BBQ Brethren "As Seen on TV" Throwdown!

IMG_3892.jpg

I think you'll see that this is virtually indistinguishable from what you'd get at McDonald's. :thumb:

But where is the azodicarbonamide, tripe, & scalded stomach like the Genuine McRib :confused:

Or is that only in the McD's Secret Sauce? :laugh:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/27/why-lovin-the-mcrib-isnt-a-heart-smart-idea/
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-M...e-McRib-and-Why-It-Disappears-from-McDonalds/

Fark, sorry Moose, were you going to make that? Or do you have something against McRibs? Can I take it back? :confused:

It's OK, Gore, Plan B is at the ready. :thumb:

BTW, that is one outfarkingstanding McRib! I like that you followed McDonald's cooking techniques nearly to the "t". :becky:

However, you did not show your ribs being foiled. I hope you will not be enjoying a Dilly Bar for this omission. Rules are rules, you know. :tsk:

But where is the azodicarbonamide, tripe, & scalded stomach like the Genuine McRib :confused:

Or is that only in the McD's Secret Sauce? :laugh:

I checked the labels and I can't seem to locate those ingredients anywhere. I did notice that the enriched flour had niacin in it. I think that's technical jargon for "scalded stomach," but I'm not sure. :noidea:

It's OK, Gore, Plan B is at the ready. :thumb:

BTW, that is one outfarkingstanding McRib! I like that you followed McDonald's cooking techniques nearly to the "t". :becky:

However, you did not show your ribs being foiled. I hope you will not be enjoying a Dilly Bar for this omission. Rules are rules, you know. :tsk:

Thanks Moose, I tried to be as true to the original as I possibly could. :thumb: Now, don't give Mr. Big any ideas on technicalities. WW4BBQ said there aren't any in this one. :hand:

IMG_3892.jpg

What is that in the background. Is that beer, Guinness maybe? If so this must be created after one of those more advanced McDonald's.

What is that in the background. Is that beer, Guinness maybe? If so this must be created after one of those more advanced McDonald's.

Actually, it is a Scottish ale that's been aging in my basement the last year. It's been a long time since I've been in a McDonald's, and I couldn't remember what type of beer they serve. I believe they do their best to match their food with their refreshments and I thought the malty sweetness of the Scottish ale would compliment the McRib very nicely (it did). I expect that is what is served, but the commercial did not enlighten me at all about this, so it really is just a guess on my part. In addition, I loaded that ale, so it's pushing 10% alcohol, which I thought would help me in preparing the post. :shock:

Actually, it is a Scottish ale that's been aging in my basement the last year. It's been a long time since I've been in a McDonald's, and I couldn't remember what type of beer they serve. I believe they do their best to match their food with their refreshments and I thought the malty sweetness of the Scottish ale would compliment the McRib very nicely (it did). I expect that is what is served, but the commercial did not enlighten me at all about this, so it really is just a guess on my part. In addition, I loaded that ale, so it's pushing 10% alcohol, which I thought would help me in preparing the post. :shock:

Was in France this summer, 1664 on tap at McDonalds, just like soda.

Yummmm

Out of all the TV personalities one that I can most relate with is Steven Raichlen.
One of my favorite dishes he does is the Caveman T-Bone. I've been wanting to try this, and the throwdown gave me the opportunity.

Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/iGpQg6DWvAY

and here is the recipe:
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=85&EpisodeID=28

I started with this:
2" Thick T-bone (can you believe it weighed 3.4 lbs?)
Yellow & Red Bell Pepper
Garlic
Italian Parsley
EVOO
Gnarly Head - Pinot Noir (local from Lodi, Ca)
Best of the West Natural Lump Charcoal

PA200118.JPG

Sprinkled kosher salt and cracked black peppercorns liberally on both sides.
PA200139.JPG

Grill was set up with lump on top of the grate, and allowed to turn orange.

PA200149.JPG

Once ready I tossed on the steak:

PA200150.JPG

In the mean time I prepped the sweet pepper topping:
PA200156.JPG

PA200159.JPG

After 3-4 minutes per side, the steak was ready to rest, then I got the oil hot:
PA200160.JPG

Added the pepper mix:
PA200165.JPG

After a few minutes in the hot oil, it was ready to top the steak.

PA200169.JPG

PA200170.JPG

Slice into it (please use this shot for TD)
PA200174.JPG

Even deeper into it:

PA200182.JPG

PA200186.JPG

It was tasty.

Now, I just read this and I'm afraid you are guilty of making me very, very hungry. Nice right up.

Spice Rubbed Ribs with Chipotle-Honey Glaze

Here's my entry for the As Seen on TV TD:

I don't watch much TV, but on occasion, I happen to enjoy a show or two from the Food Network. A while back, I caught an episode of Grill It! With Bobby Flay that featured a rib recipe I thought might be worth trying.

Basically he used a savory dry rub on the ribs and and then slow cooked them, then the last 30 mins applied the chipotle honey glaze.

You can watch the video here:

Honey-Glazed Spice-Rubbed Ribs-Food Network - YouTube

I made a couple of alterations to the recipe. First, I cut the rub recipe in half, as he was using 2 racks of whole untrimmed spares and I used BB's which have about 50% of the surface area of whole spares. Second, I felt the glaze would be way too thick without some liquid to dilute it, so I added about 1/3 cup fresh squeezed Valencia orange juice, which gave me the consistency I was looking for. I also halved the glaze recipe due to the smaller BB ribs.

First, I assembled the dry rub ingredients together, which consisted of [FONT=&quot]chili powder, chile de arbol, dry mustard, kosher salt, paprika, oregano, coriander, black pepper, and cumin:

DSC_0029.jpg

I then put all of these in the spice grinder:

DSC_0030.jpg

I gave the ribs a good rinsing, then removed the membrane:

DSC_0028.jpg

Then applied the rub:

DSC_0035.jpg

I covered the ribs and let them sit for about 4 hours.

Later that same very day, I fired up the WSM:

DSC_0037.jpg

Then added some pecan chunks:

DSC_0038.jpg

Then I put the ribs on:

DSC_0042.jpg

This was a hot and fast cook, so I dialed in the WSM at 300 degrees.

About an hour later:

DSC_0044.jpg

Later, I put together the ingredients for the glaze. I decided to add some crushed red chili (Or as the label says, Chili Crusht) because I really like spicy stuff:

DSC_0047.jpg

I blended the honey, crushed chili, orange juice, and about 1.5 heaping tsp of chipotle. When I tasted the mixture, I nearly jumped out of my pants! This stuff was hot. :shock: I could only hope the heat would mellow quite a bit due to heat exposure from the smoker.

Not long after, I began generously mopping the ribs with the incendiary liquid, and did so about every 10 minutes:

DSC_0052.jpg

When both racks of ribs passed the bend test, with flying colors, I pulled them off the smoker for a brief rest:

RibReTouch1.jpg

After a brief resting period, I began slicing the ribs:

DSC_0063.jpg

RibShot1.jpg

I then plated the ribs, and gave them a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro:

DSC_0072.jpg

The ribs were delicious! The dry rub was a completely different flavor profile than what I am used to, and was very tasty. Fortunately the heat from the glaze mellowed considerably from cooking, and I'm really glad I added the orange juice to the glaze.

Full recipe is HERE.

Chris, when you awaken from your nap, please use second to last pic for TD entry.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Beautiful ribs, Moose. Did you make nachos or pizza with the other rack?

We have not decided what to do with the leftover 1/2 rack. Perhaps some rib tacos might be in order.

Gore, are you suggesting that I eat too many nachos and pizzas? :becky:

We have not decided what to do with the leftover 1/2 rack. Perhaps some rib tacos might be in order.

Gore, are you suggesting that I eat too many nachos and pizzas? :becky:

I didn't know there was such a thing as too many nachos or pizza. :shock: I never even considered making tacos. Well, if you win, I hope you'll be calling rib tacos for the next category. :thumb:

I didn't know there was such a thing as too many nachos or pizza. :shock: I never even considered making tacos. Well, if you win, I hope you'll be calling rib tacos for the next category. :thumb:

That would certainly be a new category here, although I doubt we'd have many entries.

Sir Porkalot, I took as much of the green out of your money shot as I could. Click "Edit" and copy and paste this image into your entry post, if you want.

picture.php

CD

I appreciate it, but am at a loss how to do that after I've lost the "edit" button.
Not to mention I am on the road (air) today, and am accessing via mobile.

Back