• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lodge cast iron. Need some advice.

If you have one in the area, try stopping by a Home Goods, TJ Maxx, or Marshall's and see what they have in stock. I got my Lodge 12" Cast Iron Skillet for $12.99 from there.

This is it.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-12-Inch-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet/dp/B00006JSUB/"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic L10SK3 12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I bought the double dutch about 2 months ago (unfortunately not nearly as great of a deal) and I'm just waiting for a day to throw some extra seasoning cycles on it before using.

I'm pretty comfortable with using my skillet however I like chili and I'm concerned the tomato sauce will eat through the intial seasoning layer...trying to think what else to make to help season it.

I'm pretty comfortable with using my skillet however I like chili and I'm concerned the tomato sauce will eat through the intial seasoning layer...trying to think what else to make to help season it.

I have started seasoning my cast iron with Flaxseed oil – on a new item I will coat it and bake it at 325 degrees in the oven. I will coat and bake it 6-7 times before I cook with it.

Someone on this forum suggested that in another thread and I read more on it. It worked great for me.

Many great comments.
Once you venture into CI, you will be hooked!
Stay with Lodge, I just recently (on Sunday) got a gift of two "pizza pans"
The ideas was so I could make deep dish style pizza in our WFO.
All I can say is they are not Lodge, PERIOD.
They are sold under the Camp Chef name by Bed Bath and Beyond.
First they are not deep enough for "deep dish" style pizza, they are poorly cast with sharp edges, many pits and "pores", made in China and are going back!!!

Keeping them seasoned is very easy.

My current selection...

Attachments

• IMG_20130227_123048_965.jpg
    IMG_20130227_123048_965.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
I've been looking at the combo cooker myself for camping as I like the versatility. If you want to see what it can do, check out Cowgirl's blog, she uses one pretty regularly from the looks of all of her awesome cooks.

As far as the Dutch Oven goes, you need to decide how you are going to be cooking with it outdoors. If you have a camp stove for instance, you are going to want a Dutch Oven:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-L8DO3-Pre-Seasoned-5-Quart/dp/B00006JSUF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361992546&sr=8-3&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic L8DO3 Pre-Seasoned Dutch Oven, 5-Quart: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

If you are wanting to cook over coals, then you want a Camp Oven (its the one with feet that you can put coals on top of).

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-L12CO3-Pre-Seasoned-6-Quart/dp/B00006JSUH/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1361992592&sr=1-4&keywords=lodge+camp+oven"]Amazon.com: Lodge Logic Camp Dutch Oven: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

Either way, I'd get one with a bail handle. You won't regret having the handle for one handed transport of the Dutch Oven...it also helps in hanging the Dutch Oven from a shepard's hook or a tripod.

I was lucky enough to find a bunch of CI on craigslist a few years ago, one of which was a 12" lodge skillet. Easily my favorite skillet today. I also got a Lodge 16" camp skillet that I use every year at our annual Cub Scout camp out.

You might give CL a look. I got 6 skillets of all different sizes and makes for $60.

Back