Grilled pizza tutorial W/pics

boberosabbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Real Simple
Make up two zones on the grill a hot side and warm side
Hot side I usually run at 3 seconds of my hand over it until I have to pull away.
The warm side only has 4-5 pieces of lit lump under it.

Make dough and get toppings ready
IMG_1865.jpg

put flat dough on hot side of grill leave until bottom is browned about 45 seconds -1 min rubbed down with EVOO
IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Flip over onto warm side of grill brush EVOO on the browned side
IMG_1868.jpg

Place on sauce and toppings
IMG_1871.jpg

Close lid and let cheese melt once its melted slide back to hot side to crisp up bottom of the crust usually no more tha 1 min pull off grill
IMG_1872.jpg

3 pizza's done and eaten in a hurry.
IMG_1873-1.jpg

Its the real deal brothers some of the best pizza I've ever eaten and I'm not just saying that ask any one who has had it. Most people request it when we have em over for dinner. Really ought to try it.

Care to give away your dough recipe? Seems every time I make pizza dough, its too thick & rises too much. Cant seem to make a thin crust to save my arse.

Nice looking pies BTW.

Great tutorial and nice pics! I too can't make a decent dough that I can work with, maybe when life slows down a bit I'll work at it, until then I'm using Papa Murphy's Take n' Bake and add my own touch!

Brian

My wife has a recipe, I'll see if I can get it sometime. I've done the grilled pizza a few times and it turned out pretty good. The dough can be thick or thin, it's all in how you roll it or pull it out. She likes thin crust, I'm more of a deep dish kinda guy. The thick ones are a little harder to grill though in my experience.

Great job! Thanks!

Here's a little pizza dough secret...

Go to your favorite pizza place and ask if you can buy some of their dough. Most places will sell it to you.

Don't forget dessert pizza too...

grilled pizza dough, grilled peaches, cannoli cream, honey, sliced almonds mint leaves and some apricot & peach preserves

Last edited:
I thought pizzas were supposed to be round. What shapes are those? Is that the Trapezoid, Rombus mod for pizza crust?

J/k looks awesome and makes me hungry.

That Pizza Looks Great !! Definately will be on my "To Do List"...Thanks for the Great Pictures...and the step by step instructions !!

here's the recipe works great, tastes great, and its easy

.25 oz packet of active dry yeast
1/4 tsp granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree water
1 3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp salt

1. Dissolve yeast, sugar and water let sit for 8-10 min(proofing)
2. Combine flour and salt
3. Pour yeast muxture onto flour mixture
4. Mix until dough is tacky to just a little sticky
5. Knead for two minutes on floured surface.
6. The above step is the trickiest you have to get the consistency right. The dough ball should not stick to your hands yet still should begin to sag 3-4 inches whe you grab it and hold it in the air from the top of the doughball.
7. clean all the flour off your worksurface and coat the doughball in EVOO
8. This is when I light up my coal and get the grill hot. The dough doesn't have to rise you don' t really want it to. But that 20 minutes or the grill heating up seems to let me get the dough to that 1/8 of an inch to 1/4 of and in thickness and keeps it there otherwise it shrinks up on you as you flatten it.
9. Like I said above flatten out the dough on a pizza peel or cookie sheet(well oiled) to 1/8 to 1/4 thick I don't keep it uniform in thickness or make it round it gives the pizza "character" as I call it. Personally some of the thin spots get a nice charr on them and they give some great flavor.
10. I then coat the top of the flattened dough with EVOO and take it to the grill. I use a peel and just flip the dough so the oiled side goes on the grill first. Usually it folds up a bit so I just spread it back out on the grill grates. The beautiful thing is it doesn't stick when the grill is that hot.

Hope that helps. Its a family recipe straight from the Italian side so I didn't really have to do much to it just started making it on the grill.

I also have a great sauce recipe but my grandmother would roll over in her grave if I let that one out.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Pizza Stones Work Great Too

I have had great luck with doing pizza on a stone as well. Slowly warm the stone until you hit 350' to 375' then throw on your dough and let it cook until nearly finished, add your sauce and ingredients (I used some grilled Italian sausage and some leftover beer can chicken) and melt the cheese until the desired doneness is achieved. It seams with the stone I can get a far better rise on my crust then I can in direct grilling contact.

PS My name is Mark and I am a longtime reader of the post. I currently have a Brinkman SKD that I am working on mod'ing as well as my grill in the post.

Attachments

• grillza.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 292
Good post. Note the 4th pic that shows the channels in the crust. That's what I aim for too. My only suggestion is that people experiment with other flours like whole wheat.

This is the key to a great pizza dough. Do not use the rapid rise yeast as it will do just that, rapidly rise. This causes the dough to be more chewy.

Another secret is to make the dough a day in advance, roll it into a tight ball, and then store it in the fridge overnight. The dough will absorb a lot of the yeast's belches and will be more flavorful. Note that the yeast will not die or go to sleep in the fridge. They just won't burp as much as they do on the counter. :-D The next day, take it out and let it rise for about 30 minutes before making the crust.

Getting the pizza onto the cooking surface as quickly as possible will give a crunchier crust while letting the dough sit for about 30 minutes after rolling out, but before topping and cooking, will give it a chewier crust.

Yep, I think thats where Ive been screwing up.

This is the key to a great pizza dough. Do not use the rapid rise yeast as it will do just that, rapidly rise. This causes the dough to be more chewy.

Another secret is to make the dough a day in advance, roll it into a tight ball, and then store it in the fridge overnight. The dough will absorb a lot of the yeast's belches and will be more flavorful. Note that the yeast will not die or go to sleep in the fridge. They just won't burp as much as they do on the counter. :-D The next day, take it out and let it rise for about 30 minutes before making the crust.

Getting the pizza onto the cooking surface as quickly as possible will give a crunchier crust while letting the dough sit for about 30 minutes after rolling out, but before topping and cooking, will give it a chewier crust.

Thanks for all the good advice.

Here's a pic from my very thick crust pizza. I set my pizza stone on top of 2 fire bricks that were on edge.
KCQuerpizza2.jpg

KCQuerpizza1.jpg

Back