Alron Brown's Turkey at 151 degrees

sfbbqguy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone see Alton Brown on a Holiday Special last night doing his Turkey to 151 degrees in the breast then resting. He said he got the breast to 170 on the resting time but does this sound doaable? Are you going to get 19 degrees during the resting time?
Seems like from what I've seen here that his bird might be under-done.

i missed the holiday special, but on his show about turkey a few years ago, i thought he went to 161. Maybe i am wrong though. I don;t think i have ever gotten 19 degrees carry-over though.

It seems that 19 degrees is a bit much for me. But I really dont like the idea of bloody turkey, but he IS a professional so he MUST know what he is talking about....right? :-D

I normally take mine to 155 and it will rise to 165, but I agree, 19 degrees is a bit much.

I had a cocktail while I was watching and may have heard wrong but pretty sure he said 151 and not 161 because I remember being so surprised it was so low.

Makes sense...my wife says I mishear her all the time.
I'm gonna go with RonL and take this year's bird to between 155-160.

I watched the show last night. He said 151. I did a double take to make sure I heard right. He even said it a couple of times. He said it went up to 170 but I still find it very hard to believe to get a 19 degree increase especially just setting on the counter with a single thickenss of foil over it.

So it wasn't the booze! I thought that's what I heard. I'm not going to try one at 151.
How about that stuffing they made with the sausage and sourdough bread...man that looked good.

nope, he said 151. surprised the heck out of me. i just imagined the thigh as being on the raw side. i'm not gonna follow that recipe.

USDA
TURKEY BASICS: STUFFING
Make sure you cook both your turkey and your stuffing completely. If you don't, bacteria that can make you sick may still be alive. Here are the most important things to remember about stuffing:
Cook the stuffing separately -- it's MUCH safer!
If you absolutely have to cook the stuffing in the turkey, use a thermometer to make sure the stuffing reaches a temperature of 165 F and the turkey reaches a temperature of 180 F in the innermost part of the thigh. Measure the temperature of both the turkey and stuffing! Don't just trust a pop-up indicator!

From what I have found, he says 161 when cooking in the oven. He says 151 when deep frying. I wonder if it will continue to rise so much because it is cooking so fast. As slow as the temp will rise on a smoker, I would not trust it to rise 19 degrees after removing. I did a ham on my smoker the other day and the temp only came up another 5 degrees after I took it off. I didn't touch the thermometer after removing because I wanted to see just how much it would rise.

I have my own concept for this stuff. Aside from thanksgiving, when i may do a second small bird as the traditional centerpiece, I do this for chickens and turkeys. The big bird thats the main course gets sectioned during cooking. (The centerpiece is then the sandwich bird for that turkey on rye sandwich at midnight)

I pull the bird when the breast crosses 150. Thats it, no higher. i then cutoff the thighs at the joint and put them back in the oven at 400-425 and pull them at 175 to rest and cross into the 180s. The breast and wings are tented and sit on top of the stove(by the vent where its pretty hot) as they climb to the 160+'ish.

I also dont stuff the bird with stuffing, I stuff loosely with fruits(apples pears, etc).

nothing worse than a dried out shriveled up breast. :twisted::wink:

Back