KCBS election thoughts

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Having had several conversations about the KCBS BoD election that is approaching, over the last few months, I took the time to think about how I'd determine who I'd vote for. I came up with the basic criteria below.

It's going to take more than name recognition for me to cast a vote this year.

I need to see that a candidate has skills to offer to KCBS, whether that's management experience, a technical background that would be beneficial, experience in helping a business or other NFP grow efficiently, etc.

I need some clear examples of issues they believe in, and will work to develop while serving. I want to hear something other than helping foster harmony and cooperation on the board. While I believe that it's crucial, I believe that it will be such a common theme that it will be meaningless as a discriminating factor. A good start would be a clear statement on what they believe the role of the BoD should be and what they will do to help achieve that goal. I'd like to see some form of a code of conduct or ethics developed, with some clear repercussions if one or the other is violated.

Most importantly, I will only vote for someone that I believe will act as a "Director" and not a "Manager". I want to be able to vote for a candidate that is interested in taking advantage of the growth opportunities that may present themselves, and run this organization like a business and not a dysfunctional club.

While I'm grateful for the service of the existing BoD, and members that have served in the past, I think it's time for a change. As the board exists now, I've heard too many scraps and seen too much evidence of grudges, feuds, and burned bridges to have any confidence that there will be a change in the way that the business of the BoD is carried out without a significant change in the makeup of that board. Anyone meeting the qualifications outlined above, and that I can reasonably believe will put forth the effort to remain free of the existing polarization of the current BoD and carry out their duties for the benefit of the organization has a shot at my vote.

EDIT: I should add that my dissatisfaction is with the current board as a whole. Not individual members or factions. The polarization that exists today, is there because it has been allowed to grow.

I truly believe the entire thing is a joke. We are cooking food for money. This is way too serious and political for what it is. It is nice to have organization and rules, but once they are set which they are, either follow them or dont participate.

I am pretty much removed from the KCBS politics out here...other than what I read on the forums...this one in particular. As a KCBS member with a vote I also take my queue from you folks as to who to vote for. I will be watching and reading with an open mind...thanks for starting this thread Jorge! :cool:
JD

I agree. The BoD needs to move to a more 'Corporate' level where you actually let people do their jobs. I don't feel it is the place of the BoD to deal with the day to day running of the KCBS. It's their job to have a vision and move that vision to the reality.

When a company, and let's not fool ourselves KCBS is a company, is small, a leadership role requires getting down in the trenches. Once that company grows the role of leadership changes, less shovels and more vision. You want to know what a BoD should be doing, let's see... Board of Directors... Director to me is someone that gives direction and leadership, it’s that simple.

Last edited:
Well said
I have started with a theme of "helping foster harmony and cooperation on the board."
Specifics concerning the future will be added as the campaign continues.
It is October and we have a long way to go here.

I'm with you, Jorge. One of the other things I'll be looking at is if any of the nominees are in cahoots with past/existing BOD members.

I agree and I'll be looking to see if they're in cahoots with the Executive Director as well. She is way more involved in the bull**** than people want to believe.

I agree and I'll be looking to see if they're in cahoots with the Executive Director as well. She is way more involved in the bull**** than people want to believe.

Thanks for the inside info. When of the best things I like about you Ray is that you always speak your mind. :cool:

I have been a member now of KCBS since 07 and I keep asking myself why? In three years, I have seen too much High School student council B.S.

I am looking for BOD members who will listen to its membership and implement change for the better. Tired of the Cronie Network and lack of professionalism!

I truly believe the entire thing is a joke. We are cooking food for money. This is way too serious and political for what it is. It is nice to have organization and rules, but once they are set which they are, either follow them or dont participate.

Life would be wonderful if everything were black and white. Nothing becomes simple as soon as money is involved. Someone has to run the organization.

Nobody is going to nominate me so I can chime in. The KCBS is a business, a not for profit business. It's product is the sanctioning of bbq contests, and it's customers are the contest organizers, bbq teams and members. As any other business it can sink or swim based on the customer's satisfaction with the product. As I look at the KCBS, I see a company that is successful in spite of themselves. It seems that the board of directors have lost their focus and their customers are unsatisfied. Like any other business, the KCBS should be run by a group of professionals, who can make decisions without emotion or personal agendas. Most companies hire and fire their executives based on performance and the KCBS should be no different. Yes, it is time for change . It is time for the KCBS to be run like a proper business focused on growth and the satisfaction of their customers. We as the customers should let the BOD how dissatisified we are and elect BOD members who can put their emotions and personal adgenda's aside and tend to the business of satisfying their customers.

Wow seems like you guys are looking for a BBQ fan that sits on the board of a major company, is a director of a firm, has worked in more than 5 fortune 500 companies in a management roll and knows what it takes to give it's "customers" what they want.

The problem is unless the person runs a campaign and invest a lot of time and effort it's very doubtful anyone will elect him. So basically you end up getting a person that is popular and has a lot of support struggling to figure out how to keep that support instead of pleasing the customers.

Do KCBS board members receive compensation in any form? No I'm not interested, just curious why some may be:p

Life would be wonderful if everything were black and white. Nothing becomes simple as soon as money is involved. Someone has to run the organization.

Is there more to this than I know??? Are they volunteers? I have an idea, if everyone hates it so much why doesnt anyone boycot? People just like to bitch. Like BP, its the busiest gas station in my area but three months ago everyone hated them. Sometimes you just have to deal with what is dealt and if this is truly a business and you dont like how its ran, GO ELSEWHERE. Simple...

Is there more to this than I know??? Are they volunteers? I have an idea, if everyone hates it so much why doesnt anyone boycot? People just like to bitch. Like BP, its the busiest gas station in my area but three months ago everyone hated them. Sometimes you just have to deal with what is dealt and if this is truly a business and you dont like how its ran, GO ELSEWHERE. Simple...

Matt, I understand your point but don't agree. You've had some success at competition BBQ that is well earned. You've been able to reap some of the benefits from the organization. Some of the things that you may appreciate about KCBS have been made possible by the work of others that felt contributing to the organization was worthwhile. If nobody gave a flip, where would that organization be?

Beyond that, paying members have every right to voice their opinion and/or bitch. It's no different than owning stock in a company. When KCBS accepted my payment for my membership I went from being a customer to an investor.

Matt, I understand your point but don't agree. You've had some success at competition BBQ that is well earned. You've been able to reap some of the benefits from the organization. Some of the things that you may appreciate about KCBS have been made possible by the work of others that felt contributing to the organization was worthwhile. If nobody gave a flip, where would that organization be?

Beyond that, paying members have every right to voice their opinion and/or bitch. It's no different than owning stock in a company. When KCBS accepted my payment for my membership I went from being a customer to an investor.

I completely understand your point also. Just dont see the point in bitching about something you voluntarily joined and knew what it was going in. I have not been in comp bbq for 10 years but long enough to see how far it has come. But who cares, lets not agree that this gets a little out of hand IMO.:p

Good thread Mr Contemplative Moderator. A couple of answers to questions asked by others. The elected members of the BOD are not paid. They volunteer their time for meetings and committee work. To do a good job that's probably 20 hours per month especially with 5 hour meetings. They do get expenses to go to 4 meetings a year (2 are planning retreats). It usually includes the banquet meeting but I understand they still need to pay for their meal. Obviously any spouse expenses are not covered although they can share a room.

And one meeting is usually the first of the new year where all are encouraged strongly to attend. So if you run for the BOD better look up the meeting schedule and make that weekend available. They put this in back in 2005/2006 when I ran for the BOD. I know this year it could conflict with somebody's wedding in Florida if plans continue to develop. But I'm not putting in my name as a candidate so it should be fine.

Now when I said 20 hours per month that means answering emails from cranky members who think somebody cheated or the rule is wrong or the scoring system is wrong. Plus there really is committee work for some. I assume the treasurer reviews the monthly accounting done by the office and verifies all expenses are valid and that all incomes was correctly booked. I guess Secretary is even more work as a 5 hour meeting needs to be captured in the minutes.

And I totally agree with the comments on Directors being leaders and having staff led by the Executive Director do the work as instructed by the BOD. I for one can not understand why every contest is reviewed by the BOD. The office should present a report to the Director in charge and he/she should say this is a problem and here's what we need to do about it. Or they go to their committee of volunteers to get opinions. Lastly the BOD should meet every other month or every quarter. Committee chairs should be empowered. If a contractual issue comes up between meetings that can't wait then have an emergency meeting by phone to discuss the contract and only that contract. Nothing else.

Please allow me to step off my soapbox now and go to bed.

Is there more to this than I know???

Most likely.

Are they volunteers? I have an idea, if everyone hates it so much why doesnt anyone boycot? People just like to bitch. Like BP, its the busiest gas station in my area but three months ago everyone hated them. Sometimes you just have to deal with what is dealt and if this is truly a business and you dont like how its ran, GO ELSEWHERE. Simple

Sooo... your ideas are to 1.) Boycott or 2.) Go elsewhere? Maybe some of us care about KCBS more than that. :rolleyes: Both of your ideas involve giving up or quitting. I'd prefer to have board members just like George and Guy and a couple of others mentioned... ones with some experience that will work together to solve the problems and right the ship. Sounds like a lot better plan than stupid boycotts or walking.

I firmly believe in the statement "If you don't vote then you have no right to bitch". I pay my dues because I think that KCBS, as a whole, is a very good thing. I also think that KCBS is not now (and probably never will be) the perfect organization. We, the dues paying members, have the right to elect representitives who will run KCBS in the best and most ethical way possible. And if they don't do so --- we have the right to replace them.

KCBS members should care about the elections. Review the past year and select very carefully those running in this next election. I also agree whole heartedly with Diva, The Slabs.com that you should be concerned who is in cahoots with now serving BOD members. It's a two-sided board butting heads making the meetings a 5+ hour session. It's gone on long enough and let's get some cookers in there to stop the bickering over insignificant details and the changing of rules every month.

Back