Quick question on finishing glazes

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me if it is too esoteric to share publicly but I am curious how you guys are mixing your comp glazes up. I am blending sauce and glaze but have seen some extremely glossy turn ins on the bbqcritic site, like this one...how on earth is THAT accomplished.

6266540.jpg

Funny you say that, I was adding that in my test runs this last weekend. I just didn't like the ultra sweet it left me with, but then again, I taste for me but cook for judges....oh the challenge of it all.

Cider vinegar and hot sauce cut the sweetness a bit. You don't get that ultra sugar taste. But who am I to talk. Still trying things out my self.

Corn syrup, molasses, honey, and oh yeah...a little sauce too! :twisted:

Yep. That pic definitely has the look of a Blues Hog sauce.

anyone working with gelatin or pectin to get this look? sometimes i try to get it with melted down apple jelly with some salt, pepper, adobo, and hot sauce in it to cut the sweetness.

Yep, to me this one looks straight up Blues Hog Original.

anyone working with gelatin or pectin to get this look? sometimes i try to get it with melted down apple jelly with some salt, pepper, adobo, and hot sauce in it to cut the sweetness.

Haven't tried those yet, but I have considered trying a corn starch mixture to add some shine.

pouring gets this look better than brushing. i use a big foil lined pan with a grate that fits in it. you have to use alot of sauce and thin it too a pourable consistancey, then pour it over the chicken, that has been arrainged on the grate, from a flat edged vessel like a cake tin to get a waterfall effect. you then can get the sauce out of the pan and reuse it for another coat. i got this idea while watching donuts being iced on a television show. i don't know if anyone else uses it.

To me it looks like Blues Hog and then something clear was used to get that extra shine. Wish I knew what because that looks damn good.

pouring gets this look better than brushing. i use a big foil lined pan with a grate that fits in it. you have to use alot of sauce and thin it too a pourable consistancey, then pour it over the chicken, that has been arrainged on the grate, from a flat edged vessel like a cake tin to get a waterfall effect. you then can get the sauce out of the pan and reuse it for another coat. i got this idea while watching donuts being iced on a television show. i don't know if anyone else uses it.

I love it that is one hell of an idea! Thanks for sharing!

i dunk.

photo (27).JPG

but you can see where my fingers were. pouring might be a better option.

I add honey or apricott jam thinned out with sauce and dunk or pour over as suggested in a earlier reply. You can also pritz with apple juice or water if it comes out looking lumpy or you end up having to brush some touchup on after its in the box. The spritz with smooth it out. Remember to leave your chicken low enough so all your work doesn't end up on the lid.

i dunk.

but you can see where my fingers were. pouring might be a better option.

I dunk too, but use a pair of tongs to grip the thigh between the tongs. That sauce can get kinda hot. I couldnt find a picture of them, but the tongs are those old style ones that have about a 1" open ended loop for the tong ends.

glaze like that looks great but that first and all important bite for the judges may not taste as good as if it's cooked on a bit more. it's like when you get that bite the sauce kinda gets separated from the meat and is gone - I'm a kinda wierd picky eater though.

Back