Why are ribs sexy?

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
It seems like out of all the competition meats, ribs are the sexiest. Everybody wants to cook ribs and everyone wants to eat them. In most contests, the point differential is the smallest between all of the people that place in ribs. No one ever seems to win ribs by a landslide.

Anybody have an ideas about this phenomenon?

It's the most primal meat. Pick up with your hands and tear into with your teeth meat. Suck the cooked on sauce off your fingers meat. Gnaw on the bone meat.

It's caveman meat. Fred Flinstone had what delivered at the drive in? Weren't chicken.

Im with Prof Salt. It finger food. People love finger food. Its another sence that you use in eating. Chicek is sometheing that most people can cook so it dosent come off as sexy. But a good rib cooker well that a good thing.

Side note: I know there are Brrethren that have not master knife and fork skills, so they would call all BBQ finger food.

I would say because they are the easiest to screw-up, and when done right, man.......get me a strecher, cause i anit gonna be able to walk after a good pile-o-ribs! LOL

Ribs are sexy because they along with chicken are BBQ to most people. Ever hear of a McBrisket? How about a Wendy's pulled pork?

Paula Dean is sexy for 2 reasons, cream and butter........LOL

not sure but most peolple love my team name

681254061207_0_BG.jpg

They just look better. Thin cut, shiny glaze, they just look great!

Last edited:
Admin note:
scrubbed and returned to ON-Topic forum. keep it on track folks.

for me, it's just not ribs, but ALL food and especially anything cook on a pit

so it can be said for ribs as well, that ribs sustain us. ribs activate every one of our senses; touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing

touch: grabbing a rib and having the sauce gently coat your fingers is sensual. sucking the sauce off each and every finger is sensory overload

taste: biting into the tender flesh and the sweet, smokey flavor coats every membrane in your mouth awakening and arousing every taste bud

smell: along with taste, the sweet smell of ribs smoking on the pit. you move to get into the smell zone and you are tingling with the anticipation of what is to come

sight: just one look of a glistening, well slathered slab is enuf to bring you to your knees

hearing: can you 'hear' ribs? well maybe not the rib itself, but you can hear others respond to the sight of ribs when you uncover a pan of several slabs of ribs and they gasp in utter pleasure at what they are about to receive. you can hear the moans and groans as the relentless feeding frenzy begins... and then in the end, every sense is satisfied

:biggrin:

Wow Rick !!! I think we need to get you a private room so you can have some alone time with those ribs !!! :biggrin:

Seriously - very well thought out.

Mista - Another reason could be that ribs have the most consistent flavor profile. I think the other three categories probably see the most experimentation as far as marinades, injections, dry rubs, times etc. that can alter taste.

Just speculation but I also think a lot of teams may be using similar sauces in full or as a base(ex. Blues Hog, Head Country, KC Masterpiece, Cattlemans).

Last edited:
Seriously I believe it all has to do with advertising chains use ribs to bring people into their place. And also it wasn't too many years ago that a lot of BBQ joints in the Midwest only served ribs then chicken you hardly even found beef in a BBQ joint unless you were in the deep south then it was pulled pork then ribs.

Back