Whats wrong with galvanized washers?I am under the impression any notion of toxic fumes being release is unfounded.

Thought I would share

I got this done a couple months ago and have just been playing with it. I did the intakes as small holes covered with magnets. I am starting my second now and making this my "camping drum"! It uses the lid off of the cheapo knock off weber grill from Wal Mart so it is hinged and stays in place when open, great for mopping. Also, I had a little hand truck so I painted it to match and bolted it to the side and bottom. Makes moving it easy. I have more but I will post later. Sorry for the bad pics, they are cell phone.

Attachments

• Big daddy drum.jpg
    Big daddy drum.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 871
  • First Try.jpg
    First Try.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 867
  • First Ribs.jpg
    First Ribs.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 864
  • Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 867
  • Burned butt.jpg
    Burned butt.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 867
i've been wondering about the exhausts being on the sides. doesn't this throw off the heat distribution ? ie making one side hotter than the other.

I installed a short probe thermometer and did some testing with the stacks in the back for a few hours and then rotated the lid so the stacks were over the thermometer, no real change.

I stopped by Big Lots and picked up one of those cheap 22.5" grills made by BBQ Grates (http://www.biglots.com/Outdoorlife/item.aspx?cid=60&scid=217&iid=7351) to see if the lid would work for my UDS build. It seems to work best if I use the bottom of the grill and the ring that held the drum lid in place.

Here is a pic of the grill bottom (which is taller than the lid) with the ring. It fits nice and snug inside the ring while sitting on the drum top "lip."

Bottom-with-Ring.jpg

Here is the bottom without the ring -

Bottom-no-ring.jpg

Bottom-no-ring-3.jpg

Here is how the grill lid fits -

Top-1.jpg

Top2.jpg

I stopped by Big Lots and picked up one of those cheap 22.5" grills made by BBQ Grates (http://www.biglots.com/Outdoorlife/item.aspx?cid=60&scid=217&iid=7351) to see if the lid would work for my UDS build. It seems to work best if I use the bottom of the grill and the ring that held the drum lid in place.

I had to bite! :icon_bugeyed What is that material around your drum?

I measured that BBQ Grates lid and it's close enough to a Weber in diameter it fits my WeberUDS without modification.

That deep bottom half sure does beg to become a tall lid doesn't it? I loved your use of the clamp ring, I'll be in the garage trying that combo for a fit tomorrow.

Finallly got around to making my drum. I've been reading this thread since it only had about 150 pages and have read all of them since. I've also read every other site I could find, so I didn't really have any questions when I fianlly jumped in. I just wanted a simple, decent looking drum that was easy to operate. Anyway, he's the final product.

f60ffef2.jpg

Loaded up with 20 lbs of butt.
a280b7b6.jpg

Flipped half way through.
0de74b14.jpg

Pulled and ready to eat!!!
fb1414d8.jpg

If you are looking to build one and have trouble locating expanded metal, Go to the closet organizer section in Home Depot and pick up one of these (11 bucks) it measures 16"x16" and is 10" deep. Just have to burn off the paint.
e5b5722c.jpg

I realized I had galvanized washers and replaced them prior to use.
Nice job on the build. I like the charcoal basket idea.

I had to bite! :icon_bugeyed What is that material around your drum?

I measured that BBQ Grates lid and it's close enough to a Weber in diameter it fits my WeberUDS without modification.

That deep bottom half sure does beg to become a tall lid doesn't it? I loved your use of the clamp ring, I'll be in the garage trying that combo for a fit tomorrow.

I tightened the ring around the drum and the lid fits snugly inside so it might work out pretty good.

My drum was shipped to me new. The brown stuff is brown paper wrapping that I haven't removed yet.

It prob does not have one. If you want to be sure dump any remaining oil in a container with rags to soak the oil up. Then wash it out good with tide and hot water mixture. Then if you spray a little water on the inside in one spot it will start to rust in a day or two, no liner. Then just do the seasoning burn or if you feel better do a burn with three pallets then do your seasoning burn. Mineral oil has a flash point of 375* Don't forget to drill your intake holes before you do your burn.

I still can't tell for sure if it has a liner. Inside of my drum looks exactly like the 3rd picture that Pole d posted on page 328. I know to be sure I could burn it, but, it would save a heck of a lot of work if I don't need to. I don't know how to post a pic yet but if you guys would look on the page I mentioned I would appreciate your thoughts.

David

PS. I read all 5,148 post!!!

I still can't tell for sure if it has a liner. Inside of my drum looks exactly like the 3rd picture that Pole d posted on page 328. I know to be sure I could burn it, but, it would save a heck of a lot of work if I don't need to. I don't know how to post a pic yet but if you guys would look on the page I mentioned I would appreciate your thoughts.

David

PS. I read all 5,148 post!!!
The picture your talking about does not have a liner. Did you wash it out ? If you didn't dry it good is there any rust starting ? Rust means no liner. If it showed rust I would just do a good season burn. Spray the inside with a good coat of pam, fill your coal basket and get the temps up to 400 and hold it there for a couple hours.

2nd UDS

I finally got around to building my 2nd UDS and am doing a seasoning run tonight. Sorry for the lack of pics on the build (too much beer mod:roll:) I went with the k.i.s.s. build, the only mods made were the big belly mod, and a set of wheels. My question is its been going roughly 1 1/2 hours, and only reads 210* in the side gauge. I have one nipple, and my ball valve wide open, and am using the large bung for exhaust. Shouldnt my temps be higher? I was hoping for better control with this one, as my other one has only one 2 1/4" intake, and one 2 3/4" exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Any thoughts on the CharBroil Sure2Burn firestarter packets?Just scored a few, and I'l like to know how effective they are before I decide to use them with a cook.

I finally got around to building my 2nd UDS and am doing a seasoning run tonight. Sorry for the lack of pics on the build (too much beer mod:roll:) I went with the k.i.s.s. build, the only mods made were the big belly mod, and a set of wheels. My question is its been going roughly 1 1/2 hours, and only reads 210* in the side gauge. I have one nipple, and my ball valve wide open, and am using the large bung for exhaust. Shouldnt my temps be higher? I was hoping for better control with this one, as my other one has only one 2 1/4" intake, and one 2 3/4" exhaust. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You had it right the first time LOL!! I like the large hole intake as it is easy to empty the ashes, you can reach in and give the basket a shake and you can quickly ramp up the temps for pizza.

You had it right the first time LOL!! I like the large hole intake as it is easy to empty the ashes, you can reach in and give the basket a shake and you can quickly ramp up the temps for pizza.

Except mine goes up the side (another big belly mod). I dont think i have quite enough exhaust on that one to get the proper draft. As for last night i shut it down around 11 and had temps as high as 250*. Ill give it another go maybe Friday or Saturday, and see what happens. Maybe with a fatty:-D

Would oak fire wood be good enough to burn my barrel out with. I am having trouble locating pallets for the task.

Finallly got around to making my drum. I've been reading this thread since it only had about 150 pages and have read all of them since. I've also read every other site I could find, so I didn't really have any questions when I fianlly jumped in. I just wanted a simple, decent looking drum that was easy to operate. Anyway, he's the final product.

f60ffef2.jpg

I realy like the look of your smoke stacks, what are they made from, or where did you get them.

Porcine Pirate

" Pigs are our Tasty Friends "

Back