Ribs, Specks, and Smoke...

O'Mordha

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The speck hunting has been great lately... so good, I have been trying to find new ways to cook and consume these tasty birds. Here's what I have been doing with the mature birds as of late...

Two plumpers and the trusty fillet.
ml1t15.jpg

I pluck the entire breast out as good as I can, and then I torch em.
1zn0vok.jpg

This is what I am after...
30lm3kj.jpg

Dusted the inside with my rib rub, then added apples, garlic and onions.
vrel5h.jpg

Use a toothpick to join the breasts, then dust, then a few bacon slices, more dust and cooking twine.
1zfocxt.jpg

Settin it up.
23vmiih.jpg

Just like this...
2i7lfll.jpg

We're golden.
30vkjug.jpg

Yeah buddy...
ejsvg8.jpg

Nom, nom, nom...
2djvrqx.jpg

Yes, please.
11bhlx3.jpg

Oh yeah!
Saw a Dutch Brethren do the same thing recently.

Looks awesome!

Speckle Belly is my favorite goose to eat. Sandhill Cranes are flying filet mignon and my favorite bird to eat but Specks are my next.

Looks awesome!

Speckle Belly is my favorite goose to eat. Sandhill Cranes are flying filet mignon and my favorite bird to eat but Specks are my next.

I agree, though I have never ate Sandhill as we can't hunt em out here... but everything I have ever read or heard about sandhill's, is that they're great eating.

I cant speak to the Speck or any of the sides...........Mainly because he didnt offer them up. But the ribs were excellent. Nice Job Man. Filled up the lunch menu today just right.

The speck hunting has been great lately... so good, I have been trying to find new ways to cook and consume these tasty birds. Here's what I have been doing with the mature birds as of late...

Two plumpers and the trusty fillet.
ml1t15.jpg

I pluck the entire breast out as good as I can, and then I torch em.
1zn0vok.jpg

This is what I am after...
30lm3kj.jpg

Dusted the inside with my rib rub, then added apples, garlic and onions.
vrel5h.jpg

Use a toothpick to join the breasts, then dust, then a few bacon slices, more dust and cooking twine.
1zfocxt.jpg

Settin it up.
23vmiih.jpg

Just like this...
2i7lfll.jpg

We're golden.
30vkjug.jpg

Yeah buddy...
ejsvg8.jpg

Nom, nom, nom...
2djvrqx.jpg

Yes, please.
11bhlx3.jpg

What do you do with the rest of the bird?

Would love to see those cooked up. Haven't had something like that in a long time. Nice! :thumb:

What do you do with the rest of the bird?

Depends on the bird most of the time... Geese and big ducks, either get plucked whole, or breasted out with skin on or off. If I breast out the bird I'll save the legs and thighs. You're not going to get a whole lot of meat anyhwere else on a wild bird than the breast and thighs.

That looks great. I was not aware of Sandhill cranes but they are protected here in FL as well. I hate them with a passion. They know they are protected and have attitudes!!! I may have to convince one of them to visit my back yard now so I can feed on him...oh I mean feed him.

That looks great. I was not aware of Sandhill cranes but they are protected here in FL as well. I hate them with a passion. They know they are protected and have attitudes!!! I may have to convince one of them to visit my back yard now so I can feed on him...oh I mean feed him.

Swans are supposed to be pretty tasty as well... and yet again, can't hunt em in Cali.

Back