• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What pellet pooper, if any, to buy?

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well Im thinking about commiting some money to my bbq hobby, and have been searching around for a good smoker in the $1000-$1500 range. My goal is to make a delicious product that can feed a few or a bunch of people and possibly dabble in a local comp or two. I started with a wsm, built a UDS, and have produced some good food. I was looking into stickburners but stumbled across pellet grills in my price range (I always assumed they were much more costly). After some reading and research I like the idea and ease of use. Yeah its badass to throw logs into your pit every hour but at the end of the day I like the idea of set it and forget it, which is why I went with a wsm as my initial smoker.

So after looking around the popular models are the Traeger Texas and the Country BBQ 680. I found some posts from years back talking about the two but seems the Traeger has advanced a little more since than. It appears the Traeger uses a digital temp control leading me to beleive the feeding system works on actual pit temp not just a constant feed rate? If this is true does the CS-680 still work on a time-based feed system?

All input is greatly appreciated, Id love to hear what owners think. In all my research so far I havent found anyone who owned one and didnt like it.

Thanks!

If it were my choice again I would save up $500 more and get the MAK Grill.

I have fairly extensive review on my blog. I'll post the link when I get home.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not own a pellet cooker, but, I can tell you of two dealers, no names, that really do not like Traegers, one even dropped the line completely. They both had significant problems with customer service. YMMV

I love my CS680...has better build quality in my opinion on the steel and whole structure and yes, I have seen both in person before buying my 680

David

If it were my choice again I would save up $500 more and get the MAK Grill.

I have fairly extensive review on my blog. I'll post the link when I get home.

I searched MAK Grill and found your review, very nice! Though i noticed for a larger price tag it only has 429 sq in cooking space compared to 648/680 of the other models. I like the idea of the "User Programs" and other cool features but honestly, as with buying anything, it started as looking for something $500-1000 range than became 1000-1500. I just dont think I could pull the trigger on a $2000 grill.

That being said, how do you like your traeger with conventional bbq items like your ribs, butts, brisket?

Besides the Traegers and Country Smokers, take a look at Green Mountain Grills. One of our members in Milwaukee let me cook on his and i was impressed.

You should also look at the Memphis Pro line of pellet grills by Hearthland products. i have a Memphis Pro and love it.

I have found some posotive things about green mountain cookers, Im just afraid of the build quality with them

I have found some posotive things about green mountain cookers, Im just afraid of the build quality with them

I was not impressed with the quality when I had a chance to look them over and use one.

More than your budget, but I have a Cookshack FEC 100 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Great machine that produces great product, in spite of the cook!

More than your budget, but I have a Cookshack FEC 100 and wouldn't trade it for anything. Great machine that produces great product, in spite of the cook!
Everyone that own's one say's that, but I can't find any PICS of butts or briskets smoked by one, FEC100 that is:becky:

Everyone that own's one say's that, but I can't find any PICS of butts or briskets smoked by one, FEC100 that is:becky:

What are you expecting/hoping to see? they look pretty much like any other brisket or butt I have cooked on any of my other cookers. 90+% of the butts and briskets that I cook in my FEC are for competitions and the only pictures that i have of them is the turn in boxes. i suspect that a lot of other FEC owners are in the same boat.

I've only used the Traeger 075 that I bought used from Plowboy. I'm very satisfied with it except fot two things: 1) it needs to have a work shelf on the front, and 2) it could use a second cooking rack. Luckily both of these are easy home-made fixes. Oh yeah, mine is one of the older made in USA models so it has heavier metal than the newer ones.

For your budget you should look at Memphis (Hearthland), MAK, FE (Fast Eddie - Cookshack among others. Yoder has just come out with a pellet offering also but I haven't seen it tested.

Here ya go:

firstsmoke.jpg

meat2.jpg

Brisket.jpg

That was my first ever cook on mine.

Here is a recent cook:
DSC_3058.JPG

DSC_3060.JPG

How about some bacon on the FEC
bacon%20all.JPG

How about some Bread...
bread.jpg

Pizza...

pizza.jpg

What else would you like to see! ;)

The FEC 100 is a great cooker, I've been using one for 3 years now. Running a stickburner can be a ton of fun and it's really hands on, but other times it's nice to actually go to sleep or just watch the game with a beer in your without tending to the fire every hour.

We cook on Traegers, both the Junior and the Lil' Tex at home and in competition and have had good results. We have a digital control on one and standard control on the other. Very pleased with both. I'm from VT and cook right through the winter.

Back