View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
The results are in:

I was concerned about trying something new for the family, so, I woke up early and did a test cook (Steak and Eggs for Breakfast...yeah baby).

The Tri Tip felt soft to the touch, but definitely not what I would call mushy at all.

After cooking to 140, resting, and slicing, I ended up with a very tender Tri Tip Roast. Definitely more tender than without using tenderizer. It reminds me of prime rib tenderness. If you consider that mushy....so be it.

Because I used a lot of soy in the marinade, along with seasoned Papaya tenderizer, I thought the meat was a bit too salty. My wife tasted it and said it was perfect.....what did I expect from a soy based marinade?

So, when I cook for the group this afternoon, I'll rub with some Sugar in the Raw brown sugar to balance out the salt.

My thoughts:

1) Regardless of what the science says, marinade makes meat taste more moist and flavorful.
2) Regardless of what the science says, tenderizer makes Tri Tip even more tender, and zero mush even after two days in the marinade.
I was going by this post that said when you cook for the group this afternoon. I guess within the couple hours of the time stamps from this post to the current ones, you had already done the cook. Again, just trying to show you what a tenderizer will do by showing you what other members have gone through. You can call it whatever you want. I'm thinking it's a case of being overly sensitive, but that's just me. Whether it's before or after, the thread is still out there for people to comment about it, even in general terms.

Enjoy your holiday.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote