Little help for a new guy (sorry, it's kinda long)

So...I don't have a probe thermometer, and have just been rolling with the stock thermometer right around the D in IDEAL. It's been on about 5.5 hours and is super tender when I probe and my instant read is showing 195 internal temp already. Did I kill it? What should I do at this point? Move it to the oven? Stop cooking and rest it? Just keep going?

Update - moved it to the oven, wrapped. Holding it there now. Any thoughts how long to keep it in the oven. Also, since it's going to be done earlier than planned, what's the best way to either keep it warm or reheat for dinner time? Keep it whole til then, or pull it and then reheat? Thanks in advance for any help!

Wrap it in old towels and put it in a cooler. It will stay hot till it's time to pull.

Yup, you can bunch up a bunch of newspaper in the cooler, then wrap the butt in foil, then in a few towels. You want to fill up the volume as best you can. It will stay hot for 4-6 hours without worry.

Your bark is pretty dark, that may be from using a lot of sugar in the rub. Depending on how that tastes, you may want to adjust in the future. A great way to cook a butt is just seasoned with salt and pepper.

Great first go at it! :thumb:

Looks good this far! Like others said a little on dark side which is okay, but if you taste a bitter/burnt taste it could be the sugars which can burn. If so, try using turbinado sugar next time as it has a higher burn point.

Congrats on your first cook!

Yup, you can bunch up a bunch of newspaper in the cooler, then wrap the butt in foil, then in a few towels. You want to fill up the volume as best you can. It will stay hot for 4-6 hours without worry.

Your bark is pretty dark, that may be from using a lot of sugar in the rub. Depending on how that tastes, you may want to adjust in the future. A great way to cook a butt is just seasoned with salt and pepper.

Great first go at it! :thumb:

Thanks!

Will get it wrapped up and into a cooler. Will take some photos once I pull it. You've all been very helpful - thanks so much!

So...I don't have a probe thermometer, and have just been rolling with the stock thermometer right around the D in IDEAL. It's been on about 5.5 hours and is super tender when I probe and my instant read is showing 195 internal temp already. Did I kill it? What should I do at this point? Move it to the oven? Stop cooking and rest it? Just keep going?

For Pulled Pork it is usually 200* plus so you didn't kill it at 195* - the 5.5 hrs cook seems short- mine usually take 8 hrs running 300* but mine are usually 9.5-10 lbs - order a a Thermo from Amazon for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013FBUM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1388869470&sr=8-1

Does look Dark but all of mine do - if bark is Charred run a difusser between coals and cooking rack and wrap in Butcher paper after 3-4 hrs next run.

Well, it turned out pretty awesome despite the bumps along the way. The final cook time was almost 6 hours on the smoker, then wrapped in foil a healthy splash of worchestershire and cider vinegar. After wrapping, it spent about 1.5 hours in the oven at 275 while I tried to figure out what to do next since it was done so early (and got some great tips from you guys!). Finally, still wrapped in the foil, I wrapped the butt in two t-shirts and rested it in a styrofoam meat shipping cooler surrounded by crumpled up newspaper. I preheated the cooler with a measuring cup of steaming water for a few minutes (it was cold from being in the garage), and then weighed the top of the cooler down with an iron skillet to keep it from popping off.

photo-14.jpg

The bark was pretty dark, but actually tasted great. Perhaps the coffee in the rub contributed to the darker color.

photo-13.jpg

The meat was tender and juicy, loaded with smokey flavor, a little kick from the rub and a little tang from the vinegar.

photo-23.jpg

photo-33.jpg

I served it with some kaiser rolls and my two favorite local bbq sauces. However, it tasted great without any sauce, too. The vinegar sauce is from a local BBQ place, and it's the best vinegar sauce I've ever had. The other is a unique, sweeter sauce with a bit of allspice from a place I used to eat a lot as a little kid - lots of nostalgia, and a pretty interesting flavor. (There's no photos of the sandwiches...I...uh...well, I was hungry...)

photo-51.jpg

Overall, it was a little stressful with the meat hitting 195+ so quickly, but the end result was pretty much as good as I could have hoped for on my first try. Everyone loved it, including my 2 year old son. I'm sure I'll get better, and once I get my hands on a decent thermometer and work out a damper for the airflow, I'll be doing great. I suppose it was a blessing that the meat cooked a little faster, though, since the snow started right back up almost as soon as I wrapped up...

photo-24.jpg

Thanks for all the help - I will definitely plan to be a regular around here. I've already got requests for more pulled pork, as well as some spare ribs and my dad is hoping I'll smoke some salmon for his birthday. Have a great weekend, everyone!

IlliniQ, you rock! That pork looks wonderful, good smoke ring and it's juicy, you can tell from the photos. So glad you had a good experience. I didn't chime in on the wrapping because I do it different than most. (I pull whole pork legs and whole shoulders around 200 - 205'F, then rest them covered in a roasting pan in a cold oven until cooled enough to pull.) I don't do the aluminum foil, added liquids, towel wraps and coolers so I stayed out of that part of the thread to avoid confusion. It's good you want to stick around, soon enough you'll be the one giving advice. :becky:

Wow. Great job on that first cook. I think I want to try the coffee rub idea. Thanks. PP is a great choice for a first cook. It's very forgiving as far as temp control goes. By all means consider a Maverick 732 remote thermometer. You will spend less times outdoors freezing your buns off. It's about 55 F here in Vegas!

Thanks for all the kind words - I had a little cold pork when I got up this morning, and it was delicious right out of the fridge, too. (And another sandwich for lunch...stacked with some pickles and slaw...)

Definitely looking into a maverick - any thoughts on the 732 vs the 733? Is the 733 just an update? Or does it have any improvements over the 732? Prices are pretty comparable in amazon depending on the vendor, so I could go either way...

One last post on my first thread... I did a full write-up of my first cook on my blog, and I included a link back to this amazing forum. If anyone wants any more pictures of pork or a smoker puffing away in the smoke, here it is:

Eats For All Ages

Can't wait for cook number two...

Back