• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Attempted Neapolitan pizza

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm a big fan of this pizza. I like regular cheese and much more on it than this.

Not the best Neapolitan pizza attempt. I need to raise my stone if I try it again.

r9mhWA5l.jpg

sYH1iVLl.jpg

MxR1KWNl.jpg

gLth1LOl.jpg

Joe, when I was in Europe, I saw a lot of pizzas that looked like that. I thought, what the hell? Where's the cheese? Meh, they came up with an idea, we just perfected it...

I'm sorry that you're frustrated with the results - I'd sure tear into a slice or two!

My very brief and unrequested suggestion - Try a good, fresh mozzarella - still in the ball format from the deli section of the grocery. Slice the ball, but rip into 1/2s or 1/3s before placing somewhat sparingly on the pie. Additionally, try adding the fresh basil post trip to the oven.

It's supposed to be simple - just the basics.... but I do like a bit more cheese on mine. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry that you're frustrated with the results - I'd sure tear into a slice or two!

My very brief and unrequested suggestion - Try a good, fresh mozzarella - still in the ball format from the deli section of the grocery. Slice the ball, but rip into 1/2s or 1/3s before placing somewhat sparingly on the pie. Additionally, try adding the fresh basil post trip to the oven.

It's supposed to be simple - just the basics.... but I do like a bit more cheese on mine. :mrgreen:

Agree. Given the limited ingredients the quality of cheese makes a big difference and the fresh stuff is considerably different than what I normally buy.

Looks good to me!

ShadowDriver had a good suggestion: for me, fresh mozz makes a big difference. In this area, Bel Gioioso mozz is regularly available in the supermarket. I prefer the stuff that's packaged in a plastic tub with water (they also have stuff that's sort of mashed together hunks in a shrink wrap package that's OK in a pinch). We just made pizza on the Blackstone last night using the mozzarella "pearls". Easy peasy...just place those little nuggets onto your pie and you are good to go.

Also prefer basil to be added post cook. Sometimes the basil placed on the pie before cooking can get, ummm, heavily carbonized. YMMV.

Of course, it's totally up to you. Neapolitan just might not be your thing.

Bruce

It's supposed to be simple - just the basics.... but I do like a bit more cheese on mine. :mrgreen:[/QUOTE

I used Bel Gioioso. I bought from Restaurant depot. I didn't realize the log was pre-sliced, so I just cut into cubes. I was going to shred until I googled neo pie and this one site showed it cubed. I wanted to try buffalo mo but couldn't find any.

I really don't think it's my thing. Even the crust taste different. I'll stick with my regular style.

Joe, when I was in Europe, I saw a lot of pizzas that looked like that. I thought, what the hell? Where's the cheese? Meh, they came up with an idea, we just perfected it...

Exactly my thoughts. I can't get over that little amount cheese. It was worth a shot, the wife liked it.

Jsperk I used to get buffala mozz at the Pennsylvania Mac Company down in the Strip District. Nice looking pie for sure.

Jsperk I used to get buffala mozz at the Pennsylvania Mac Company down in the Strip District. Nice looking pie for sure.

I got my flour down at Penn Mac but the line was crazy to get to the deli area for cheese and meats.

I will have to stop again.

All kind styles of pizza- I'm partial to that one- very nice looking (I wish mine were half that nice). I can't bake the pie with basil on it- that burnt basil is a nasty taste. The minimal cheese is not a problem- the older I get, the simpler I like things. I used to say "can't have enuff toppings" but now I prefer fewer - it's like they are not all fighting against each other for my taste buds.

Styles are a matter of taste. If you figure that one isn't for you, NYC style is another favorite!

It looks really great. I've made a few of those. Not my favorite either, but still good. I think if you eat a pizza that sparse, it has to be the best crust you've ever had. The best sauce you've ever tasted, and the best cheese that is made. I'm sure there is a place or two in Italy and possibly the US that I would swoon over a pizza like that, but probably very rare.

Back