New KCBS rule for pork

S

smokeshowin

Just announced at Plant City during cook's meeting.

Pork shoulder or butt only. Once the meat has been removed from the cooker and opened, pulled, sliced, or otherwise, the cook may not return any part to the cooker for any purpose. This includes glazing or reheating if cooled.

Anybody else heard this before tonight?

Never heard of this before tonight. It's also not in the official rules at the KCBS site.
Jeff,if you know, would you shed some light on the reason behind the rule?

It's part of Rule 10.

"PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be
parted."

From what I heard they are not wanting teams to separate/pull/chop sauce and reheat in the pit. They have been reading at the cooks meeting for a couple of months. Don't know the genesis but someone got the board's ear.

I know the rule about cooking a whole butt. That's standard with most associations.
They were specific about the reheating part. I've talked with several teams here tonight and most did not know about this info.

Rules is rules, we'll play by them.

here is what I understand to be the pertinent clause, From Section 16 of the rules.

g) After cooking, all meat:
i) Must be held at 140° F or above OR
ii) Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
(1) Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
(2) Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less
(3) Meat that is cooked, properly cooled,
and later reheated for hot holding and serving
shall be reheated so that all parts of the food
reach a temperature of at least 165° F for a
minimum of 15 seconds.

The question becomes the definition of serving. Does it apply to only serving the public or serving the judges in a turn in box.

I would think that reheating was legal under this clause. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Just announced at Plant City during cook's meeting.

Pork shoulder or butt only. Once the meat has been removed from the cooker and opened, pulled, sliced, or otherwise, the cook may not return any part to the cooker for any purpose. This includes glazing or reheating if cooled.

Anybody else heard this before tonight?

Is that paraphrased? That doesn't sound exactly the way its written. They can't outlaw reheating food.

So I guess when it is done you dont take it off the pit, you just put a steam tray in the pit, part it, pull it, and sauce while it is still on the pit, then remove it...

So I guess when it is done you dont take it off the pit, you just put a steam tray in the pit, part it, pull it, and sauce while it is still on the pit, then remove it...

Can't be in the pit parted, period. You part the product, it can't be in a pit with a heat source.

Folks, this was a topic back in late June. It has be in BOD minutes, all over the forums, and has been read at every contest since July.

It's not new, but man, they sure do have a burr under their saddle about it. I think I heard it emphasized at every cook's meeting this season. It's also one of the most stupid KCBS rules. Let's see, I can cook and reheat every category except pork? Burnt ends from a brisket? No problem! Glazing a money muscle? No freakin' way! That's patently illegal!

Oh, and I love the part where the rules state that meat must be held at or above 140*, but you can't put it back on the cooker to keep it hot. Gotta love that logic.

And don't even get me started on the enforcement. Are they gonna patrol the cooks during turn-ins? I don't think so. Having a stupid rule is bad enough, but having a stupid rule that is all but unenforceable is even worse.

<end of vent>

John

P.S. On second thought, I think the "identifiable pieces" part of the rules may have been emphasized even more this year. That also takes stupidity to a whole new level. How about we just wait until all the judges are served and see if there was enough? Nah! They've gotta see those rib cut lines!

Don't worry there are enough bunched panties that someone will flip on their fellow competitor.
I'm staying away from this one for now. This topic get me in trouble. I will say that the actual rep advisory is not represented here. It should be. The membership should read it and read it again. All too often interpretation is taken as fact.

I thought this broken record ran out of airplay. :twisted:

I guess that we do not hear about these things until it hits us. We only see a couple of KCBS events in Florida and never heard of a rule like this before with other organizations.
I missed the thread posted earlier. I have read it and will work with what we have.

here is what I understand to be the pertinent clause, From Section 16 of the rules.

g) After cooking, all meat:
i) Must be held at 140° F or above OR
ii) Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows:
(1) Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and
(2) Within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less
(3) Meat that is cooked, properly cooled,
and later reheated for hot holding and serving
shall be reheated so that all parts of the food
reach a temperature of at least 165° F for a
minimum of 15 seconds.

The question becomes the definition of serving. Does it apply to only serving the public or serving the judges in a turn in box.

I would think that reheating was legal under this clause. Just my thoughts on the matter.
So long as you cool to the proper temp below 41F it is legal to reheat. However in the case of pork it must be whole and not parted. What's so hard to understand about that.

This rule is to stop people from cutting out the money muscle and cooking it by itself. Unfortunately it also catches people saucing and reheating.

So long as you cool to the proper temp below 41F it is legal to reheat. However in the case of pork it must be whole and not parted. What's so hard to understand about that.

This rule is to stop people from cutting out the money muscle and cooking it by itself. Unfortunately it also catches people saucing and reheating.

I don't cook money muscle, but I also get caught in the rule because I want to reheat my pulled pork?

Once a shoulder is cooked through then who cares?

Can't the rule, which is designed to stop people from cooking only money muscle, say "You can not just cook the money muscle". Done and Done.

I say again, I just want to give the judges hot food.

Come on Skip, you know you can't stay away :p.

sorry guys, i know this is a dead horse, but id hate to get dq'ed for a silly mistake. If my butts are on the cooker and i give it a few whacks with a set of tongs and pour sauce over the top. Completely illegal in my understanding

Back