Probe Cleaning

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I think this is the right place for "food safety" issues. If not, feel free to move it, or if I don't get any traction, I'll try Q-Talk: I recently received a water resistant Thermapen (Fastest, UV absorbing blue edition), and I'm starting to think about how to keep it clean and safe at comps. When I'm at home I can simply wash it with soap after each probe, but I don't carry a sink to comps. I was looking for some kind of wipe I can use, and the only thing I've found are these. A few things about them, has any one ever used them, if so, do the seem to work well, and where do you get them? I've only seen them on UK websites. Any other suggestions for keeping the probe clean between pokes when a sink isn't available?

I also found this and thought it looked interesting. Worth a shot as a backup for 12 gbp.

dmp

first off - big ol 'oo-rah' to you for thinking about this subject...

I bet you can find something like this at a restaurant supply store or such. Or heck - you could even make up your own using some hooch to serve as the disinfectant.

You better have a sink at a comp. 3 to be exact. Otherwise any disinfecting wipe will do.

clorox disinfecting wipes available at SAMS and your local grocery store. Approved by my HD for cleaning probes. Can also get alcohol wipes at food service places.

Like Ford said. Clorox disinfecting wipes are available at most any grocery store.

Depending on how strict your HD is, you could run into a little trouble with the wipes. I use a bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean things up at comps and temporary vending. That's OK with the HD as long as the bleach is not TOO strong. I got written up for the solution being too strong last spring. I forget the exact parts per million they are looking for, but it equates to 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of H2O. On top of that, make sure you let the probe air dry after cleaning. Using a towel to dry just gives another chance for cross contamination (according to the HD). I guess my long winded point is that the wipes may have a bleach concentration that's too high for the HD's liking. My $0.02.

Depending on how strict your HD is, you could run into a little trouble with the wipes. I use a bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean things up at comps and temporary vending. That's OK with the HD as long as the bleach is not TOO strong. I got written up for the solution being too strong last spring. I forget the exact parts per million they are looking for, but it equates to 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of H2O. On top of that, make sure you let the probe air dry after cleaning. Using a towel to dry just gives another chance for cross contamination (according to the HD). I guess my long winded point is that the wipes may have a bleach concentration that's too high for the HD's liking. My $0.02.
The Clorox ones had the right concentration of chemical for my HD to pass. I also have the strips for testing bleach concentration.

Thanks, Ford. I've never taken the time to test the wipes with the test strips. Good to know.

You better have a sink at a comp. 3 to be exact. Otherwise any disinfecting wipe will do.

Yep... Assuming you are cooking KCBS competitions the rules state:

Sanitizing of work area should be implemented
with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon
of water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.

So just wash the probe as you would at home, rinse it and sanitize it.

We keep Clorox wipes and spray bottles of bleach and water handy at all times. When in doubt, spray it and wipe it down.

Dale

I believe the Clorox wipes say "not for use on food contact surfaces" .

I've observed the HD using those small medical type alcohol swabs and actually feel uncomfortable with them sticking their probes in my food.

The Clorox ones had the right concentration of chemical for my HD to pass. I also have the strips for testing bleach concentration.

Ford, do you have a link to the where you find those test strips? I'd like to purchase some for the upcoming season.

Thanks!

Sorry, I've been reading the responses, but haven't gotten around to participating since I posted.

In the past, at comps, I've been very careful with how I set things up so that I haven't used the tripple bath treatment, handling all raw meat at once, using bleach and commercial disinfectant, disposable components, and using non-disposable components only once per comp. I know you are "supposed" to wash/rinse/disinfect, but I also know I'm not the only person who doesn't, and I'm very anal about cross contamination. I am most likely going to start the tripple bath treatment this season. Still, the biggest issue I've had is temp probing because a good bit of time can occur between each prove. At home I use the sink, at a comp...well, I forget. It's always been a question, but with the new ThermaPen, the question was renewed.

I looked at Clorox wipes first, and read that they were not appropriate for food preparation surfaces, though if a rinse is all that is needed, I'll consider that. Would have to figure out the timing.

I agree on the air dry. Not only can the towel cross contaminate, but the chemicals need some time to finish disinfecting.

Bleach water is always an option, and I could make my own wipes even, especially when I setup the tubs, but I wanted to see what others due for the proble specifically.

Thanks!

dmp

If I had your issue, I'd probably use the Clorox wipes cut to size and placed in a container or ziploc (cut and stored in a sanitary manner), followed by an alcohol wipe like the HD uses.

They make a little square foil pack with a few layers of cloth and sanitizing solution. You rip two corners off and slide your probe through it.
Also, bleach in a 200ppm solution (1/2 oz per gallon) is considered an acceptable sanitized. You need 5 minutes surface contact for full sanitation at that strength. That is one of the reasons letting it air dry is important, the contact time. If it is stronger it must be rinsed with water before it is used for food prep.

I have to take the servsafe test every 5 years for work, and I teach sanitation classes periodically so if you have any questions let me know. They make me take the test (16 hours of class time, fun stuff) even though I never touch food.

This will work for sanitizing AND for keeping track of your probe's whereabouts....fill a regular plastic water bottle with a couple of drops of bleach and water, poke a hole in the upper part of the bottle just under the neck and keep your probe in the water when not using it....wipe the gunk off it first with a paper towel before you put it in there......then you'll just have to rinse it a little with a spray bottle of clear water to use it everytime.

I used to lose my thermometers like crazy until my friend Scott from One Eyed Jacks BBQ in Lockport NY taught me this trick !

Back