Akaushi Wagyu Beef Texas Hot Guts

RL Reeves Jr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a truckload of Akaushi Wagyu beef heading into Austin tomorrow. Will be giving it a variety of treatments but are most excited about making a mammoth batch of Texas hot guts.

We've been working on our sausage project for about a year and a half now and have been pleased with what we've put out.

But, this meat is so dear we're wondering if we're missing out on anything.

Advanced sausage makers please respond. We've got natural casings, plenty good salt n pepper and a big commercial smoker with a cord of dried hickory.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is a commercial project for our monthly supper club. Details http://bigbeefpopup.eventbrite.com/

Why on earth would you use that beef for sausages? At least the stuff from Japan, Akaushi is considered by many to be the finest beef in the world.

We're feeding 200 people. We're making Texas Red, CFS, Burgers and Hot Guts. Going for variety and ease in feeding a big crowd of people with 4 cooks. There's an Akaushi ranch an hour and half south of here in Yoakum, just taking advantage of using local meat. It may be sacrilege but it sure will taste good.

We're feeding 200 people. We're making Texas Red, CFS, Burgers and Hot Guts. Going for variety and ease in feeding a big crowd of people with 4 cooks. There's an Akaushi ranch an hour and half south of here in Yoakum, just taking advantage of using local meat. It may be sacrilege but it sure will taste good.

Not as good as almost any other easier thing I can think of, like simply grilling and serving:crazy:
Have you even thought about the fact that the meat in the casing will render HUGE amounts of liquid fat as soon as the meat gets to double body temperature???
This is a seriously bad plan, I think you'll end up glad you posted!

Well, if it's American Akaushi, it may not be nearly as fatty as I initially was thinking. I see your point and understand the plan. It's normally such great meat as grilled rare steaks. Best of luck with the feed.

My biggest suggestion would be pay special attention to fat content, that breed is fat central normally. I think your normal flavor profile, assuming you're doing a more modern mild black pepper style will be good

Landarc knows USA Akashi, I based my advice on Japanese beef from them.
I'm still confused over making sausages with premium flavoured grilling beef being easier but maybe there is something I'm not getting...
:noidea:

Trying to honestly be helpful here...

I agree to a degree Buccs. But, other side of the coin, the better tasting the raw materials, the better tasting the end result. Hot Guts is a big deal in some parts of Texas, more important than brisket or ribs.

Sounds like a good time brotha, do I have to buy tickets online due to tickets selling out or can me and a few friends show up an pay at a gate?

I think it sounds ridiculous, but that said, I would want to eat one!:hungry:

OK, meat discussion aside, who came up with a name like "hot guts"? How...appetizing!! :puke:

I never liked the name Hot Guts, but, that's the name.

The risk, and I am sure the OP is aware is that sausage with too much fat can do odd things, like burst during cooking, shrink a LOT out if the cooker and burn folks if served hot. Akaushi fat, similar to Kobe fat, melts at a lower temperature than normal suet or lard, it stays very liquid to temps just above 100 degrees once cooked. In a sausage, you run the risk if bursting on the plate, or once cut, the sausage dries out quickly.

I think it will be delicious, as the beef will taste great. And although I have never been to Texas, the versions of hot guts I have has out here seemed too dry to me, so theses guy just be perfect. It's worth noting that in Japan, this beef is normally served raw, or barely heated, because of it's low render point

Hot Guts is the age old, venerable term used to describe all beef Texas sausage. So named due to the copious amts of cayenne and black pepper.

We're honoring that tradition, these will be fiery.

Also, upthread, to me a genuine Texas sausage can be just as good as a high dollar ribeye. It's in my genes.

As to the event, this is our 9th one, they typically sell out in about 2 hours so if any brethren can come please arrive between 615-730ish to make sure you get fed.

@RL Reeves Jr
I get where you are coming from man. Hot guts are such a big part of the hill country's history how could you not go for it. And what better beef could you ask for than Wagyu. Unfortunately I don't have any expertise in sausage making but maybe someone who does will step up with some helpful advise.
Good Luck I know it will be fun.

Well, if you can get it locally and for a good price, then more power to you for using it in many different ways. Being that you are starting off with quality beef, it makes for that much better of a sausage. It's not everyday you get to eat sausage of that quality. Sounds like a great time. Let us know how it all turns out!

Bob

Back