View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Competition Bound

Depends on whether you're doing spares (St. Louis cut) or loinbacks (babyback). My spareribs are usually cooked about 2 hours (or until the meat pulls back from the end of the bone about 1/4 inch and then foiled with a spray of apple juice (you can add a brushing of sauce at this time or another dose of rub) - The ribs then cook for another 1.5 - 2 hours - you really have to watch them or they'll over cook and fall off the bones.

Baby backs are even less time - maybe 2 hour to the foil but then only 1 hour of so before pulling them and putting them in a cooler. The cooler time is great for tenderness but also will "over cook" the ribs.

I hate to sound so vague but you've got to experiment a bit to find what works best for you. We usually have a 12 noon turn in for ribs (FBA) and so we usually have the ribs in the cooker at 7:00 a.m. So, we shoot for 5 hours total time - we've never "walked" on ribs and have rarely had a toughness problem!! Usually we overcook. But, as I said, that's what practice and experimentation is for.

Temp wise: We've tended to cook "hotter" at 250 or so but I'm thinking of cranking it back a bit closer to 225 in the future - see if we can get the nice long cook time and resulting tenderness without the "fall off the bone" problem!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote