It's Official! Pleasant Hill - April 4-5, 2008!

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Just got a phone call awhile ago saying Pleasant Hill has been approved by KCBS. Smokin' on Big Creek: The 4th Annual Brain injury Association BBQ Contest will take place on April 4-5, 2008 at the Cass County Fairgrounds in Pleasant Hill, right on the banks of Big Creek! If you've competed at the contest before, you've probably heard from Aimee by now. I am looking forward to working with Aimee and Jamey on this as organizers to make this a contest that is a must-cook on team schedules every year. Aimee tells me she has spoken to almost everyone who has cooked it before and most say they will follow the contest to Pleasant Hill, plus I have been talking it up around the KC area and from the "yes's" and "probablys" I've gotten so far, it wouldn't surprise me to see 40 teams, maybe as many as 50 (triple points to start the year, anyone? :wink: ) sign up.

Our goal is to raise the bar when it comes to service to teams and some of the features we're planning include:
  • 100% payout of entry fees back to teams for prize purse
  • larger than typical sites (thinking 30x30 unless we get a huge response) on a wide open, FLAT fairground midway - grass
  • FREE electricity
  • I will TRY to get free ice (no idea yet if that will happen)
  • Kids Q
  • People's Choice Wing contest on Friday and possibly another type on Saturday
  • Live band on Friday night (the one that was at Blue Springs rocked!!! Will try for them)
  • Depending upon the number of teams and volunteers, the idea of "BBQ Concierge" came to mind. One volunteer will be responsible for anywhere from one to four teams personally. Teams will have this person's cell phone number and whatever you need, you know who to contact, in person or of need be, cell phone. you need your meat checked in but can't find an inspector? Call your concierge. Need water or ice? You know who. Need your trash hauled away? Same person.
  • Tons of parking in the fairgrounds area.
  • Community building for judging
  • Large, covered entertainment pavillion for cooks meeting, band to play and awards ceremony
  • Goal of reaching 100% CBJs to judge.
  • Open to suggestions to take into consideration
We will have a Web site and entry forms online before the end of 2008. Once we have something up there, we'll announce the Web site address. Drop me a line if you have any questions. We'd be honored to have you all join us!

Seeing as how this will be the first contest in KC except for North Kansas City and most people are itching for mid-April to get out and cook Osage City or Jefferson City, we've come up with a slogan:

Smokin' on Big Creek: The cure for cabin fever!

Dude! Glad you decided to move it to spring.... ( what a great idea :cool:)

We're there dude!!! Count us in as team #1.

Sounds good. I'll check my team to see if we're game that early in the year. (Should be, we're talking within miles of my house).

Jeff, if we're not cooking I'll be volunteering.

Great job, Jeff! You can definitely count on two Meatheads cooking it! Let's hope it doesn't snow!:eusa_clap:twisted::shock:

Thanks for stealing our contest Jeff!!!!:sad:

Hey Jay, I had been asked by Aimee to let her discuss it with you but since it is officially approved, I guess it's ok... All I can say is that I understand how you probably feel about it but the way it worked out was really just me trying to both save her contest and have one in Pleasant Hill at the same time. When Aimee emailed me asking if I was doing BIA this year, I told her I was doing DeSoto instead because we got a sponsor I couldn't refuse. It was a no brainer. But since I think highly of Aimee and her contest, I also included that I might decide to come back in 2008. That's when she told me that there might not be a 2008 because of various issues that I know she's already discussed with you. She seemed very down about it. Since I had already been looking to get a contest in PH, the thought occured to me to bring it here. The idea I presented to her simply as a "what if" would help us both. I didn't think she would agree to it initially but was surprised to hear back from her that she thought it was a great idea. I did not discuss it publicly because she asked me not to.

I hope that you will give serious consideration to coming to PH in April to cook the contest because I guarantee you that it will be a fun event. Besides, what else are you gonna do in early April? You already work too hard! Take a break and come up! :wink:

Quick request guys...

If anyone here has been calling or emailing Aimee about moving the contest, she just called me and ask that I post here and ask you to hold off on questions until after she's finished with the current contest. She's had some issues with a certain notorious department in Columbia that popped up all of the sudden that she's trying to work through. If there's anything I can answer for you, I'd be happy to do so. PM me or better yet, email me at BigCreekBBQ at embarqmail dot com. Aimee says thank you for understanding.

I guess I didn't need to be in the loop either, even though I am "supposedly" one of the organizers. I guess it was on a need to know basis, and I didn't need to know...........

More than likely I'll be in. I would like to see a contest replace that one in the area. If the Columbia Health Dept. is being a TURD then Callaway County would be a great place to hold one.

I'm not defending the decision...but I do know from conversations that the majority of the funding for BIA was coming from either St. Louis or Kansas City. The local support, other than the cooks themselves, just wasn't there. The cooks would LOVE to keep it here, Jay, John and myself have been supporters from the beginning, when there was only like 5 teams that cooked. Do I want to see the contest leave our area....no....but I do want the BIA to be successful as it is a fine organization that needs our support.

Personally, I think it's a loss for our community...but in this modern day world, economics always seem to sway decisions....nothing wrong with that if it benefits the BIA organization.

I would say that Aimee and I are pretty good friends, and I would think that this had to be a tough decision.

Gary, I'm glad you understand.

I for one do not appreciate being called a thief by people who were not involved in the conversation that led up to it. What some of you need to understand is that there was not going to be a BIA contest in Columbia or anywhere next year because Aimee couldn't get any support. She and Jamey ended up doing 90% of the work or better. From what I was told, there are a few other people on the board who live in the area who didn't do anything for the event.

I'm pretty pissed off right now. I didn't do one farkin thing wrong yet I'm being friggin attacked over it. Who the hell really cares where it is as long it exists to raise money and awareness? If this is what it's going to be like, the farkin Brethren banner will stay at home this weekend and beyond. I ain't flyin' it.

Last edited:
Back