Detroit Area Resources

hase

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I am new to the forum. I live just north of Detroit and just got (in my opinion) a really cool UDS. I am curious if anybody in the area would be willing to share any good resources that they have found.

Any butchers / markets that you would recommend for meats? I live very close to Westborn, Holiday, and Holywood Markets.

Any Place that you recommend for spices / rubs / sauce?

Thanks in advance! I have already learned quite a bit in the last couple of days of reading!

If you can, get a membership at Restaurant Depot. Otherwise hit Eastern Mkt and go to Johnnies Meats on Gratiot across 75. Best selection and pricing.

Worst case stop in Lockharts and buy me a beer! ;)

If you can, get a membership at Restaurant Depot. Otherwise hit Eastern Mkt and go to Johnnies Meats on Gratiot across 75. Best selection and pricing.

do you mean Ronnies in the Gratiot market?

as far as area resources, besides RD there is also Butcher Packer, The Polish Market. I go to Hollywood once in a while but i think their meats are high, they do have a decent selection of sauces. They carry Tiger Sauce, one of my favorites

You can also drive out to Bass Pro, they have a good rub selection, notably Plowboys

and dont overlook Gordons Food Service

Depends on what you are looking for

Give Hassan Bros meats a try. 18 mile and Dequindre southwest corner next to michigan fireplace and grill. You won't find any pork there but the beef, chicken, and lamb are really good and reasonable.

Give Hassan Bros meats a try. 18 mile and Dequindre southwest corner next to michigan fireplace and grill. You won't find any pork there but the beef, chicken, and lamb are really good and reasonable.

hmm thanks gotta check that out. I work in Auburn Hills so its not too far to hit at lunch time

gotta be Halal meat too ;)

I purchase at Sam's club, I find the quality really good and consistent. When I have purchased at meat markets I have found too often I get some bad cuts or poor quality. This is over the past 30+ yrs. As for rubs etc, if you use a lot you can make your own real easy and a lot cheaper. But the wife and I do use a few spices. And these are just some of the ones in the kitchen.
rw1c.jpg

l56h.jpg

I'm on the eastside, and LOVE Mario's Meats on 10 mile at I-94. He's not the cheapest, but the quality is top notch. I also use RD and Sam's for meat and spices. Bass Pro has a nice selection of rubs, but nothing you can't get online from some of the fine members of this forum. Have fun with that UDS.

I would be happy to buy you a beer sometime. Yours is my favorite Q restaurant in the area..

Do you have an address for Johnnies? I tried googling to no avail.

As for the depot, don't you have to be a business / non for profit?

I would be happy to buy you a beer sometime. Yours is my favorite Q restaurant in the area..

Do you have an address for Johnnies? I tried googling to no avail.

As for the depot, don't you have to be a business / non for profit?

its RONNIES. If there is a Johnnies there I have never seen it

and yes on the depot, but all you need is your employers tax ID to get a card. thats all they wanted from me. I have nothing to do with the restaruant industry. they will give you a one day pass if you ask without joining

Being North of Detroit, I agree on Restaurant Depot. They have quality meats.
I also use Sam's most of the time because it's closer to home and the quality is pretty consistent and they sell IBP products.

I also get my Royal Oak Lump from RD, they normally sell the 17lb bag for 8.99 on sale, which...it always seems to be on sale.

They have better brisket than Sams, and much better cuts of meat for a better price.
The NY Strip/Loins I get from RD are better quality.

Being in Berkley, RD is right down the road from you...as is Sams.

@Toad. Drove by Marios hundreds of times...will have to stop in one day.
Boff's at 10 West of Van Dyke is good.

I used to get all my meat from Giglios in St. Clair Shores until they shut down...damn shame.

its RONNIES. If there is a Johnnies there I have never seen it

and yes on the depot, but all you need is your employers tax ID to get a card. thats all they wanted from me. I have nothing to do with the restaruant industry. they will give you a one day pass if you ask without joining

Thank you for the clarification on both points. I work not to far from the depot. Perhaps I will swing by this week.

I used to live just north of Detroit as well, in Windsor, ON. We always like to go to Eastern market to get corned beef at Wigleys.

Thank you for the clarification on both points. I work not to far from the depot. Perhaps I will swing by this week.

I often go there on my lunch

If you like, we can meet up there one day soon and I can get you in and take you through the place..

just a thought

If you're looking for fresh spices, there is a Penzey's Spices on 13 Mile Road just East of Southfield Road in Beverly Hills, MI.

Ditto on RD and Sam's Club and be careful of that "buy me "a" beer" trap Bubba always sets, I've never seen him drink "a" beer. LOL

Wow, lots of metro detroiters!

If you're ever downriver, check out cattlemans in taylor. Can't go wrong at ronnies in the eastern market. I've had the luxury of visiting a restaurant depot in the past, not for myself, but that place is magical.

Bass pro has a nice rub selection, as stated before. I also use the bbq rub from gfs, its cheap! And its actually pertty good. I'm not ashamed to admit it :p

We make a trip from time to time to the Eastern Market. Pretty much anything you want you can get there. Its worth the walk around to the different markets to see who has what out on any given day.

I often go there on my lunch

If you like, we can meet up there one day soon and I can get you in and take you through the place..

just a thought

I appreciate the offer! Next time you go, let me know and I'd be happy to meet you there.

Back