One of those cabin fever weekends...

Thanks! It was a nice weekend. :)

Oakpit.. It took about 8 hours. I dug the hole the day before to get it ready.

Thank you Marty! We could bury a pig... but I'd make everyone help with the cooking! :-D

Hey HWSW.. I Don't TBSAP.. lol most of the time anyway. :laugh:
I know.. it wasn't that bad outside, the ground isn't even frozen. :)
Thanks Ken!

El Lobo, I love those plateless meals. :)

Thanks Phu.. I had my "Mine" close by but used the Texas koozie this time. Some of my Texas buddies were there. :)

Great way to do something in the ground!
I reviewed your photos again, no coals on top, just a metal reflector.
I have helped do whole hogs in the ground as well. We wrapped them in like half a mile of tin foil, covered with a layer of earth then more coals.

P.S. What does a Guinea hen taste like?

Mike, no coals on top... just cover the hole and use it like an oven.
the guineas taste a bit like pheasant..not much meat on them and they can be stringy if you let them wander around the farm like I do.
They're good eating though. :)

Post hole diggers and fence pliers, only you would have them in your kitchen drawer:wink:, Fine looking eats there:thumb:
lol Blue! It's more fun using them for cooking than fencing. Thanks! :)

Looks great! Might have to try that this summer! Where did you find the bananna leaves?
Captain PJ, they were at my grocery store. I just had to give them a try. :)

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1571585 said:
Cool, how many hours is several? How much did the Pork weigh?

I know this underground method works but I do not understand how. Once you cover the pit, how can the fire breath and not go out cold long before the meat cooks to temp.

Terry the meat cooked for about 8 hours. I didn't weigh it, it was a hunk of homegrown.
When you get a good bed of hot coals (6 to 8 inches deep)...place a rack on top and the meat, then cover the hole. Bury with dirt and make sure no air can get into the hole.
Air will cause flair ups... the heat from the hot coals will last for hours...
When I do whole hogs, I cook them overnight.
You DO need to use a good hardwood. My favorite is hedge.

Thanks again everyone.. :cool:

LOL. Being from the Texas Panhandle, I have a soft spot in my heart for a girl who owns her own fencing pliers.

Love the post hole pit idea too. Great looking grub.

lol Jim... you know how valuable those pliers are to me then.. Thanks! :wink:

That looks awesome! If you tried to dig a hole like that in my part of the country you would end up eating the fencing pliers! I would have to sit the meat on top of the ground and pile rocks on it! :roll:

Looks great! Very creative!

I wish I could do that without the hole filling up with water this time of year. Great looking meal to do this summer.

Dan Thanks! :thumb:

JazzCat, wish you lived closer... I'd make you help with this outdoor cooking stuff. :becky: Thanks!

That looks awesome! If you tried to dig a hole like that in my part of the country you would end up eating the fencing pliers! I would have to sit the meat on top of the ground and pile rocks on it! :roll:

Looks great! Very creative!
That sounds like it might work!! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks! :-D

I wish I could do that without the hole filling up with water this time of year. Great looking meal to do this summer.
Hey Hell Fire! Good to see ya. :) I was happy the ground wasn't too hard... please send some of that water my way.
Thanks! :)

Looks like ya done earned your PHD on that cook, Jeanie! (Post Hole Digger) that is! LOL. how in tarnation you find 'nanner leaves in Oklahoma is beyond me! You are one resourceful cook! looks great!

Jeanie your killing me, my bucket list is 5 pages long cause of you! That looks fantastic! I even have nanner leaves in my backyard! Oh no!

Looks like ya done earned your PHD on that cook, Jeanie! (Post Hole Digger) that is! LOL. how in tarnation you find 'nanner leaves in Oklahoma is beyond me! You are one resourceful cook! looks great!

Haha Mike! I had to drive all the way to Kansas for these. Thanks :wink:

Jeanie your killing me, my bucket list is 5 pages long cause of you! That looks fantastic! I even have nanner leaves in my backyard! Oh no!
lol Aqua, Thanks!! You need to try this!! :becky:

Thank you Drifter and Jestridge. :)
The hens have started laying tons of eggs since the days are getting warmer. I've got eggs running outta my ears right now. :p

Looks Great except for the Longhorns Koozie!
Boomer Sooner!!

lol Thanks Hillbilly! That koozie was a gift from one of my Texas friends.... it's sole purpose is to irritate my Okie friends. It works! :-D

This is my koozie...

003-2.jpg

Back