Type of chicken for turn in...

indianagriller

is one Smokin' Farker
I have been practicing for my first competition and just had a question about what type of chicken piece to use. Am i able to use any part of the chicken i want? ie: thighs, legs, wings, or is there a standard i need to use?

I'm pretty sure most teams use thighs to cook, I have heard of teams using other parts and win, but I'm going to stick with thighs, seen too many teams win using them.

you might want to do a search on chicken in this sub-forum. there is alot of discussion, I personally hate chicken.

Mike is correct. As a matter of fact I had 20 thighs on the cooker last night practicing something different.

I'm injecting them with twenty dollar bills cause nothing else was worked for us! :roll:

I posed the same question to a similar forum before my first KCBS along with a poll of who used what. Thighs and quarters with the thigh and leg attached received about the sae amount of votes as frontrunners. However, I have yet to see anyone use the quarters, I have seen only thighs in competition.

After socring our teams first "Dead ass Last" in chicken a couple of weeks ago I found that actually cooking it to over 150 degrees helped, damn lying thermopen! We also found that comment cards were all over the board, one said Bloody and Raw and the other said Raw and Bloody, lets get consistant judges lol.

After socring our teams first "Dead ass Last" in chicken a couple of weeks ago I found that actually cooking it to over 150 degrees helped, damn lying thermopen! We also found that comment cards were all over the board, one said Bloody and Raw and the other said Raw and Bloody, lets get consistant judges lol.

Always a tough crowd in the Judges tent. Doesn't set a very happy mood for the rest of the judging, if you get non appetizing chicken first:icon_blush:
Congrats on your DAL, and hopefully you will never place there again.

Now back to the thread. Most teams use thighs as stated previously, but if you can cook a killer leg or breast, go for it. Wings are acceptable also. A little change is good some time. Do what you are comfortable with. But one piece of advice I can give you is, whatever you cook give the judge one area to get one good bite. Had a thigh that was not deboned, part of backbone still in place, and had a difficult time getting a good bite.

I turned in cornish game hens (four breasts and four leg quarters) at my last comp about a month ago. They went over very well (7th of 28), given that I winged it without practicing.

Give it a shot.

John

Mike is correct. As a matter of fact I had 20 thighs on the cooker last night practicing something different.

I'm injecting them with twenty dollar bills cause nothing else was worked for us! :roll:

LMAO !

Good one Uncle Bud. :lol:

We use thighs. Tried the Peg Leg from the wing but they were hard to keep from over cooking.

KCBS lets you use whatever part of the chicken you like. Other sanctioning bodies (IBCA in particular) requires you to cook either one or two half chickens turned in still jointed. Check the rules for your comp.

the chicken heart challenge

who will be the first to enter this in competition? :biggrin:

braziliannight-018.jpg

would this be legal at a KCBS comp?

chicken piccata

chickenpiccata-037.jpg

chickenpiccata-078.jpg

That does look good....................but something tells me you're begging for trouble with that entry!:-D

That does look good....................but something tells me you're begging for trouble with that entry!:-D

yep, i wouldn't do it, but... is that deep frying? i call it "shallow" frying or saute'ing.

I would be tempted to turn in breast. How do you turn in breast ? 6 won't fit. Can you turn in two large ones that have been scored into quarters ?

You can turn in one breast and cut in 6 slices. Or two breasts cut in three. Just need six identifiable servings.

yep, i wouldn't do it, but... is that deep frying? i call it "shallow" frying or saute'ing.

I wouldn't call it deep frying but I would call it pan frying in oil which will get you DQ'd but I'd sure love to have a serving or 5 of that after the BBQ comp!

Back