• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sam's Choice Briqs

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Bought a bag yesterday at the local Wally World. 18 lb. bag was around $4.50. Anyone ever use this stuff ?

I had a couple bags I won at a class, it was fine. The briqs seemed larger than Rancher or Kingsford. I'd use it before I buy a bag of that crap Rancher!

Ya, I asked the wife to bring home some charcoal the day I was going to season the new Party. She came home with this Sams Choice briquettes. :icon_smil

It actually wasn't too bad. The briq's are much bigger than standard, and I kinda like that. Its made by Royal Oak. Seemed to leave alot more ash than normal Royal Oak briqs though.

I use it in my UDS all the time, IMO price per pound/burntime is great. It does leave a lot of ash though so i dont use it in my kettle.

I've used them in the past,and it seems to work than other brands.

I thought Best Choice was made by Royal Oak? Maybe that was just the Best Choice ~ Lump...

Brett

I use it, and agree it is a great price to burn time deal. I have heard also that it is made by Royal Oak, but never found any evidence to substantiate that. Lots of ash, but not any more than Kingsford. Burn it an be happy!

Last edited:
I use it regularly, and agree it is a great price to burn time deal. I have heard also that it is made by Royal Oak, but never found any evidence to substantiate that. Lots of ash, but not any more than Kingsford. Burn it an be happy!

I know on the old type packaging it was in small print, something like Produced and packaged for Sams by Royal Oak Inc. Havent looked at the new packaging.

Here is a rave review for the Sam's Choice Charcoal Briskets:wink:

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/12/133/Sams-Choice-Charcoal-Briquets/160802

Last edited:

WOW! After reading that thread I feel I should go home and sit the bags on the curb! :shock:

Seriously, maybe Wally's pushed RO to change the formula, cause I just haven't had any issues with the 2 bags I bought recently to try, other than huge amounts of ash generated by the briquettes. I used them in a 6 hour cook of some ribs a few weeks ago and they got up to temp and burned as long as the last bag of Kingsford I used. So I guess I'll call my experiment a better experience than what some have had. I go back and forth between this and RO Lump, because the Lump just sparks like a fireworks show, but the Sam's Choice isn't any worse than any other briquette IMO....

Thanks for the link Mista. Gator must have remembered the thread.

Paul

I use Sam's Choice all the time...for these reasons......its cheap, it burns well for me, and i don't notice anymore ash than anything else I've tried.....now...let's talk about cowboy lump:roll::biggrin:

Back