Kingsford / Patio Classic Oval charcoal grill

vaTim

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had my eye on CL for a Kingsford/PC grill and was able to grab one yesterday. After cleaning it up I cooked some bone-in pork chops tonight direct then indirect. I'm liking everything this discontinued gem has to offer except... if anyone who has one can tell me is the coal shut-off a long process? It seems like the bottom vent isn't all that tight against the tube that feeds ash into the catcher. I could probably form the vent a bit better for a seal when closed but maybe it's just a little more leaky than a kettle? It's still pretty hot a few hours after trying to shut it down.

Thanks!

DSCN29041.jpg

Are you trying to shut it down quickly to preserve some of the coals for a second cook or just shut it down quickly for safety reasons?

Those are nice looking grills. That's a beaut! If you are looking to shut it down to choke the coals for safety reasons, try to spread the coals out over the charcoal grate. They will snuff out faster if spread out vs. piled up.

Yes looking to snuff it out for safety I'll be pulling this one in to the garage as soon as I can after a cook. Good idea on spreading the coals I did have them in a pretty tight pile on one side.. thanks-

Since it's for safety, I'd would just spread them out after cooking. I'd even let it stay out overnight before putting it in the garage and do a clean out too.

Bob

After I'm done cooking, I just let it rip after spreading out the coals.

You should consult with Moose. He's been kicking out some good stuff on his for a while.

I looked for a new charcoal grill and found that non were better than my 26 year old Kingsford/PC grill. So I took it apart, bead blasted and powder coated the base. Sanded the out side cooking schell and painted with grill paint and re stained the wood slats. That brings me to why I am sharing this. I found a guy who makes the cooking grate to spec or with improvements from 304 stainless steel "food grade".. and 1/4in solid rod so it will last for many years. Maybe another 26 years. If you need a cooking grate made contact my email and I will let you know his info. I am new to this site and do not know if I can post his info here.

I have one of these grills. It's gotta be close to 20 years old now. I pretty much use it for poultry now, it cooks two beer butt birds to 200 IT in about 2 hours (depending on conditions) with one chimney of coals split evenly on each side. She is starting to show her age...I really should refurb her...Nah, works fine just like she is.

I have the Kindsford kettle that I believe is 20+ yrs old. It has sentimental value to me. It is a great grill and in great shape but the cooking grate is shot. It is 22.5" x 18.5" and would greatly appreciate any help in finding a replacement.

Nice grill, I don't need a charcoal grill but if I ran across one of those I'd swoop it up.

I have the Kindsford kettle that I believe is 20+ yrs old. It has sentimental value to me. It is a great grill and in great shape but the cooking grate is shot. It is 22.5" x 18.5" and would greatly appreciate any help in finding a replacement.

Killa Grilla does custom grates

Back