Cook bacon in a smoker?

mattkins99

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I'm helping out at a charity event where we're serving waffles and bacon. I've got 5lbs of bacon I have to cook. A coworker of mine is also helping out and he said he's going to smoke his 5lbs. I meant to ask him for details but I forgot. Anyone here smoke their bacon to actually cook it and what's your process?

Thanks,
Matt

Nothing too it, you just load your racks up and cook as fast or as slow as you want. I've done them in the offset, mini and UDS.

What kind of cooker are you using?

And yes, you need to cure and smoke bacon from scratch.

I never smoked bacon but I have cooked store bought pre sliced smoked bacon on a charcoal grill. I just toss the slices on the grates and flip them over when it is time. This is my favorite way to cook bacon, but I seldom have the time.

I also partially pre cook the bacon this way when I wrap scallops in bacon. Yummy!!!

Chris

I have two large vertical propane smokers (Masterbuilt GS40 and a Landman that's about the same size)

What would be time and temp about? I'm trying to gage if I have enough time for a test batch.

If it's thick cut, I do 225* for 3 hours in my Yoder and it turns out really good. If it's thin cut, I can't help much. Just cook until it's the desired level of crispness.

If time is an issue, you can cook to an IT of 128, slice and then fry it up like normal.

I typically smoke store bought around 315/325 for about 2.5 to 3 hrs ( I like it crispy.) I use a drip pan as there is ALOT of grease. I have done this on quite a few different smokers over the years. This is before it was done enough for me.
gkl1.jpg

BBQ Pit Boys did a good looking bacon cook - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DsqpNq9YLY"]Smoked Bacon Recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, well thank you all for the comments! The smoked bacon was a hit! (mix of apple and hickory) I smoked it at about 315ish for about 2 hours (This was generic thin cut Costco bacon)

Any time I make bacon bombs or pork shots and have left over bacon, I apply a pork rub to both sides and smoke the slices laid across my grill. It's usually at 225, and I don't time it, only smoke it until it's done, but it's amazing. I love smoked bacon. I always buy Wright brand applewood smoked bacon for my projects.

Back