Please Judge our boxes

The S

Reaction score
Well the time has come for B.S. Barbeque to enter out first comp. We had a trial run last night. We are looking for feedback on our boxes. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thank You,
The S

Attachments

• 20130810_175601.jpg
    20130810_175601.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 656
  • 20130810_182352.jpg
    20130810_182352.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 657
  • 20130810_185725.jpg
    20130810_185725.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 655
  • 20130810_192913.jpg
    20130810_192913.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 654
Very nice looking boxes overall. These numbers are on the picky side but that is why you are asking to get a good opinion from a potential judge.

The chicken I would give it a 7 or 8 just because the pieces weren't all the same size.

The ribs would get an 8

The pork would get an 8 or 9

The brisket would get a 7 because the slices were not evenly placed and looked a little messy plus the burnt end chunks were not all the same size,

I'm curious, how do people get their chicken to be round like that? What part of the chicken is that, and do you buy it like that or cut it to look that way?They look delicious

The Chicken is thighs and we removed the bones and put them in large muffin tins. We had some rectangle ones with the bone in but these turned out nicer.

The S

I like them a lot, IMO, there was a little too much sauce on the pork, and possibly the chicken as well. I love the Ribs, though, and the brisket looks good, just a little sloppy. Even up the BEs, and space the slices better and it would be great.

Overall remark: you need to select your parsley better - you have yellow pieces in the boxes:

Chicken: 7, pieces are not consistent in size, sauce looks goopy, not nice and smooth
Ribs: 8, piece on right end is too short
Pork: 8, again sauce is goopy looking on slices
Brisket: 7, chunks of fat on top edges, slices too thick leading me to believe you are compensating for it being over cooked, burnt ends very inconsistent

how much parsley do you use per box? i just did a practice thigh box last night and used 3 bunches in 1 box.

Agree on sauce and parsley comments. For chicken and ribs it needs to be set in the smoker not applied just before boxing. General comment put more meat in. With those size thighs 9 is good. Cuts down on green space. Ribs can do 2 layers going front to back. Pork, cover up the green between meat with meat. Brisket, you only had 6 decent slices? Fill the box. And clean up the little scraps hanging on the slices. Tweezers work great for this.

Having said all this, it looks gret for a first attempt. It should be eay to make a few tweaks.

how much parsley do you use per box? i just did a practice thigh box last night and used 3 bunches in 1 box.

That is hard to say since bunch sizes vary. We used 3 per box our first comp. The last comp we bought 12 bunches from Giant and they were huge! Ended up using 1.5 per box.

How much parsley. I buy 16 bunches unless i get it at RD where the bags hold 10 each. Then I buy 20 and its cheaper than 16 at the store. Parsley is cheap. It also helps to build a box for each meat differently. As I fill almost the whole box with meat on all but chicken, you can use any color and shape parsley for all but the edges. Chicken there may be small gaps between pieces so I'm more careful. With the boxes shown in this post you can see there are areas we can't see on ribs and brisket. Imagine more meat to cover all but the edges. Cuts way down on time building boxes. Initially it took about 40 minutes per box. Now half that.

General impressions:

Chicken and pork too much sauce.
Ribs could be better aligned in the box.
Brisket haphazard - more attention to detail.
Multicolored garnish is distracting, especially the yellow.

To me, these boxes are in the 8 range for appearance.

Overall remark: you need to select your parsley better - you have yellow pieces in the boxes:

Chicken: 7, pieces are not consistent in size, sauce looks goopy, not nice and smooth
Ribs: 8, piece on right end is too short
Pork: 8, again sauce is goopy looking on slices
Brisket: 7, chunks of fat on top edges, slices too thick leading me to believe you are compensating for it being over cooked, burnt ends very inconsistent

+1 on above comment

Pork Tacos :0) at 1st glance
Brisket ya got to clean the top of the slices
Good first effort
I destroyed the evidence on my first boxes ;0)

Very nice looking boxes overall. These numbers are on the picky side but that is why you are asking to get a good opinion from a potential judge.

The chicken I would give it a 7 or 8 just because the pieces weren't all the same size.

The ribs would get an 8

The pork would get an 8 or 9

The brisket would get a 7 because the slices were not evenly placed and looked a little messy plus the burnt end chunks were not all the same size,
I agree

Thank you al for your responces. Your comments will be a great help in a couple weeks.

Chicken: 7, (maybe an 8 in person) but size is uneven (some rounder and some ho-ho shape,... and sauce is splotchy and too thick on some pieces.

Ribs: 8, 3rd rib from left has a round object on it, far right rib looks like an end rib and is out of place with the others, sauce looks a hair thick. Were you going for a 45° arrangement? Sometimes that hides slight size issues.

Pork: 8, nice amount of meat & selection, and it looks moist, but sauce is uneven and splotchy.

Brisket: 7, arrangement is off, loose frills of fat.... just curious but did you slice thick due to over-cooking? Burnt ends are irregular and look on the dry side (but brisket does not photograph well at all)

7-8 on Chicken not uniform maybe too much sauce
7-8 ribs...off color parsley really distracting align along the top
8 pork--just too much sauce for my thinking
7- brisket --slices not neat, need to be cleaned up, BE random sizing

but what do I know :)

chicken 7/8 - as others have said not equal in size or similar in shape, not a big fan of the round muffin pan but sometimes does turn out good sometimes not, gloopy sauce, could've worked another couple of pieces into that box

ribs 8 - maybe tried a double row of 4 ribs if not 5

pork 7/8 - too much sauce (gloopy like the chicken), the slcies might've been better w/ not sauce or just around the outside, no bark seen but I'm a bark shark

brisket 8/9 - not to much to ding here other than burnt ends uneven, slices might be cut a little too thick (hard to fully tell fom pic but pencil thick or thinner), looks like you cut one end of the slices off (maybe leave that on if it doesn't kill looks so slices are from side to side???)

Overall some decent boxes but you show too much green in all, try to work more meat in

And from the East German Judge:

Chicken - 4

The brown gloppy sauce is off putting. Looks like cold brown gravy was spooned over the chicken. I want to close this box, not dig in.

Ribs - 7/8

Whatever the little round object is on the third rib from the left is my eye is immediately drawn to it. The right rib is really ragged looking at the bottom
Garnish note - the multi hue garnish is distracting from the meat

Pork - 5
Looks more like Swanson TV dinner turkey in brown gravy. Again the splotchy thick gravy looking sauce is not appealing.

Brisket - 5/6
The ends in front are buried in the garnish and the 4th one looks like a crumb. Staining on the slices which are also buried in the garnish. Slices look roughly cut and all the splinter bark is distracting.

Back