The Salt Lick in Austin Texas

Hoppy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Have any of you been there before?

We are going to go there this spring with my Son and Daughter in Law.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-25-22-14-05-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-25-22-14-05-1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 178
It's a cool place and be sure to take a cooler of beer and enjoy the experience. There isn't anything quite like it from what I know. For other great BBQ experiences I'd head to Lockhart or spend some time in Austin at Franklin, JMMC and la Barbecue for some amazing barbecue.

One of my favorite places, been going there since the late 70s. If you go on the weekend, expect a wait, in the summer I've seen 3 hours (I've also seen no wait in the afternoon). On the plus side, you can bring your own beer/wine (or buy next door at their winery), they have tables in the waiting area (I suggest bringing a set of dominos), and they have a band/singer to entertain.
When faced with more than an hour, we often get it to go, then take it over to the winery or to the waiting area and eat there or actually take it home.
Bring cash, they don't take credit.

Went there once about 8-10 years ago for a wedding rehearsal dinner. We thought it was good BBQ in a very nice setting but definitely not Lockhart quality. If you have to wait, it's a great place to hang out sipping a beer.

Now if you're with a group of people not fanatical about BBQ like the Brethren are you'll probably have a real good time and most people will think it's great que. Not everybody wants to stand in line for a couple of hours for Franklin's que ( I would gladly but my wife would prefer going somewhere else).

Marty, thanks for posting the above article.

We've been there before a few years ago, the one actually in Driftwood is the one you want to go to. We liked the food quite a bit, and we sampled many of the meats. Plus the vibe of the place is pretty cool, at least it was when we were there, summertime with a band playing. It's a little $$$ for BBQ, but I'd go there again.

Not that you asked... But, the only place we've been in Lockhart was Kreuz, and honestly, I thought it sucked, and my wife hated it. It was a neat place, but the food was terrible. I'd put some of my worst efforts up against what we were served. The brisket was like over done dried out roast. I've had better at Dickey's. I've heard great things about Smitty's and Black's, but haven't eaten at them...yet.

We've also eaten at Mueller's in Taylor. I really liked it, but the wife was neutral. Got a dino bone just for posterity, and geez that thing is huge. Also tried their brisket and sausage. All were good.

For the "been there" experience, it is cool. For the quality of Q, I think you can do a lot better. The open pit and the mop (there is a funky back taste to everything from the mop) look great but severely detract from the flavor and texture of the meat. As mentioned, the one in Driftwood does not take credit cards (although the one in Round Rock does - I did not notice a difference between the two as the product went. The one in Driftwood has the cool factor, but the one in Round Rock is FAR superior in terms of customer service).

My "short" list of places that I think are better and are roughly in the area...

- Franklin – Austin
- John Mueller Meat Co – Austin
- La Barbecue – Austin
- Miller’s – Belton
- Snow’s – Lexington
- Cooper’s – Llano
- Black’s – Lockhart
- Chisholm Trail – Lockhart
- Kreuz Market – Lockhart
- Smitty’s – Lockhart
- City Market – Luling
- Louie Mueller – Taylor

In my opinion, Salt Lick in Driftwood is a great place to experience but there is better BBQ to be had in the area. That being said, it is well worth the effort to go there.

I live right down the road from it and well the food isn't bad but it isn't great. The experience and the folks are nice. For what its worth, if you haven't been and would like to experience a themed Texas experience that is quite fun with consistent food priced accordingly you will have fun. But if your lookin' for excellent bbq you can find better and very close by..... imho

Have a great trip...

From what I recall, the open pit is more of a warming/finishing pit.

It was the one place I wanted to get to that I decided to pass on, mainly because I was so full from all the other places.

The Salt Lick get's slapped around a lot, but I personally like the food there. That was one of the places we ate when I did Bluebonnets and Barbecue drives through the Hill Country in the Spring. Nobody ever complained.

CD

I read somewhere that they cook on gas pits and warm everything up in the open pit.. Never been myself, so I can't comment on how good it is.

You should go once for the experience, bring a cooler of beer and the bbq is certainly not bad. But like most are saying on here, plenty of places in Austin and surrounding areas that are better.

Salt Lick is good, fun experience I like taking the back roads from SA to Driftwood. It is beautiful when there is water running through the creeks.

You will not believe how big the Driftwood location is, I was there on a warm day last May, there were multiple buses and hundreds of cars in the gigantic car park and a thousand people or more at the venue. It's more akin to a festival than a BBQ restaurant! The food was good and I'd certainly go back again.

9314129406_0274a07e03_c.jpg

I think the restaurant suffers from Tall Poppy Syndrome!

Back