OK...I need your opinion on this!

keend

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been thinking about picking up another smoker. It is the Lyfe Tyme smoker Ron let us know about on Craigs List.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44959

I have talked with the lady selling it and it is 1/4 inch steel. The diameter is 20". Wish it was the 24". She also sent me a few more pictures. Seems like quality equipment but I have never seen one in person. The Lyfe Time web site leaves a little to be desired.

Here are a few more pictures she sent me.

01010501150901031120080624ab8ecb27d.jpg

011509011609010412200806243abea8155.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Seems to be built like a brick $hit house. It looks very clean but I have no clue how well it cooks.
She is asking $700, is it worth it $500?

Should I go for it or keep saving for something better?

I'm sitting on the fence and would like to know your opinion.:icon_wink

Don't know about the price but most people seem to have good things to say about them.

If you like it go for it. Ask if you can try it before you buy it. Unless you put it on a trailor you will not be taking it to a Comp- it looks too heavy to pick it up and put it in the back of a truck. It looks weel built. Try to get it down in price- how longf has it been for sale and how did she get it so clean. Was it ever used

looks like a nice smoker I have heard they are a good smoker. If it 1/4 it will last.

It's clean, no rust inside or out! Nice!! I think they go for $1200.00 out the gate of their factory in Uvalde. I've visited them a few times. Their smokers are great. 1/4" pipe, all hand made in Uvalde, Texas. If they had slide out shelves (which you can add) they could compete with the big boys. $500.00 to $700.00 would be a fair price. Hell all you get for $450.00 is a rolled sheet metal NB longhorn these days. I say go for it!

ETA: They are $1100.00 here http://www.trampolinesales.com/bbqsmokers.htm plus $1.75 per lb shipping. At 470lbs that's about $800.00

They sell replacement parts too.

Last edited:
It looks very similar in size and build to my Cimmaron, just a mirror image, maybe a little bigger diameter-wise.
I've turned out some fine Q with my Cimmaron, (Coz says it's a rib machine) but be prepared to babysit it.
If I was in the market for another offset, (which I'm not, thus it's still on there) I'd offer $500 and go up. I think she has been trying to sell this pit for several months so she may be motivated.
All in all I'd say it's a fine pit.

They are beasts!! My FIL just bought one with the upright addition. Bought it at the Victoria TX HEB store for $1100. Worth the money? Yes. But try to deal.

I would start at $350 and go from there but definitely not over $600. Too much effort to do long cook especially the fire tending chore. The fuel cost will also be higher than say that of a large Big Green Egg. I used to be an offset user for many a year and no more. BGE has ruined me for good.
You can get a new large Big Green Egg for $700 so make the decision of what you want to invest in before you buy.

Like my daddy used to say..."If it is not worth it to you it is not worth a dollar!"

I like my offset, its fun for me...ok I might be weird. I would love to have a 1/4inch off set. That one will need some mods (as they all do)...smoke stack lowered for one and a charcoal basket unless your going to burn only wood ect ect, but thats part of the fun for me. I get about 3-4 hrs of burn with my charcoal basket and other mods and my off set is not 1/4 inch.

I have had one like that for the last 15 years. The only difference is mine has two doors instead of one. Yes it is worth it and you'll like it once you learn how to drive it. It even comes with a firebox tool unless they threw it away. Makes great Q. Do your briskets and butts on the left side and chicks, corn and ribs on the right to middle. Sausage on the top self. It's a little cantaknerous in the wind because the firebox doors are not that well sealed. Get rid of the POS temp gage and replace it with a Tel-Tru. But, it is a good pit for the price.

I got a good look at a Lyfe-Tyme offset last week at my Uncle's neighbors house in Houston. They are well built pits and for $500.00 that would be a good deal. Good Luck!

The quality (1/4" walls) and the good shape the pit is in is what makes me want it. I'm sure I would fall in love with it and it will be something I can pass down to my son one day. I also think she will come down on the price a good bit.

But...

I already own an offset fuel hog in the NB Bandera. I think I'm getting lazy and am ready to be spoiled for awhile. Those over night cooks on the Bandera are getting more and more difficult as I get older and the kids are getting more busy with ball, gymnastics, etc.

I'm going to continue to deposit money into my smoker fund and wait for a large egg, spicewine, or stumps.

Thanks for all your input (CaptGrumpy, your comments are what swayed me to wait). It's great to have a group to bounce things off of and get different prospectives.

If you are looking for a pit that doens't have to be tended very often, then the Lyfe Tyme is NOT the one you want. It is fuel hungry. At least mine is. :roll:

Back