Spatchcocked Turkey Practice (lots 'o pron)

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So, with Thanksgiving coming up and family joining us from Cali, my wife and I thought it'd be a good idea to do a little practice bird before the big day.

So, here it is in all it's glory:
Started with a small(ish) 12 lb. bird
tenlbTurkonboard.jpg

Got rid of that ridicuoous little "popup thermometer" that's supposed to tell you the bird is done but never does:
NopopupTurk.jpg

Made my first incisions immediately distal to the spinal column:
IncisedTurk.jpg

...and then removed said spinal column:
SpinelessTurk.jpg

Took a second to warn off appreciative and hopeful bystanders:
Roscoe003.jpg

Dusted the exterior and rubbed the interior with my standard spice blend:
RawTurkonBoard.jpg

Got the drum up to 325 and let 'er cook for 3 hours. Deep thigh meat @175:
CookedTurkindrum.jpg

Sorry... no pics of it after this. You'll just have to trust me, it was juicy, tender and taaaaystee. :becky:

Probably somebody has Spatchcocked a turkey here bePhore but this is the Phirst time that I see it!
Nice pics!:cool:

That looks good. This spatchcock theory had crossed my mind last week. Now that it's been proven to work, may have to try it. Thanks.

Nice job! Now you're ready for T-Day!

That is the only way to cook a turk. BTW you have a nice looking bird there

The last 4 Turkeys that I have done, I have halved it like I do chickens.

Works great and cooks evenly from turning and basting every hour.

Nice job and good photos.

John

Thanks for posting this. Someone mentioned to me the other day (different thread) about spatchcocking a turkey. Didn't know what it was about. Thanks again Brethren!
This looks like a great bird - and yeah, I imagine it was tasty! Great job!

Nice. We we're talking about turkey on the bus home tonight. I love turkey. Going to have to smoke one. What did you think about the rub versus traditional roasted turkey?

Looks good:-D Thanks for the info, was planning on trying myself, hopefully it turns out as good as yours :clap2:

Looks great! I usually split mine. Makes it easier to get on the 18.5" WSM.

Thanks for the post. Was actually wondering about spatchcocking a turkey yesterday. Usually do it or chicken on the egg but was wondering if turkey would be good too since its a bit bigger. Nothing like cold smoked turkey leftovers for making club sandwiches....

Wow...now I can't decide wether to roto or spat ?? Maybe one of each.

Paul B
SS UDS

Thanks for the pics, you made up my mind on what to do this weekend, also for practice. Dale.

Back