Steak on a Pit Barrel Cooker

Cibelo

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has any one done steak on a PBC? Mine is my only charcoal cooker and I would like to figure out how to get that taste with a steak.

Mine are New York Strips. Did you put the lid on or leave it off. I followed the link to your post and The Tomahawks look super. I have two thick one and one thin one ( my wife likes hers we'll done) my son and I are more civilized. How long until you got that medium rare?
I haven't worked up the courage to go caveman yet.

Thanks!

For the thicker cut steaks I hang them, close the lid and pull when IT hits at the doneness level I desire. For thinner cut steaks I place in on the grate with so lid on and sometimes lid off. Lid on sort of replicates a reverse sear approach and lid off is like direct sear. Either way they come out lovely!

I bet you can do thick steaks nice with that. Go on the grate and caveman for the sear.

For your thin cuts use a grate directly over the charcoal basket, out in the open. Don't even bother using the drum, it'll be in the way.

I have never seen steaks cooked hanging,they look evenly cooked.Why do you cook them hanging instead of laying flat?

Back