Tried scamming me twice this week.

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've got two emails like below twice this week. Watch out for them!

1st one

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for individual Chicken Caesar Salad Individual wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 7th December and pick up time is 3pm and it's for my Mom's Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my courier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below......

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,

2nd one

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for Grilled Chicken Salad Wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 14th December and pick up time is 3pm and it's for my Mom's Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my carrier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below......

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,

ROFL...Tell John that he needs to provide his CC info.

You need to reply with this. "Sir, it would be more convenient for me to combine both orders together for both of your mothers' birthdays. Since this is such a special occasion for both of your mothers I want to ensure you get the freshest food possible. How do we arrange the shipping to Nigeria so this is possible?"

Thank you intergoogle:

http://aixelsyd13.wordpress.com/tag/john-simson/

The dreaded ‘individual Chicken Cæsar Salad Individual wrap’ scam…
Posted on November 19, 2011 | 5 Comments

Image by Tim Rodenberg via Flickr
At first, I thought this was someone mistaking me for McDonald’s (or another food place) again, then I thought it’s most likely spam. At any rate, I’m having some fun at some scammer’s expense. I don’t think English is their first language…

Date: Thu, Nov 17, 2011
Subject: Attn-My Mom Birthday Party (Chicken Caesar Salad)
To:

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for individual Chicken Caesar Salad Individual wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 29th November and pick up time is 3pm and it’s for my Mom’s Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my courier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below……

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,
John Simson
Always eager to help, I wrote back.

Subject: Re: Attn-My Mom Birthday Party (Chicken Caesar Salad)
To: john simson

Hello Mr. Simson,

It would be my pleasure to prepare your “individual Chicken Cæsar Salad Individual wrap” order for 150 people! Can I ask where you found my company’s contact information? We believe in strong kick-backs & discounts for referrals!

Would you like 150 wraps, or 200 or so …in case people want seconds? I’m somewhat unclear on your wording… perhaps you would like one giant individual chicken cæsar salad wrap that can feed 150 people?

Your mom is a lucky lady! To not only know 150 people, but to have a son like you that’s putting together such a grand event (with super-fine dining to boot) is an incredible thing. Perhaps you can up your count to 151 and I’ll hand deliver? I don’t have many friends, but I do like parties!

Would you like to stamp your mother’s name along with a happy birthday message on the outside of the wrap(s)? Advertising with printing directly on the wraps is standard for us, so it’s no big deal & not much of an extra charge for us to add a custom message. We feel that we must seize every opportunity to advertise.

Currently we’re working on exciting “edible” advertisements that will pass through your system and remind you of our catering services upon their exit. They always come out (well, usually always), but they’re not always readable. We need to work on a smooth non-stick or oily surface that always floats. We hope to be a leader in defecation-marketing!

I don’t have a personal cell phone, as I mentioned before… I don’t have many friends. I would prefer cash since I can deliver in person. Then you won’t need to worry about my address… and I’m not sure why you’re asking for a type of credit card when you’re the one paying me.

I can get back to you with the total cost once you tell me if you desire the custom birthday message, how many wraps exactly, and if you’ll need any side orders. May I reccomend the potato chips? They’re homemade, and each one is designed like a tasty business card! Also, I have a discount for friends, pending the party invitation. Maybe your courier agent and I can hang out? I like bicycles.

Looking forward to your business!
-Waldo Lunar

Reasonable enough questions, right?

To: Waldo Lunar <world.and.lunar.domination@gmail.com>

Thanks for the email,I want you to understand that am hearing impaired so the best way for me to communicate with you is via email and i can only make payment via my credit card.Thanks
WHAT? Heh. Sorry, that was tasteless. I still don’t know how they’re going to scam me by providing their credit card information. I don’t want to be baited into taking it either.

To: John Simson <jsimson01@yahoo.com>

Thanks again Mr. Simson,

We can do that then, no problem. I abhor the phone. See? We’re already forming the bonds of friendship! How is your mother? I hope she is well. Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I’m up to my eyeballs in turkey dinner preparation. I think there must be a holiday next week, we’ve had a big rush for individual turkey wraps.

I am uncomfortable taking credit information via email. Any type of card is acceptable. Would you be able to pay upon pickup or delivery? I can perhaps get one of those gadgets that connects to my work cell phone and swipes credit cards. I hear that Nigerian scams abound out there on the internet… people phishing for personal details, and what-not. They are indeed the scourge of the modern age, my friend. They prey upon the naive, and the kind-hearted like you and me.

May I ask, why you were inquiring about a type of card if you’re the one paying… and why about a personal cell phone if you’re hearing impaired? Is it to text? Have you looked into a TDD system?

Also, as far as the pickup address, which location would you prefer for a pickup?

If you could please answer the questions from my last email, it would help move things along. I also forgot to ask (silly me!) what the date of the party is?

I’m thinking cost-wise, we’ll be anywhere from $7 to $14 per person, depending on side options, possible drinks, portion sizes, and pending the custom matronly birthday wishes. I realize that it’s a steep price, but my individual chicken Cæsar wraps are the best in the tri-state area. “For real, son.” …as they said in the streets a few years ago. I joke, because I feel we will be great friends, John.

As soon as you answer all my questions, we’ll be good to go! What kind of dress is the party? I don’t want to show up in my tux if we’re all supposed to be in jeans! Or is there a theme? I went to a party one time where we all wore Hawaiian shirts. It was very exotic! Maybe with a chicken Cæsar theme, we could do a toga party? Or, if everyone wore flowered sheets, a Hawaiian toga party? Rome meets Maui! I could put pineapple rings on the wraps to decorate. I was also thinking if you’d like to attach a photo of your mother, we could also perhaps print that on the individual wraps? Do you have a ukulele? Maybe we can look up some Roman songs.

Please, respond at your earliest convenience my friend! You should practice this to impress your mother: “Donec mater grata luau in honore tuo! Sit amicus recens Waldo.” Google Translate is quite fun!

Malama pono salutem plurimam,
-Waldo

Your move, “Mr. Simson”!

Hello

I will like to speak to the owner or manager of the restaurant,My Name is Kely Benson and My only Son wedding is coming up on the 9th of December i have some in laws coming so i will like to order BBQ chicken salad or you can also send me your menu to choose the kind of food available for dinner for 150 guests dinner that are coming our inlaws and people we invited and it will be pick up by 4 pm by delivery co and payment will be made by my credit card Now so i will also need your name,address and phone number,cell phone number, due to my disability and i am at the hospital will undergo surgery in 3 days time so can u make it for me? So can i have the total cost of the food now with your name,address and phone number includes your cell phone number.I will await your email asap.

Note : I will want you to get back to me with the total cost of the food fees and all the expenses cost so that i can give you my credit card information.

Regards
Kely Benson

Send Email
Add to Contacts
Edit Contact

Send SMS/MMS
Add to Contacts
Edit Contact

The features you want. The control you need.
As a fully integrated part of Verizon’s 100% fiber-optic network. FiOS Digital Voice gives you HD-quality communication along with rock-solid reliability. It also gives you more than 20 advanced features that give you unprecedented control of the way you make and receive calls.
Order Now!

View Your Calls and Voice Mail Here Too!

You can see your homephone call log and voice mail in your Calls and Voice Mail
inboxes. You can also listen to your homephone voicemail from here as well!

Get Call logs and Voice Mail

I got this one

here was mine(and my response). I was getting them a few times a week. Guess my prices were to steep. :wink:

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Phil
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:14 AM
To: 'DEBBIE WILLIAMS'
Subject: RE: 300 People order[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sure, 50$ per head. $15,000, plus 25% gratuity $3750, Total $18,750. Each order comes with its own dish, fork, spoon and one half a paper towel. For $10 extra per person, we will send someone to help you eat it too. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Payment must be paid in full, 3 days up front, IN PERSON, CASH ONLY. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I will even throw in some sushi and kung po shrimp. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] DEBBIE WILLIAMS [mailto:debbieswill@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:21 PM
To: DEBBIE WILLIAMS
Subject: 300 People order[/FONT]

Am in the hospital now recovering from ear surgery and i will like to let you know that the event date is 14th September 2011 .

I will like to make an order for 300 people for my company 25th Anniversary
on the 14th September 2011. This is pick up order . And i want it in buffet style and picking up 3pm and also i will need napkins,silverware. etc. And it will be picking up 3pm on the event date. And also the event hall is just 35minute drive to your restaurant.

Chicken Sandwiches
With Sides: potato salad and chips and coleslaw.

So let me have the price per person and the estimate total for the 300 people order.

Email Me to:
debbieswill@gmail.com

Regards
Andy Washko

Thanks!

Thank you intergoogle:

Heh, thanks for sharing my link, colonel00! I found this forum from my WordPress dashboard. It shows incoming links, and I saw I had a few hits from here.

Is this an odd scam or what? I'm not sure of the point. They're trying to give their contact & credit card information? Is it a language barrier, or a comprehension problem? Ha ha. :crazy:

I don't even have a catering business. I just blog about goofy stuff, and occasionally food. (I do have a BBQ post or 2, but I'm more of an eater than a cooker when it comes to BBQ, ha ha.)

I have no idea how they would have obtained my info, other than they have a bot trolling the interwebs for an email address associated with text about food. I tried to ask "which location" to see if they realized that I don't even have a business name or anything.

I actually got another similar request that I'll post soon, with a slightly more engaging response. I wonder if it's the same people, that think I'm really that stupid... or if they took a really bad "how to be an internet scam artist" class, or what?

At any rate, I'm glad I'm not alone. I also hope small catering business owners out there don't fall for this, even though I'm not sure exactly what the "end game" is here.

Thanks for sharing, and glad you found it amusing!

Is it OK to reference and link to this Forum/Thread in my next post about the dreaded Grilled Chicken Caesar scam? Is it also OK to then post the link here? (I know you guys have rules about links, don't want to get out of line.)

Rock on!

There was a story in our local paper about a couple that wired $800.00 western union for some puppies and got scammed, while it is not the same scam, remember to never buy something and pay with western union, a western union transaction the scammer needs no ID

There was a story in our local paper about a couple that wired $800.00 western union for some puppies and got scammed, while it is not the same scam, remember to never buy something and pay with western union, a western union transaction the scammer needs no ID

My brother got semi burned in a legit business deal some years back. It worked out, but afterwards he made a personal rule. Never do business with someone that he could not reach across the counter and strangle if they were trying to scam him.

This is a form of a Courier Grift.

The grifter - in this case the emailer or in some cases a person calling via TTD - wants a large order of food. Rather than having the joint deliver - they will be sending a courier. As the courier requires cash payment, they will ask you to charge the credit card an additional amount - usually a few hundred to $1000 - and wire the money to the courier service. Why do you have to wire it? Well, the grifter is in the hospital & cannot take it or wire it to them & the courier does not accept credit cards (yeah right).

Of course - there is no courier service. It's nothing more than a receiving address for any one foolish enough to send the wire. Additionally - the credit card used it certainly stolen & will ultimately get rejected or the charges will be reversed.

This is a form of a Courier Grift...

That's really interesting & rather intricate... ha ha. Hard to believe that people fall for this kind of craziness.

I guess services like Western Union aren't held accountable for identifying those that use their services? Shady.

The grifter - in this case the emailer or in some cases a person calling via TTD - wants a large order of food. Rather than having the joint deliver - they will be sending a courier. As the courier requires cash payment, they will ask you to charge the credit card an additional amount - usually a few hundred to $1000 - and wire the money to the courier service. Why do you have to wire it? Well, the grifter is in the hospital & cannot take it or wire it to them & the courier does not accept credit cards (yeah right).

Of course - there is no courier service. It's nothing more than a receiving address for any one foolish enough to send the wire. Additionally - the credit card used it certainly stolen & will ultimately get rejected or the charges will be reversed.

That's really interesting & rather intricate... ha ha. Hard to believe that people fall for this kind of craziness.

I guess services like Western Union aren't held accountable for identifying those that use their services? Shady.

A little info about western union, if your brother loses all his money and ID while he is in Vegas you can wire him money with a code word, as long as he knows the code word you gave western union he could walk into any western union anywhere and get the money you wired him.

I have a buddy in Mesa, he and I were on the phone a couple years ago and he was telling me he had to run to the store to wire money to a guy in Florida to buy a car and the guy was even going to ship it for free, all for only $5500.00, I asked if he new the guy he said the guy gave him a password to put on the wire transfer so he would no it was legit, I saved my buddy a few bucks that day.

:doh: Well, they (or someone similar) tried again. I blogged about it (again) here: http://aixelsyd13.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/the-worst-scammers-ever-try-again/

AiXeLsyD13 said:
The worst scammers ever try again…

Posted on December 8, 2011 | Leave a comment
You read the Chicken Caesar Wrap Scam post, right? This familiar assault came at my inbox again. I wonder if Mr. Simson and Ms. Baker know each other, went to the same poorly taught “how to be an internet scammer” class, or are indeed the same person. If they’re not the same person, at the very least they bought the same email list or scan bot program.
Date: On Mon, Dec 5, 2011
Subject: Order for my Dad Birthday….
To: [blank?]
Hello
My name is Lori Sandra Baker and I would like to order individual grilled chicken Caesar salad in your restaurant,for 150 people on 13th of December and pick up time is 3 pm and it’s for my Dad’s Birthday Party and it will be picked up by Carrier Agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so can you make the order for me on that date while you get me the grand total of the foods inclusive of the tax fee,get back to me with the total cost,you can also get back to me.
Regard
I wrote back with a similar response to last time (some parts blatantly cut & pasted – is it plagiarizing if you steal from yourself?):
Date: Tue, Dec 6, 2011
Subject: Re: Order for my Dad Birthday….
To: lorisandra72@yahoo.com
Hello Ray & Lori,
Sounds like a great time! Would you like the salads in plain old salad form, or in Chicken Cæsar Salad wrap form? The wraps have been quite a hot item lately. May I ask where you found our humble establishment, and how you heard of our incredible Chicken Cæsar Salad? If you have a courier agent, I must assume you are quite fancy. Quite fancy indeed. I’m glad to have been noticed.
Would you like a full menu? We have quite a few price levels and advertising options to help keep the cost low. I also offer party planning, and discounts if I’m invited. (I don’t get out much, I’m always making Cæsar dressing and grilling chicken!) I could deliver, and we could do cash on delivery if that’s OK.
As far as pricing… Would you like to stamp your father’s name along with a happy birthday message on the outside of the wrap(s)? Advertising with printing directly on the wraps is standard for us, so it’s no big deal & not much of an extra charge for us to add a custom message. We feel that we must seize every opportunity to advertise.You heard of us somehow, right?
Currently we’re working on exciting “edible” advertisements that will pass through your system and remind you of our catering services upon their exit. They always come out (well, usually always), but they’re not always readable. We need to work on a smooth non-stick or oily surface that always floats. We hope to be the world leader in defecation-marketing!
I have a party theme idea for you too… Toga Luau. It’s going to be a thing, I tell you. It will be huge. Your dad can say “I had that party before it was cool.” I mean, brilliantly flowered togas? Let it simmer.
About the price… I like the show Pawn Stars. You ever watch? How about you give me a number that’s ridiculously low, and I’ll come back with an equally ridiculous high number, and we’ll negotiate.
Looking forward to your business!
-Waldo Lunar
From here on out there’s no mention of Ray, the name from the original email. I hope Ray is OK, and not tied up in his basement. At any rate, they continue:
To: Waldo Lunar [world.and.lunar.domination@gmail.com]
Hello
Thanks for the email Before you go Ahead i will like to Know if you accept Credit Card for Payment
Hope to hear from you asap
Regard
Regard, indeed.
To: Lori Sandra [lorisandra72@yahoo.com]
Hello Lori,
I can accept a credit card, I guess. I’m not sure if I like accepting credit card info. via email. Perhaps I should set up a PayPal account? From which of our locations would you like to pickup? I hear there are some shady people out there looking to grab cc info from emails.
Have you thought about the wraps, the advertising, the Toga Luau, and my invitation yet?
Also, come at me with a price!
OMGWTFBBQ,
-Waldo
Seriously, if I ever own a BBQ joint, that’s what I’m gonna call it. OMGWTFBBQ! Maybe OMG.WTF?BBQ! or something close. I bet there’s already one out there.
OMGWTFBBQ

Unfazed, it goes on…
i have Credit Card Not paypal ok
Getting testy?
Hello Lori,
I believe that you can use credit cards via PayPal. OMGWTFBBQ, Inc. is concerned about your privacy & personal information. Credit card will be fine.
What price would you like for the order? What about advertising, & the toga luau?
Cialoha (get it Ciao + Aloha…?),
-Waldo
Heh. At least I find myself amusing.
not interested
D’oh! I try to redeem myself, while trying to slightly up the ridiculousness. To what end, I have no idea.
Hello Lori,
May I ask why you’re all of a sudden not interested? You seemed quite eager to give me your credit card information. I’m not sure why. Shouldn’t we discuss details of the order before we discuss payment?
You’ll be sorry for passing up my Hawaiian toga party. It’s going to be all the rage next year. My on-wrap & defecation advertising promised DEEP discounts, and you still can’t see that we’re a perfect match?
I’m sorry for lashing out. Can I still come to the party?
“Welcome to Costco, I love you,”
-Waldo
Who loves Idiocracy? Everyone does (or should). Maybe “Lori” is a fan. Maybe she thinks I’m dumb enough to fall for this crazy scam.
Okay
OK? OK!
Dear Lori,
OK I can come to the party? Sweet! Where is it? I already know the time and date.
Want me to bring a giant Chicken Cæsar Salad, or some individual wraps? Would you like any sides?
Toga! Toga! Toga!
-Waldo
…and no further reply. Heh. Apparently the projected profit has now outweighed the effort.
I did, however, recently gain some insight on the objective. A member at The BBQ Brethren Forum, colonel00, posted a link to my Chicken Cæsar Wrap scam blog post, and apparently Mr. Simson & Ms. Baker get around… under a few different aliases. Poster chachahut provided some insight on the type of scam:
The grifter – in this case the emailer or in some cases a person calling via TTD – wants a large order of food. Rather than having the joint deliver – they will be sending a courier. As the courier requires cash payment, they will ask you to charge the credit card an additional amount – usually a few hundred to $1000 – and wire the money to the courier service. Why do you have to wire it? Well, the grifter is in the hospital & cannot take it or wire it to them & the courier does not accept credit cards (yeah right).
Of course – there is no courier service. It’s nothing more than a receiving address for any one foolish enough to send the wire. Additionally – the credit card used it certainly stolen & will ultimately get rejected or the charges will be reversed.
The whole thread can be seen here: Tried scamming me twice this week.
Interesting. Convoluted, but interesting. Google didn’t turn up much for “Courier Grift”, but I did find these interesting/enlightening sites after altering my search terms slightly:

Crazy. Hard to believe that anyone can be lulled into this one. I mean there really are a lot of steps, and it’s got to be hard to gain confidence via email. It must work if there’s still people out there trying it.
I wonder what the BBQ aficionado guys would think of my local BBQ joint reviews or chipped ham BBQ?

Kurt, you crack me the hell up. Nicely played and thanks for sharing!

Arlin

Here is one we got this week. A guy called and spoke to my wife and said he wanted 3 grills. My wife said we sell many and she started to name them off. He said I will take Primo. He then asked if he could have a courier pick them up and send them to South Africa? My wife told him we could send it to Alabama. He insisted it was picked up from our store. The phone was full of static and he had a heavy foreign accent. He said he was calling from Alabama and his name was Mack?

He then sent this email:

[FONT=&quot]Hi Leah,
Thank you for your service on the phone,well i will like to Purchase the BBQ Grills we talk
about,well you say the total price of (3) is $3298.50 and will like to know if the price include sales tax? again i will like to know the type of credit card you accept as form of payment so that i will send you my credit card details for the payment.Hope to hear much from you soon.Thanks
Rev Mack Willson

He called back later and I spoke with him. He kept telling me to send him a email with the total then he would give me his credit card info. I told him something was strange about his request and that I would have to call his bank to verify it he hung up.

Dont know what his plan was but he was up to something.

[/FONT]

Heh, just got hit up for an order for the "22th" of December. Ha ha.

A food order for the 22th of December, eh?

Posted on December 13, 2011 | 2 Comments

[COLOR=#]2 Votes[/COLOR]​

Well. Mr. Simson & Ms. Baker have some competition in the grifter circuit. Seems all these scam artists really like chicken Caesar products. I’d still like to know how they got my email & why it’s associated with ordering food. Mr. Smith would like to throw his hat into the ring:
Date: Fri, Dec 9, 2011
Subject: mr paul smith food order
To:
Hello how are you doing today my name is paul smith My Mom birthday is coming up on the 22th of december and i will like to place an order for 150 grilled chicken salad in individual pack for the 150 guest, it will be pick up by 3pm on the given date and i will like to inform you that am ready to make the full payment with my credit card today so can i know the total cost for the order plus tax…..get back to me with this following information below.
Restaurant address:
Personal cell number:
Total cost for my order plus tax:
Type of the credit card you accept
Regards
paul
Ah, the 22th of December is indeed a fine day.
Date: Mon, Dec 12, 2011
Subject: Re: mr paul smith food order
To: paul jason
Hello Paul,
What a wonderful son you are! It’s so nice of you to plan a party for your mom on the 22th. Which of our locations would you want to pickup from? Generally, I like to personally deliver to ensure the quality of the food upon delivery. In fact, I can give 1 free grilled chicken salad in individual pack if I can deliver & hang out at the party. I can ensure quick delivery too, my van made the Kessel run in under 5 parsecs.
Does the party have a theme? Have you thought about a Star Wars theme? I can make excellent TIE-fighter shaped chicken caesar wraps, that I display in front of a giant cheese-ball Death Star. It really is quite breathtaking. I have some friends in the 501st Legion that can come out too. They work for a charitable donation made in their name, we’ll just have to feed them.
The price would be $10 per person, so if you have 150 people, and 5 from the 501st Legion, we’re looking at $1550 total, and $1658.50 with tax.
Have you thought about drinks? If you’re going with the Star Wars theme, you might want to consider Imperial Stout Trooper or Dark Helmet Imperial Schwarzbier. I can recommend a good supplier if you don’t have one.
I really hope your mom is a Star Wars fan. Does she need a date to the party? These are the grilled chicken caesar TIE-fighter wraps you are looking for.
Regards,
-Waldo Lunar
Owner, Operator, Emperor
OMGWTFBBQ, Inc.
I thought it was time for a departure from the Hawaiian Toga Party theme. In hindsight, now I really do want a Death Star cheese ball. Can someone get on that?
No one took the time to make TIE-Fighter crackers?
Subject: Re: mr paul smith food order
To: Waldo Lunar <world.and.lunar.domination@gmail.com>
Thanks for your email,I am very happy to hear from you with the cost of the order plus tax of my order which is $1658.50 for my order and its okay by me and i want the chicken salad so I will prefer them packed in to-go boxes. Mean while i would like you to add an additional $1275 plus the total price of the order so that you can have all that charged on my credit card now. The funds will be wire to the private carrier who will be coming for the pick up of the food in your place in cash via western union money transfer. i would like you to add it all together plus extra $100 Western union charges for wiring the $1275 to the private carrier and let me have the grand total price inclusive of the tax fee and the 3% credit card company charge fee for the transaction all together,so that I can give you my credit card to charge for the total. I will also like to know what type of credit card you accept for payment. i just want to let you know that i am just back from the hospital i was down with a diagnosis of cancer of the lungs as such i had to spend some time in the intensive care. so i cannot go to western union money transfer for now and pay the driver that is why i want you to help me pay them and you will charge my credit card for the total estimation for the food and the Carrier charges,Hope to hear back from you soon with the grand total so i can forward my credit card information and the carrier’s information to wire the cash via western union transfer to them asap.
Final Break Down:
Foods Order :$1658.50
Carrier’s fee: $1275
Western union fee: $100
3% CC company fee: ?
Unfazed, he was all about putting together a price, but not sure to what end… he wanted to give me a total? Where do I get scammed here? Does the “oh I’m paying the courier and he’ll pay you” come next? I really don’t want to take any credit card information, in case the action in itself is illegal.
This one does not look appetizing at all.

I wrote back offering to be more helpful…
Subject: Fwd: mr paul smith food order
To: paulsmith5485@yahoo.com
Hello Again Mr. Smith,
May I call you Paul? I hope your mother is well, have you talked with her about the Star Wars theme? I hope that your lung cancer treatment has gone well, Paul! I’m sorry to hear that you were down with the sickness. Ooh ah ah ah. (Sorry, I have a form of Tourette’s that only comes out when I type. It prevents me from using the Backspace or Delete key too.) Perhaps you can wear a suit like Darth Vader to improve your breathing? His lungs weren’t cancerous, but burned quite badly. I believe all of life’s problems can be solved using Star Wars as a guide.
Why don’t you let me make this easy for you, and I’ll deliver to your location, free of charge! That way, you don’t need to pay a courier, and I can take your card info. upon delivery, it will save you $1300… or give you a higher beer budget! A true Jedi would carry out the mission himself. I’ll even knock a dollar of of each head & provide the Death Star cheese ball free of charge. Do you know if anyone attending has food allergies? The cheese ball comes two ways – boy (with nuts) or girl (no nuts).
Does your mom like to drink? I’m a fan of blue milk & several alcoholic beverages. Sometimes at night when I’m all snuggled up in my Tauntaun sleeping bag, my R2-D2 trash can is my only friend. Sometimes I sleep with leftover chicken caesar salad in the bag, because Tauntauns apparently smell bad on the inside. I imagine rotting chicken, mayo, & raw eggs would simulate that smell pretty well. I’m drinking blue milk now, mixed with some bourbon. Actually, the blue milk is eggnog with food coloring. Aldi doesn’t carry blue milk, and they look at me like I’m crazy every time I request it, so I have to make my own.
Can I come to your party? I really need this. In fact, I’ve never made a chicken caesar salad in my life. But, I found a few good recipes on COOKS.com and I’m willing to try. OMGWTFBBQ is mainly barbecue as the name suggests. I cook my chicken breasts in a modified Darth Vader toaster so they come out looking awesome. Our ribs are delicious, they’re Mustafarian style, blackened with smoky seasoning.
Can I ask where you found my email address? This all has me very excited. I think I’m really drunk, so I should end this email before I become incoherent. I really need your business. Can you send some photos of your mom? Does she need a date to the party?
May the force be with you, from OMGWTFBBQ to you, happy birthday mom!
-Waldo Lunar
Owner, Operator, Emperor
OMGWTFBBQ, Inc.
No more correspondence. Apparently Mr. Smith has no patience, or just is the same person as “John” & “Lori” from the last 2 times and was exasperated at the onset.
I Googled "Death Star Cheese Ball" & this came up. |-o-|

Why do these people prey upon us here in the United States? From the email, I hope English is their second (or 3th) language. Are we seen as easy targets? Are we more Gullible? There’s more of us? Is there general hatred towards our country? Do any of these emails ever work?
So, who’s going to start a catering business with me called OMGWTFBBQ?
OMG.WTF?BBQ!

More scams abound: Tried scamming me twice this week. (page 2)
Seriously, about the cheese ball… Someone tell my wife. My birthday’s coming up. Let’s go Death Star cheese ball instead of a cake. I want some TIE-fighter shaped crackers too. I don’t think she reads thins unless I call her attention to it directly. Something about “I listen to your insanity all the time in person, you expect me to read it too?” is her (valid) argument on her blog reading stance.
Related articles

It's funny. Not being in the food industry I had never heard of this scam until this thread. Sure enough, since this thread started I have now talked to two different people that had it happen to them. Last night I overheard a guy at a pizza place describing the same thing but with a pizza twist. The only oddity to this story is supposedly the courier was actually supposed to show up to pick up the pizzas and the pizza shop would pay him cash. It never went down obviously but the people at the shop were fooled.

Back