THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MushCreek

Full Fledged Farker
I was going to wait until it's really complete, but I'll go ahead and get my build thread started. It may be a week or so before it's finished. I scored a stainless steel drum for $40, and that's where it begins. Post one shows some UDS bling. Everything except the fire basket is stainless steel. I get most of my stuff from McMaster-Carr, a great source for obscure hardware and other industrial stuff. The only drawback is that sometimes you have to buy like a hundred pieces of something.

IMGP4834.jpg

First, I built the fire basket. I had a piece of 3/4-9 expanded metal that was 8-1/2" by 48". I wrapped it into a hoop and welded the seam. I then added a reinforcing strap around the top edge. I cut another piece of metal to the 15-1/2" circle I got. I also made a disc of plywood the same size. I jammed the plywood down to the depth I wanted, 6" from the top, and use it to hold the basket in shape, and keep the bottom in place while I welded it. The 2-1/2" of metal below the bottom functions as the legs. In the next picture, you can see that I added 3 brackets to it, and each bracket has a stud sticking down. This is so I can place the basket on my lower grill rack when I want to do direct grilling, such as steaks. The studs keep it from falling off the U-bolts that form the grill racks. I also made a handle (not shown) so I can lower it into the bottom of the pit for smoking.
IMGP4835.jpg

IMGP4836.jpg

This is a close-up of my thermometer mount. I used a stainless steel 3/8" diameter button head screw, and drill a hole through it to take the Wallyworld 12" thermometer. The second shot shows everything in place.
IMGP4838.jpg

IMGP4839.jpg

Two more pics for now- one with my ugly old Weber lid on it (which doesn't fit too good) and one with the first sacrifice- some pork chops cooked on direct heat. I did a couple turkey breasts yesterday with the fire at the bottom, but the camera batteries were dead! I've ordered a SS lid from Arctic, and I'm working on a throttle system for my bottom vents to control the temperature. With no throttle, the drum held a very steady 375 for at least 4 hours on one chimney of Kingsford.
IMGP4840-1.jpg

IMGP4841.jpg

Absolutely farking genius on the basket design and u bolts for raising the basket for grilling! Thanks. looking forward to the finished product.

With no throttle, the drum held a very steady 375 for at least 4 hours on one chimney of Kingsford.

Just 3 intakes? With 4 I can go 450 easy for using the drum like an oven. Cook biscuits, cornbread, etc.

Absolutely farking genius on the basket design and u bolts for raising the basket for grilling! Thanks. looking forward to the finished product.

bingo! i have 2 drums in the garage and i now see how i can do up the basket. brilliant!!!

That baby is beautiful! I saw a UDS last weekend that use Eye Bolts to hold the cooking grates and didn't ask why they were used instead of bolts. Now I know and am going to definitely steal your idea there.

If I can only find someone that could weld a basket as awesome as this....thats the hard part.

Great work!

Don't zoom in the welding, please! I don't have gas for my MIG yet, so I had to use cored wire- yuck! At least the basket doesn't show (except here). I'm a toolmaker by trade, and we only like to make things once, and build them to last. I spent a lot of time thinking about it, and reading great stuff here from The Brethren.

True, I only have three holes, but they're 1-1/4", which is bigger than normal. I have an idea cooking for the throttle, and now I have to figure out a clean way to block the other two. The fire started out at 425, and I think I could have kept that up with a full shot of coal. I only used a chimney-full- the basket was about 1/3 of capacity.

With the price of the drum and the lid, plus all of the bling and a couple Weber grates, I'll probably have close to $200 in it- kind of spendy for a home made, but it should last forever.

The fire started out at 425, and I think I could have kept that up with a full shot of coal. I only used a chimney-full- the basket was about 1/3 of capacity.

With the price of the drum and the lid, plus all of the bling and a couple Weber grates, I'll probably have close to $200 in it- kind of spendy for a home made, but it should last forever.

That should be fine it's hard to tell the size.

$200 bucks doesn't seem bad at all. Go to the BDS page and check out the price for the stainless model.

That's a great looking build you got going on there. i like the U-bolt idea. Where did you score the SS Barrel? Can you get any more??...

Back