• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting away from thin blue smoke

That's not white smoke. Its barely any smoke at all.

I'm done with you

huh what?

in my first post i said i put splits on and like THIN white smoke.
i posted a pic of my setup and a vid showing thin white smoke
but but but its too thin and not white enough?

should I use two splits instead? lol

bye

I, too am done with this chit. Bore the pants off someone on another.forum.

And yet.......................we feed the troll...............:oops:

Maybe you missed my post below our the other two or three moderator’s warnings? KNOCK IT OFF!

Mod Note:

Once again, let me remind folks of this great feature called IGNORE! If you can't respond to someone in an adult manner, use the ignore feature and you won't see their posts!
Problem solved :thumb:

Also, We do not moderate on content. We moderate based on our rules, and so far the only posts in the thread that violate our rules are those with the personal attacks, so knock it off!

None of my friends “struggle” with barbecue anymore. They’ve all gone pellet or those electric with wood pucks. I’m the sole remaining Charcoal/chunk cookers of people who actually know me.

But even they don’t know me as well as some of y’all.

Not one, not one single photo of a smoke stack from that group.

Time marches on.

resist the temptation. get a heater meter for your charcoal cookers. cheaper in the short and long run

2.5 hours in, temp hasnt varied more than +-4 degrees from the 250 set point
A7wzfCU.png

huh what?

in my first post i said i put splits on and like THIN white smoke.
i posted a pic of my setup and a vid showing thin white smoke
but but but its too thin and not white enough?

should I use two splits instead? lol

bye

:biteme:

Just me. You guys have been warned. That's all I'm saying. I'm NOT posting in green for a reason.

Bob

I expected better from many of you. But, it seems we have many trolls here.

Last warning.

Just me. You guys have been warned. That's all I'm saying. I'm NOT posting in green for a reason.

Bob

I expected better from many of you. But, it seems we have many trolls here.

Last warning.

Once more. I'll keep bumping it in case you can't get the hint.

Bob

Where we going next? You guys decide. Some of Ya'll need to ignore and ignore yourself.

Bob

Helping some of you along here. You decide.

PS. I'm really tired of this **** from MANY of you. Let's go.

Bob

OK, so here's the deal. Since some of you have decided to ignore both Bob and Ron's warnings, I will make it real simple.

If you don't have anything on topic, helpful, civil and constructive to say, say nothing. If you don't like the question or direction of the thread, say nothing and move on.

It is highly suggested you leave this thread if you can't resist taking a chit on its front lawn.

If you choose to answer with sarcasm, or a chitty attitude or some derogatory name or comment,. I will lock the door on you.

Clear?

This may be controversial but long story made short /in my humble opinion/ i think thin blue smoke is overhyped.

when I had my POS(pitiful offset smoker) the goal was billowing white smoke. that's how my friends and I cooked. close the exhaust down and let the white smoke roll. I used pecan exclusively. back then we didnt know any better so we didnt know our food was bitter. we just thought it tasted smoky, and good.

when I built my first uds, I didnt know about thin blue smoke so I just dropped my last pecan split on the coals. those ribs were the best Ive ever tasted.

then I found out about thin blue smoke and realized my food had been bitter all those years and started chasing thin blue smoke. I even bought another offset with the goal being thin blue smoke.

it has taken me a long time to come to this conclusion but I no longer care about TBS. lol. and this is coming from someone who can cook with invisible smoke the whole length of a cook. I have found that for me, TBS = not smoky flavor. I dont think Im the only one here. I see all the threads about why dont I have enough smoke flavor.

I have gone back to putting a pecan split on my coals and I will tell you what, even after wrapping , there is plenty of smoke flavor in the meat.

Im El luchador and I like THIN WHITE SMOKE.

I don't entirely disagree with you. I never knew a thing about TBS until the last couple years, and I've never experienced the "bitterness" that lots of guys on YouTube vids claim you'll get with "harsh" white smoke. Not saying it ain't possible, just saying I used to think lots of smoke was the goal and tried for it every time. Never had bitter food. And I almost never wrap either.

El Luchador your video looks like TBS to me.... That being said I suppose it is just a difference of opinion on what it looks like. Nothing wrong with that. Looks like good smoke to me. Shouldn't have an issue with it.

One thing I have noticed is that it depends on the angle you look at the smoke from. I have had it look like a billowing white smoke stack and if I look at it from a different angle it looks like thin blue smoke.
So the sun plays a role in how the smoke appears. The most important thing imo is to smell it. I put my hand just a little bit above my exhaust and smell my hand. If it smells good then your good to go. If it smells bad then wait and recheck the smell in a bit.

Tbs is a good indicator but imo the smell of the smoke is more important.

My advice to everyone is to do what works for you. Don't get all bent out of shape if someone questions conventional wisdom. At the end of the day does it effect your life or harm you? Probably not so move on.

One more thing that is irking me. The mods have asked multiple times for you guys to knock it off. I understand you guys don't like El Luchador. That is no reason to take a chit on the mods. What the heck happened to respecting our mod team? Like it or not when you keep it up you are taking a big old chit on them. Its wrong. Don't do it. A few of you guys owe the mods an apology. They work hard to make this place a great forum. They do not get compensated. Don't make extra work for them.

To the mods thank you for all the hard work you do it is appreciated.

I don't entirely disagree with you. I never knew a thing about TBS until the last couple years, and I've never experienced the "bitterness" that lots of guys on YouTube vids claim you'll get with "harsh" white smoke. Not saying it ain't possible, just saying I used to think lots of smoke was the goal and tried for it every time. Never had bitter food. And I almost never wrap either.

thankyou sir.

tbs is trendy, and the concept makes sense. and i got very good at making tbs, even down to making my own wood chunks at a specific width on my miter saw with a stop to make sure the size was exact and repeatable.

the more clean the smoke was, the less I liked the food, and then when i started wrapping, it got even worse. that was when I had the idea to try something different. so I went back to that first time on the uds and threw a split on, and wow it tasted great. i wanted to make sure it wasnt a fluke so I did it several more times and its like omg this is what smoked food should taste like- smoky.

Tbs is a good indicator but imo the smell of the smoke is more important.

To the mods thank you for all the hard work you do it is appreciated.

Amen to that. I know when I was going for clean clean smoke I could hardly smell anything. now, I walk out of the other side of my house and I can smell the smoke and it smells great! that aroma that you just want to stand there and get as much as possible.

Rusty nailed it. Run your fingers above the exhaust a few times. It will literally smell like an ash tray if it's not ready. Once it smells good that's all u need to tell you it's ok to put the meat in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back