Award winning ribs ?

Everyone has their own method based on the type of ribs (St. Louis trimmed spares vs. Baby backs, mostly) and their cooker.

Here is a recent thread that has some good info...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163116

Also, there is a site-specific Google search near the bottom of every page. Search for ribs and you'll have a lot of good reading :-D

I'd like to know too. Ribs were our best category last year and are our weak link this year, with no changes :twitch: Barbecue is nerve-racking.

Unfortunately there is no shortcut here other than practice unless you go to a class given by one of the more successful teams.

As mentioned above, many ways to get there and they all take a lot of practice.

In my experience though, it is more about nailing the texture than worrying about the taste in trying to get the win.

Good luck.

As mentioned above, many ways to get there and they all take a lot of practice.

In my experience though, it is more about nailing the texture than worrying about the taste in trying to get the win.

Good luck.

I definitely agree with this. In my short 3yr experience it seems that if the meat isn't tender it throws whatever good flavor you might have off. Our ribs were hitting well the first 5 events of this year and then 2 competitions in a row I screwed them up and they were not the right tenderness, but had the same flavor (rubs/sauces). Tenderness score were worse and so were taste. So I tweaked the cooking time, got them back to tender and had good ribs. Both tenderness and taste went up.

Other opinions may vary and other factors come into play, but for me if tenderness is off then my taste score will be lower.

Back