Suggestions for last weekend before the AR...

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK guys... need some advice: I've been considering going to Herman to observe some of the Brethren, learn more and offer my assistance if anyone is shorthanded. But I also discussed with my team doing a complete five category (incl sausage) run-through Friday night and Saturday morning at the house, keeping on schedule and doing boxes and the whole nine yards. At this point, I'm thinking doing the run through might benefit us more. What do you think?

Haven't competed but it seems tome the practice would be extremely beneficial. That way you could see where any hangups are.

Practice at home. Complete run through. Timing is very important. While observing can cut significant time off of the learning curve. at this late date, practice is more important. Just my opinion . . .

Thanks. Good points. That's kinda what I figured but I know how everyone believes in observing and asking questions.

Oh and Bill, I'm not partying. I'm going to farkin' walk! Last weekend, I had two beers and about three 'ritas with the Meatheads and felt like ass on Sautrday morning. That means I'm sipping on my homebrew off and on Friday and no ta-kill-ya!

3 choices
1 do a practice run through

2 go to that competition and observe/help/learn

3 take the weekend off and put q out of your head. It might just be the thing to do.

Hadn't thought of #3 Greg... Q out of my head?? Are you farkin' nuts? :shock:
Seriously I would consider that if I'd cooked on a Good-One smoker before. That weekend will probably be my only chance to get familiar with it. It belongs to my teammate and he's pretty good with it but I want to get knowledgeable/comfortable with it too since we're dropping all our brisket hopes on this smoker! I guess I just answered my question with that... probably better to do a run-through rather than just messing with the Good-One on Sunday.

If you are going to practice, then do it right. Load the cooker on a trailer and pull it around the block. Also have all your gear loaded on the trailer as well. Pull into the yard as would the royal. Use only the stuff you brought on the truck with you. nothing from the house. Then you will have a true idea of what it will be like. That way you will have an idea of what you are forgetting to pack. Don't forget matches. I once was going to do some ribs, and wasted 45 mins trying to find a lighter, or matches to start the fire.

BTW I have never competed, but just the way my mind works. If you are going to practice, then practice for real.

kcpellethead said:
Practice at home. Complete run through. Timing is very important. While observing can cut significant time off of the learning curve. at this late date, practice is more important. Just my opinion . . .

Must agree with my learned brother, Rod, here. He does about 20 events a year, so he knows what he is talking about. Timing is maybe the most important issue here. The clock is the one thing that you have no control over.

Now if it were me, I would have worked this all out weeks of even months in advance, and taken the weekend off and go play golf.

Bigdog said:
kcpellethead said:

Must agree with my learned brother, Rod, here. He does about 20 events a year, so he knows what he is talking about. Timing is maybe the most important issue here. The clock is the one thing that you have no control over.

Now if it were me, I would have worked this all out weeks of even months in advance, and taken the weekend off and go play golf.

That sounds like a good plan... except Labor Day wekend's three rounds of golf left me with tendonitis in my right elbow/forearm and it's sore as hell! No golf until that heals. :cry:

But I also discussed with my team doing a complete five category (incl sausage) run-through Friday night and Saturday morning at the house, keeping on schedule and doing boxes and the whole nine yards. At this point, I'm thinking doing the run through might benefit us more. What do you think?

That's what I was thinking of doing before my first time out. This way if you forget something, the house is right there and you can add it to the "checklist".

Actually, you cook without it or penalize yourself the time it would take to "fix" the problem. That way you damn well won't forget it for the contest.

A run through with the stuff in the house/garage/etc. isn't a good test of your checklist or preparation.

Trust me... I won't forget a damned thing! I ALWAYS take everything but the kitchen sink and for this, I'll probably take that too. Hunting, fishing, camping, whatever... I always overpack. I'm not worried about forgetting a thing at contests.

New here with the Brethren and plan on moving into the competition soon. I can cook/smoke/grill now it is time to move on to bigger and better things. Thanks for the ideas and as I grow I hope to add to the advice as well. May the Smoke Be With You!

Good to have you here Charlie!! Go to Cattle Call and introduce yourself to the rest of the Brothers :wink:

I think you should spend the weekend panicking.

Well, drinking and panicking.

Drinking, watching football and panicking.

But definitely panicking.

Best of luck to you Jeff. If I were to offer one bit of advice from my short competition history is to go easy on the beer and keep your mind on the mission. BTW great job getting sponsors. You are certainly more successful at it than we were when we started a year ago. You have to share your secret.

Sawdustguy said:
Best of luck to you Jeff. If I were to offer one bit of advice from my short competition history is to go easy on the beer and keep your mind on the mission. BTW great job getting sponsors. You are certainly more successful at it than we were when we started a year ago. You have to share your secret.

The beer will be taken VERY lightly no doubt. I've been in purchase and practice mode for the last two months. I've now gone into "relax" mode. This weekend, I'm relaxing (sorry racer, no panic for this boy!) and going to TRY not to think about Q too much except for tossing on a few slabs of babybacks on Sunday afternoon just to get my groove back after a bad last two cooks experimenting on the ribs. Starting next week, it's time to get focused, think positive and pack!

As far as sponsors, I just ask. I always try to point out the positive to them (exposure), which is easy for the American Royal and the masses of human flesh that will walk by over the weekend. The DeSoto contest was easy because the sponsor is my teammate's broker. And he digs BBQ also. The contest is in the town where one of his offices is located. No brainer for him. The RSC trailer rental sponsorship just came to me while I was dialing the number to ask about prices. I had their Web site up and saw the manager's name listed so I thought why the fark not ask? I am by no means an expert at this other than the fact that I am involved in sales to a partial degree and that I am in marketing to a large degree but my philosophy is find a sponsor locally around the contest you'll be in. If I'm travelling to Columbia, MO for the Boone County Fair contest next year, it wouldn't do me much good to contact a company near my home closer to KC unless they did business in Columbia. So I'll look to Columbia and check with contacts there. Thankfully, the company I work for has a franchisee in Columbia so I'll contact them. In fact, we have franchisees in most of the communities where I am considering entering next season so I'm going to start that way and work from there.

Back