Turkey's are on the Bandera!

thomasjurisd

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok Thanksgiving Turkey Fans, first, Happy Thanksgiving Brethren! Last night I injected with Louisiana Cajun Butter, pulled the skin back and seasoned with Yardbird. This morning I rubbed down with olive oil, shook some Yardbird on the skin and iced the breasts while I prepared the fire. Birds went on at 7:40am and here's what they look like at 8:19.
BBQTurkey.jpg

Looking good so far! What temp are they cooking at? The thermo looks like it is just under 300, but the door is open.

Looking good so far! What temp are they cooking at? The thermo looks like it is just under 300, but the door is open.

The oven temp hanging form the shelf in between both is reading right at or just under 350.

In case anyone is wondering, I realize I forgot to mention the fatty perched on the top shelf as well. It is JD's maple, rolled out and stuffed with a layer of Cranberry and a helping of my family recipe of dressing rolled in a bacon weave.

Those birds are looking mighty fine! And that's a huge fatty. I love to see the Bandera in action.

Oh my! What a good looking bunch of turkeys! Makes my mouth water. What time is dinner?

ok i'm just going to ask because I cant find it in search, why do you ice the breasts? makes them more moist? or does it help with something else

ok i'm just going to ask because I cant find it in search, why do you ice the breasts? makes them more moist? or does it help with something else
Idea is if breast is colder at start of cook then dark meat will come up to temp and both will done approx. same time.

Back