• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I has two cans left...

Dr_KY

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
and didn't want to drink them so

2j43vc8.jpg

It's a big ol pot of chili to blast away the chill.:-D

2dl0qpk.jpg

5l53ds.jpg

Yup full of beans, onion and all the rest over a bed of rice cooked up in my camping stove. ( I cheated and cooked indoors though) lol

Ya gotta do what you gotta do. I thought it was chili, but then again it could have been peppers for a few sausages, so just needed to get a clarification.

Looks good. Let me ask as I've never had Guinness from a can, How does it taste compared to bottled or even draft? I know even the draft tastes different here in the states because usually they run pressure lines to pump it from the keg instead of the old hand pump like it should be.

Looks good to me Doc. I like chili with beans or without, I dont mind either because its all good to me but never have I had chili with rice. That is another recipe worth trying for me. I love rice.

In lot's of bars they have what appears to agitators on the bar to place the can to get more air in it so it resembles the draft. ( I am assuming that's what it does.) It is better than straight from the can, but not as good as draft, and i assume fresh in Ireland.

That's alright the first picture didn't tell the entire story. :cool:

John- that can has a 'widget ' it it so it's supposed to tase just like draft. I don't drink it very often but it's good on a cold day. I know here the real ale and beer is still 'pulled' by hand but the Guinness comes from a tap nice and slow but with no gas. I think there is some sort of pump from the basement where the barrels are kept. Funny thing is the basement isn't refrigerated and hasn't been in the almost 100 years my local pub had been here.

Last edited:
When you first crack the can it sounds like a frothing rush of air inside but I don't know how it really works.

When on a draft system Guinness has 2 lines, CO2 and nitrogen. Sometimes 1 tank with a premix. Thats what gives it a more creamy longer lasting head. The thing in the can is the nitrogen charge to replicate that draft experience. The bottled Extra Stout is just CO2. Hope this helps.

I saw an episode of that Ciarello guy from Food Network yesterday. His theme was "Irish" foods. One of the things he made was a carmelized onion soup and one ingredient was a can of Guiness. Man, it looked good.

However, that soup had nothing on your chili. That is some comfort food for sure. Way to go. It looks fantastic.

In case you are like me and need to know exctly how the widget works:
http://www.briansbelly.com/beer-belly/guinness-stout-vitamin-g-in-a-bottle/
Rather interesting.

I'm sorry, but once you added the beans, then it is no longer chili. Just a spicy bean stew of some sort.

Chili is comprised of 2 ingredients.....meat and spices, and maybe some type of liquid.

However, what you've got there looks pretty tasty, but if you called it chili around here......well, my dad would say "them's fight'n words":lol::lol::lol:

Guinness is served with a gas mix like NeoTrout said. Something like a 70% Nitrogen 30% CO2 mix. The stout faucet has a disc with small holes in it so the beer comes out with that cascading head on it. Since the CO2 is a small % of the gas it isn't carbonated as much as other beers. Real ale is served with a beer engine. They don't pressurize the beer like most, or all, beer you see in the rest of the world. CAMRA, or the campaign for real ale, saved cask served beers in the UK. I love real ale.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel pasionate about good beer and think others like to hear about it. Even when they really don't. hehe

Don't be sorry. No Beans = Coney sauce good for hot dogs and such
Real chili has beans.

Looks great by the way. Was the other can for the cook?

I'm sorry, but once you added the beans, then it is no longer chili. Just a spicy bean stew of some sort.

Chili is comprised of 2 ingredients.....meat and spices, and maybe some type of liquid.

However, what you've got there looks pretty tasty, but if you called it chili around here......well, my dad would say "them's fight'n words":lol::lol::lol:

GUINNESS® Extra Stout is one of my very favorites. I save it for special occasions. :icon_clown

In lot's of bars they have what appears to agitators on the bar to place the can to get more air in it so it resembles the draft. ( I am assuming that's what it does.) It is better than straight from the can, but not as good as draft, and i assume fresh in Ireland.

It's best served at the Gravity Bar here... (corrected the name of the bar at the brewery)
DSCN5809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back