• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Brisket on the UDS (actually...ever!)

DDM4V1

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have been successful thus far with the UDS. Two butts, a turkey, ribs twice. Everything came out the way it should. I really wanted to do brisket because most of the reading here suggests it is the hardest thing to get right.

I had had a hell of a time finding a packer, but finally found a beautiful 14 lb. specimen at the butcher shop.

A little trim, a generous rub of kosher salt and Chicago Steak and Chop seasoning from World Market and she was resting comfortably on the counter coming up to room temp while I prepped the drum.

I used a basket of Trader Joe's briquettes and 4 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry. Up to 325° and on she she goes.

(My GS3 takes beautiful pictures everywhere except the kitchen. Sorry for the quality.)

20131103_091805.jpg

(Some people suggest layering the meat side with the fat trimmings. You can see some small pieces there with which I was experimenting.)

I averaged about 330°-335° and was at 195° in about six hours. Probed. Nope. Waited a half Hour. Probed. Nope. Waited a half hour. BAM! Butta! Off she comes.

20131103_155641.jpg

Flat separated, wrapped, and coolered. Point was cubed, sprinkled and tossed with sauce. Back on.

Made a batch of Keri's beans (the best).

Ends come off, some which go into the beans.

20131103_180050.jpg

Flat is sliced.

20131103_192304.jpg

Juicy, flavorful, bends like it should, with the perfect pull. I'd love to say I am that good, but I have just been lucky. Plus, this drum just flat out cruises.

Thanks for looking!

I appreciate it guys. Help from guys like you Blu are what helps make noobs like me successful! Thanks!

Looks good. I discovered that the hardest thing about cooking brisket, is to get out of your own head. I'm not a master by any means, but once I realized that it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, it made cooking them, a lot more fun.

Matt

Looks good. I discovered that the hardest thing about cooking brisket, is to get out of your own head. I'm not a master by any means, but once I realized that it wasn't as hard as I was making it out to be, it made cooking them, a lot more fun.

Matt

Excellent point. Not worth it if you aren't having fun!

Double Post edit

Last edited:
Once you've cooked one brisket, well then you've cooked one brisket. They all act a little different on time and temp (ie:frustration) however the probe test is consistent $$$$$

Fretting Time and Temp on briskest result in either high level anxiety or low level paranoia. Probe testing removes these to a comfortably numb state.

Good job. Enjoyed the pics

Barrels make cooking fun.

Back