Help: BBQ Magazine - Favorite Items

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

We are hoping to release a holiday edition buying guide in a December issue of Smoke Signals. This would be a very abbreviated edition with gift suggestions and recommendations for vendors that have excellent customer service.

There will be two distinct sections:

1) Product recommendations in various categories and subcategories. For example, Smokers under $500.00, Smokers under $1000.00, Smokers under $5,000.00

2) 'Recommended' manufacturers/vendors. This will be a designation awarded based on customer service and product quality.

Both 1 and 2 will be voted on by you, the experts.

We need some suggestions on how we can avoid vote harvesting by someone that wants to game the system.

We need a name for the recommended manufacturers/vendors. I like the alliteration of Smoke Signals Selects, but I'm not thrilled with it.

We need recommendations on product categories. So far we will have Smokers, Grills, Vinegar Based Sauce, Mustard Sauce, Red Sauce, Hot Sauce, Smoker Accessory, Grill Accessory, Instant Read Thermometer, Probe Thermometer, Chicken Rub, Beef Rub, Pork Rub, All Purpose Rub, Cooking Tools and Knives.

We need recommendations on quality manufacturer/vendors. Companies that you have worked with in the past and would be happy to do so again in the future.

Any thoughts that you might have would be appreciated.

Smoke Signals magazine is your magazine. It's published by the BBQ Brethren and is fully created by volunteers. As always, you can view all back issues at: www.smokesignalsmagazine.com

Thanks!

Eric

recommended manufacturers/vendors - Smoke Signals Prime Selections (play on USDA ratings)

Grill accessories - Craycort cast iron grates

Bump...

I'm interested in seeing everyone's suggestions that I can add to my Xmas list :wink:

About the only thing I can think of adding to the product catagories is fuel, briqs or lump (a list for each, not a debate). that could be a whole issue by itself lol

I have only used one online vendor and that is Big Poppa Smokers which I find to be excellent

I know its not much but hope it helps gets the ball rolling as I see you are not getting many replies

Smokers under $500: 22.5" WSM
Under $1,000: Humphreys Half Pint
Under $5,000: Stump's Stretch XL

Recommended manufacturers: Weber, BGE, Simply Marvelous, Oakridge BBQ, Thermoworks

Another category to consider would be best BBQ websites to purchase from. Amazon, big poppa smokers, etc.

I have bought both my Backwoods and Yoder from St Louis BBQ Store and would recommend Ron to anyone looking for a smoker to contact him. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the list once completed.

Thanks everyone! Please keep the thoughts coming.

The writers have gotten their articles for Issue 13 in, so we are finishing up layout simultaneous to working on this.

Whatever input you have would be appreciated.

Eric

+1 for Big Poppa Smokers. I ordered some stuff and a therm from them a while ago. The therm wasn't reading right and Ernie Ball did just about everything imaginable to make things right, in the quickest time possible.

I have heard great things about Firecraft.com as well (no affiliation) but am yet to purchase anything from them.

Dizzy Pig rubs...

highest quality, freshest rubs & unique ingredients

For a bottled rub perspective, I've tried and liked many, but Dizzy Pig products are the ones I keep coming back to.

service is solid too.. good people.

For me, these are the standards:

Big Butz Sauces and Rubs
Simply Marvelous Rubs
Big Poppa Smokers for stuff
The BBQ Superstore for stuff
The Rub Company for rubs
Dizzy Pig for rubs

Those six companies (at a national level) represent the people who have never let me down. And when/if there was a problem, stood by their name.

Little known stuff:
Bart's Blazin' Q sauce is terrific and unique
Palo Alto Fire Fighters sauce is great stuff
Lucky Dog Hot Sauce is great stuff

Back