My first pork tenderloin

smokey and the brisket

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have never smoked this cut of meat before and was wanting some input on what to do and what not to do. Any suggestions from the brethren would be greatly appreciated.

I generally just season with your favorite rub and smoke at 250-275. Pull it off when IT gets to 140, let it rest for about 10 minutes. Some will suggest putting it in a brine, that is a personal preference. I would check temp at 1 hour and see where it is at. Once it gets close to 140 it does not take much to push it past that.

Stay light on the smoke. I find loins really absorb smoke.

And don't cook it too long, a dried out loin is really bad.

Take the remainders and make it into gumbo/chili. Works real nice.

I don't smoke pork tenderloins. The meat is lean and I find it dries out with a slow cook. I grill them until 135-140 internal and then rest.

i grill over apple wood. gets plenty of smoke in 10-15 minutes. pull at 140 and let rest for 10.

I like to smoke loins and grill tenderloins. I generally leave a loin whole, but might grill a tenderloin whole, butterflied, or as thick medalions (generally about 5 pieces). The upper 130's to low 140's recommendation with wrap/cover and rest works for me on both as it still has some pink color and not dry.

i brine for 24 hours in a jerk brine of my own, smoke to 140, takes a couple of hours max

I'm in the grilling camp as well. I like to brine mine overnight then grill until 135-140. That being said, if I'm smoking other meat and have a tenderloin to cook, I'll put a bacon wrap/weave on it and smoke until it gets up to temp.

I smoked one last weekend at about 215° for a little over an hour to an IT of 150° and it was outstanding. Because I had a bunch of other BBQ on I wanted a bit of a different flavor. I rubbed it with a mixture of my pork but rub and a lot of extra rosemary, sage, thyme, salt and pep. It had a nice smoke ring and was pretty moist. Next time though I'll try pulling at 140° and see how that goes.

Sorry Smokey, I misread your title last night. I don't smoke tenderloins either. The above is for pork loin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do them indirect on the weber OTS @ 300ish till internal temp reaches 138-140, pull, tent for 20-30 minutes for a perfect 145 finish temp. Anything higher, and you risk a dry result.

I season mine with my favorite rub, then I wrap them in bacon to give them some fat and it helps keep them from getting to dry. Plus the bacon makes great leftover snacks. I go until 140 IT them pull and rest for a while. I try to use fruit wood for pork because some other woods seem to over smoke them.

Back