Contest Announcment Kansas Winter Q Feb. 7 & 8, 2014

bignburlyman

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The Kansas Winter Q will be held February 7 & 8, 2014. The Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship will be held during the contest, so we are hoping for a large turnout of top teams. A list of the qualifiers is attached below . Entry fee for the Kansas Winter Q will be $175, you can pay when you sign in on Friday of the contest. Minimum prize pool will be $6125 which includes appetizer category. If enough teams enter the prize will be increased. A local tire sponsor has donated a set of light truck tires, ($750 value) to be awarded to the rib category winner, and another set of tires to be given in a drawing of the cook teams (excludes rib winner).

About 25 indoor heated 10x10 spaces are available for teams without a camper for prep and hanging out, some also set up cots. Cookers are outside.

Last event there were 59 teams, we hope for more this year. We have an appetizer contest Friday evening, entry is free and you can enter as many times as you want and can even have them prepared before arrival, make enough to turn in and have extras to share with the other teams during the cook meeting. We also have a trash can chili supper, all the teams bring a quart of chili that we mix together and serve after the cooks meeting. A breakfast will be served Saturday morning, scrambled eggs and a meat will be provided. Teams are asked to bring a breakfast item to share.

The website (kansaswinterq.com then click on the Winter Q link) has the entry form and payout info there. If you are interested in entering fill out and send in the entry form now, just so we have your current info, you can pay when you arrive. Hope to see you in February.

David Keyse
BBQ Committee

Attachments

• 2013 Chest to Chest 2.pdf
    46.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 2014 Chest to Chest 2.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 92
I can't wait! This will be our first comp of 2014... Time to get back to testing new recipes all winter long. It's hard work, but someone has to do it! :)

Josh, it will be great to have you. If you happen to bring a 1500 along you won't miss it if it dissapears will you? :becky:

The Kansas Winter Q will be held February 7 & 8, 2014. The Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship will be held during the contest, so we are hoping for a large turnout of top teams. A list of the qualifiers is attached below . Entry fee for the Kansas Winter Q will be $175, you can pay when you sign in on Friday of the contest. Minimum prize pool will be $6125 which includes appetizer category. If enough teams enter the prize will be increased. A local tire sponsor has donated a set of light truck tires, ($750 value) to be awarded to the rib category winner, and another set of tires to be given in a drawing of the cook teams (excludes rib winner).

About 25 indoor heated 10x10 spaces are available for teams without a camper for prep and hanging out, some also set up cots. Cookers are outside.

Last event there were 59 teams, we hope for more this year. We have an appetizer contest Friday evening, entry is free and you can enter as many times as you want and can even have them prepared before arrival, make enough to turn in and have extras to share with the other teams during the cook meeting. We also have a trash can chili supper, all the teams bring a quart of chili that we mix together and serve after the cooks meeting. A breakfast will be served Saturday morning, scrambled eggs and a meat will be provided. Teams are asked to bring a breakfast item to share.

The website (kansaswinterq.com then click on the Winter Q link) has the entry form and payout info there. If you are interested in entering fill out and send in the entry form now, just so we have your current info, you can pay when you arrive. Hope to see you in February.

David Keyse
BBQ Committee

David, just a correction to your records... Swinestone Cowboys were 1st place in Brisket at the North Platte Honky Tonk competition on 5/4/2013... not Parrothead. Parrothead won it in 2012. So hopefully we have an invite! ;)

David, just a correction to your records... Swinestone Cowboys were 1st place in Brisket at the North Platte Honky Tonk competition on 5/4/2013... not Parrothead. Parrothead won it in 2012. So hopefully we have an invite! ;)

Sorry about that, I now have it changed on our records. Thank you and hope to see you there Capn Kev!

:eusa_clap I like the indoor space for us tent dwellers! Might have to put this one on the list....

I'm very interested in this contest, however, when I go to kansaswinterq.com, the information listed is for 2012. Any updated info (other than what is posted at the top of this thread)?

I'm very interested in this contest, however, when I go to kansaswinterq.com, the information listed is for 2012. Any updated info (other than what is posted at the top of this thread)?

Kent is sometimes slow getting the website updated, but all the info for 2012 is the same for 2014. The entry form on the website is not date specific so if you just fill it out and send it in so we have your info that is all we need until you get here.

Any other questions I will try my best to answer.

David Keyse

Just had a discussion with Kent, the organizer. He has added the 2012 and 2013 winner of the Sam's Club National BBQ Tour brisket category for invitation to the Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship. So congrats to the 2012 winner, There's No Place Like Smoke, and 2013 winner Chatham Artillery BBQ.

Kent said There's No Place Like Smoke plans to compete, so we will welcome them to Central Kansas in February.

Back