I do have another question. Has anyone had success stopping rust and keeping paint on your uds? I sanded mine down and used a high heat paint. In the end, rust won out.

Rust is an iron oxide, usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable both visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3).

I do have another question. Has anyone had success stopping rust and keeping paint on your uds? I sanded mine down and used a high heat paint. In the end, rust won out.

Little known fact, you need 3 things for rust... Moisture, air, and houston traffic. :wink:

Where did your drum start rusting? If it was covered by paint, air & moisture wouldn't be able to affect it.

Well I sanded it after I did a burn. Then after the sand I painted it with some krylon high heat. Then left it at my parents property for a bit. Came back and it was rusty.

Get it sandblasted and powdercoated. It is a little greater expense up front, but not too much and it will pay off in the long run. You rusted in areas that the paint didn't fully cover or bond to.

You should be able to get the sandblasting and powdercoating for less than $75. Probably closer to $50 if you ask around.

It doesn't take too many cans of paint to hit that price. Then start factoring in your time/effort....

Rust happens. I built my first one a year ago and every now and again I have to bust out the sand paper and clean up a rust bloom or 2. Nothing major. I figure we are only going to be able to do a so so job with rattle cans anyhow.

I am on board with the whole sandblast and powder coat thing. Hopefully here soon I can afford to break both of mine down and have them blasted and powder coated.

Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.

You could always do a turkey breast. Or try a stuffed fatty made with either ground turkey sausage or ground beef.

+1 on the turkey breast. :thumb:

Cook some chuckies. Heck I would cook beef short ribs and cut it off the bone without anyone seeing.

Anyone tried to use the spray on Bedliner for their uds? I don't know what kind of temps it's rated for, but I think I would like it better than paint.

I can possibly see it being more durable in terms of handling the drum (hits, scuffs, etc.), but I don't know that there are any substantial benefits in terms of withstanding the temps you'll see while smoking.

The stuff is kind of expensive, too. Something like $10/can, right? You'll need at LEAST two cans of the stuff, if not a third. That quickly starts getting you right back in to powdercoating territory. I know I've mentioned that solution before. Have you considered looking for a place? There should be a number of options in Houston.

I've trolled this thread for the last 2 months and built my first UDS. I am hooked. Very happy with the way it turned out. Did my seasoning last night and the first smoke will happen this Sunday. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, you saved me many headaches.....

Josh

Attachments

• 20140924_205609.jpg
    20140924_205609.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 940
Looking for ideas on meat to smoke for two people, fiancée doesn't eat pork or anything off the bone. I did a small 4 lb brisket awhile back and it wasn't bad. Want more options. I'm using an uds.
You seriously need to rethink this relationship, nothing off the bone...

Polyurethane Bedliner as UDS Coating- Danger!

Anyone tried to use the spray on Bedliner for their uds? I don't know what kind of temps it's rated for, but I think I would like it better than paint.

Probably not a good idea! If polyurethane burns it generates hydrogen cyanide gas.

I've seen some drums use exhaust pipes for their lid exhaust. I have 2" exhaust from a Harley. Should I use only 1 or can I use 2. If I use 2, should I limit the size of the whole in the drum lid?

thanks,
Mike

Back