New smokey mounttain 22 1/2

LA 433

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
ok so ive been following this site for a little bit now and finally got my 22 1/2 SM for x-mass. but ive been out of town this whole time and just got home and have som questions.

do i have to break it in

how do i break it in

The best way to break it in is to cook a pork butt. I do not believe they have to be broken in but will run a little hot until the inside gets gunked uo and seals all the air leaks. Enjoy they are great cookers.

I would just lightly wipe it out and start cooking. They don't require any seasoning.

It doesn't need to be seasoned. Clean it up, and start cooking. It may run a little hot for the first couple of cooks because of the high gloss on the surface reflecting radiant heat.
Now get it dirty.

I washed the cooking grate, wiped the inside clean with a wet rag, let it dry, sprayed canola oil all over the inside, lit a fire, added chickens, ribs and a picnic, a little hickory chunks and called it good. Part of the seasoning process is get somewhere and buy a Foodsaver and lots of bags. Your gonna need them. Welcome to the addiction. We understand.

Load that jewel up with four to six butts and let her rip!

I washed the cooking grate, wiped the inside clean with a wet rag, let it dry, sprayed canola oil all over the inside, lit a fire, added chickens, ribs and a picnic, a little hickory chunks and called it good. Part of the seasoning process is get somewhere and buy a Foodsaver and lots of bags. Your gonna need them. Welcome to the addiction. We understand.

I did the same exact right down to the foodsaver. Awesome pit, let the good times roll!

No seasoning is needed. You will want to wash it out with some dish-soap and water, to remove any manufacturing oils -- or you can burn them out if you want to waste fuel.

The main purpose of "seasoning" a cooker is to seal the metal and prevent rust. Weber grills are porcelain-enamel coated, so "seasoning" isn't really necessary.

CD

Back