Opening a restaurant - advice on the little things

B-Side BBQ out here does the sheet pan and liner thing as well. I forgot about that, but, I love it for BBQ. Much better feel than a basket or plate for a BBQ place.

That is a 1/4 steel sheet pan, any baking supply store should be able to supply them in bulk, and for around $4 to $6 each. Not all that cheap, but, they do not break, rarely bend, survive the sanitizer easily and look better with age.

B-Side BBQ out here does the sheet pan and liner thing as well. I forgot about that, but, I love it for BBQ. Much better feel than a basket or plate for a BBQ place.

That is a 1/4 steel sheet pan, any baking supply store should be able to supply them in bulk, and for around $4 to $6 each. Not all that cheap, but, they do not break, rarely bend, survive the sanitizer easily and look better with age.

Just curious; how many of those can you expect to be stolen by customers, on average? Is it a significant problem, restaurant owners? They do look nice, for sure!

One down side to Aluminum / Steel sheet pans. They act as heat sinks and suck the heat right out of your food.

Have you thought about tin pie plates? I have eaten off of them in BBQ joints before.
Also there is a restaurant at Lake of the Ozarks that serves all kid meals on a frisbee. Another one serves kids meals like fries, chicken strips, mini corn-dogs in a small plastic bucket w/shovel

something like this, but they were a little more rustic.

I use pie tins at Saddles.

We used these trays at one of my restaurants, and they were great. Dixie makes a liner that fits them. Sysco carries he liners. You can have servers put the liners, and stack them ahead of time. They line just has to grab them, and plate them.

Quinton's on E Grand uses the 1/4 sheet pans for their plates.

One down side to Aluminum / Steel sheet pans. They act as heat sinks and suck the heat right out of your food.

I would find a way to keep the pans warm for service. I would think a heat lamp would work.

Great idea on using the heat lamp definitely wanna keep your food warm. Gonna check Sysco out on finding them for us thanks!

Baskets, trays and anything else with that crappy paper in it SUCK. I tell every restaurant manager that has it.

A simple white plate is much better- for health reasons, durability and the customer will appreciate it.

As far as breakage, keep the trash out of your store and at Walmart...your plates will last just fine.

You can have servers put the liners, and stack them ahead of time.

Yep and then I get to eat off of a piece of paper that has been in contact with the underside of a tray/basket/etc.

Whenever I see them pre-stacked, I either leave or ask that a new piece of paper be used.

As far as loss goes, it will depend if you are Fast Cas or full service. We are fast casual and do our best to bus tables quickly, but customers like to help by throwing away plates, forks, side dish cup etc.

Amazing.

We use baskets for our kids menu stuff and some appetizers. Plates for everything else.

Just curious; how many of those can you expect to be stolen by customers, on average? Is it a significant problem, restaurant owners? They do look nice, for sure!

Have used them 3 years now and never lost a single one.

The paper guards against that.

Yep and then I get to eat off of a piece of paper that has been in contact with the underside of a tray/basket/etc.

Whenever I see them pre-stacked, I either leave or ask that a new piece of paper be used.

Really???
A plate that has been stacked by a dishwasher with wet hands is cleaner?

Most places I see that are using either baskets, or trays are not stacking them out here. Maybe that is a Health Code thing, but, they use pre-cut sheets and slap the sheet onto the basket or tray at time of service.

If you are having a problem with sheet trays leaving your place, you need to bus faster.

Wow got lots of ideas! Beginning the remodel now and meeting vendors. Amazing how fast it's all going, at least for now.

Pictures as soon as the place is clean enough for a before picture. Worst part is it was sitting for AWHILE! Someone is coming tomorrow to help us with kitchen flow to maximize space. Will try to get pictures then. Right now the place is white walls, white floor and empty. NOT for long though!

Back