Grinding Peppers?

ggriffi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
While at the store the other day getting some jalapeno's I bought a couple of packages of those dried peppers (anchos & arbols), with the intent of grinding them up to use in rubs/sauces. While cleaning the seeds out I noticed that they weren't entirely "dry". Kinda slick or oily inside, not a lot, but noticeable. Suffice to say that they didn't grind up very well. So I put them in a plastic bowl and let them air dry for a couple of days. Tried again tonight and it seemed to go better, but it's still not a fine powder yet. So should I have torn them into pieces and let air dry for a couple days so both the inside and outside could dry completely, then grind? Or, should I be using different types of peppers?

g

Try toasting, that is what Alton Brown recommends.

You can microwave then for a minute or two.

They are supposed to be a bit soft. If they are completely dry when you purchase them, they are old stock and the flavor is greatly diminished. Should have the flexibility of leather.

Remove the seeds and stems then toast in a 300* oven, checking every 5 minutes. Remove from oven when dried. The larger and thicker pieces will take longer than the small ones. I enjoy roasting peppers. It gives the kitchen a nice fragrance.

I do the same. Last time, I cut the stem end off the peppers, shook out the seeds, and toasted in a pan. The heat wakes up the flavor. Here is a pic:

Attachments

• Chili Powder 1.jpg
    Chili Powder 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 150
I only get my oven to 250 and leave the door open. It only takes a few minutes and It doesn't take long to over toast a dry pepper.

Thanks guys for the help. Those bad boys will all be ground up before the day is out.

g

I remeber when I was younger my dad planted a whole row of hot red peppers and hung them to dry in the basement. Grinding day arrived and he used the old clamp to the table hand grinder. By time he was done the dust had gotten into his moist membranes (nose, eyes) and he was one hurtin unit for several days.
I think if I looked real hard I'd find the rest of that first grind down on the fruit jar shelf...
ModelMaker

nmayeux said:
I do the same. Last time, I cut the stem end off the peppers, shook out the seeds, and toasted in a pan. The heat wakes up the flavor. Here is a pic:

Man, that's alot o' peppers, Noah! Bet there was some heat in the air from that....no?

Matt,
I made chili powder with it, and the difference is very dramatic. It has about the same heat as store bought chili powder, but the increase in flavor is night and day. I did as Alton recommended and ground the toasted chilis in the blender, but was very careful to wait a couple of minutes before opening the lid. Didn't want to mace myself! :)

Mark's pepper pulverizing method

Wait for a hot summer day, stuff a leather bag full of peppers, tie it shut and duct-tape it to the tread of your car tire and just drive around for an hour or so.

I prefer leather bags made from a bull's scrotum.

When I was a kid we used to make **** like that outta bull parts. Amazing what you can make from a nut snack.

Hey Rainford, you don't have to curse to get your point across, ya know?

Mark said:
Wait for a hot summer day, stuff a leather bag full of peppers, tie it shut and duct-tape it to the tread of your car tire and just drive around for an hour or so.

I prefer leather bags made from a bull's scrotum.

Guess, it's officially hijacked now. :eek: Bull Scrotums, though :confused:

g

rainford said:
When I was a kid we used to make **** like that outta bull parts. Amazing what you can make from a nut snack.

Not really sure I want to hear about your **************** "nut snack".
spin3.gif

nmayeux said:

I was toasting some a few months back and everyone in the house started coughing, even the kids upstairs. It was actually quite humorous when I look back at it.

The only reason I toast them is to get a slightly different flavor. The ones that made us cough were birdseye peppers. So beware.

tony76248 said:
I was toasting some a few months back and everyone in the house started coughing, even the kids upstairs. It was actually quite humorous when I look back at it.

The only reason I toast them is to get a slightly different flavor. The ones that made us cough were birdseye peppers. So beware.

Birdseye are quite unique. I like them, but use very sparingly.

Back