed to the typical low & slow technique we all have come accustomed to. Feedback Please...?

Well, I guess I am in the Hot and Fast camp, although I think my version of Hot and Fast is a bit on the lower and slower side of hot and fast. I like cooking around 275.

Been discussed many times here.

Some folks cook hot, some low, and some "warm it to death".
It all works.

When I get a minute, I will do a search and post some of the threads.

TIM

I was in the low and slow camp for awhile. Even tried a couple of hot and fast butts and briskets, and wasn't at all pleased with the results (to be honest, brisket I just didn't know what I was doing). Decided to give it a shot again mainly because I was pressed for time, and both the butt and brisket turned out very good, and all in about 5 hours of cook time in the 325-350 range. I'm not completely sold that hot and fast is better than low and slow, but for the time savings alone, it's worth it to me.

I do suggest you define what you're calling low n slow, and hot n fast.

Some/many of us define it as low n slow = most anything under 300, hot n fast would be over 300. Your definition may be different.

It depends on how many cold brews I have in the fridge.

Honestly, that does factor into the decision, especially if I have a few buddies over to cook. Low and slow gives us time to hang out, goof around and have a few drinks.

CD

Well, I guess I am in the Hot and Fast camp, although I think my version of Hot and Fast is a bit on the lower and slower side of hot and fast. I like cooking around 275.

I thought you were switching to Low and Fast :noidea:

Oh, the useless comments I could make here...but, this really hinges on what you are looking for and how much you are inclined to experiment with that much meat.

I think both methods work great, but, there are minor differences in the meat you end up with at the end. Not better or worse, just a little different. Currently, I am liking my semi-hot and fast method, that Saiko mostly started me on. That is to go low for an hour or two, then ramp up to 300F and let 'er rip until done.

Wrong! that is nto the low side of Hot and Fast, that is the hot side of Low and Slow.

Experiment for yourself just once, so at least you'll never wonder any longer.

Experimenting through your own trial & error is part of the fun a great way to learn.

Cook above 250f otherwise just sit it out in the sun and do low and slow the right way.

Experiment for yourself just once, so at least you'll never wonder any longer.

Experimenting through your own trial & error is part of the fun a great way to learn.

Totally agree with this. I think I even posed the same question a while back and then just took the dive and messed around with both methods. I haven't done a ton of hot and fast for brisket, but I love hot and fast for pulled pork at home and is my go to way of cooking for butts. Only takes 6-7hrs cooking 300-325.

HnF vs. LnS is eventually going to blend together. They can both produce great Q, only difference is how forgiving the cooks are and what type of rub I'm using. I do HnF on a lot of my beefs because I don't use a lot of sugar in my rubs for beef, whereas with my pork rub they have more sugar so I keep the temp under 300

...Currently, I am liking my semi-hot and fast method, that Saiko mostly started me on. That is to go low for an hour or two, then ramp up to 300F and let 'er rip until done.

This is what I've been doing too. It still shaves a lot of time off of the total cook and puts out a good brisket.

Back