View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #61
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Heat diffuser & Pron

OK, so I started thinking about making a heat diffuser for my latest build. I thought it would help even out the temps between the top and bottom cooking racks.

I found a 1/8" piece of plate steel in my uncle's garage, cut out my design, added a handle for easy placing, and brought it home. This is what I ended up with:

This pic was taken after my latest cook. Did the heat diffuser work? Better than I had hoped. Not only are the 2 racks closer to even in temps, but the bottom thermometer (which is actually closer to the coals) is actually 10* - 15* COOLER than the upper rack. Considering the bottom rack WAS registering about 80* - 90* hotter, I'd say that is a huge improvement. I now have 2 totally usable cooking racks. Can't wait for a chance to load them both up!

As for my latest cook...

BEFORE:

AND AFTER:

Everything came out great. The meat was all very juicy and delicious. You can kinda see the smoke ring on the pork loin (more visable around the bottom).

I used 2 completely new rubs and smoked with Apple wood. It was even done alot sooner than I thought it would be.