Recommendations For No Heat Rubs

K-Barbecue

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for rubs with little or no heat. My family doesn't like spice on the barbecue. Got to please the "boss". I've used "Pig N Polka" and "Oklahoma Joe's Hog Rub & Yard Bird" and they both have great flavor with no heat but I'm looking for something new. Any suggestions for Pork, Beef and Chicken ?

I usually make my own, but if you want a store bought rub, try Bad Byron's Butt Rub -- great on chicken and beef too.

I usually make my own, but if you want a store bought rub, try Bad Byron's Butt Rub -- great on chicken and beef too.

You've gotta be kidding. Butt Rub has quite a bit of heat in it. It contains Chipotle powder which gives it a pretty good kick. What it doesn't have is any sugar. I like it a lot but my family does not like spicy so it doesn't get used much.

I use this on ribs-
1/2 cup of turbinado sugar
1/4 cup of Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup of salt free chili powder
2 TBS of granulated garlic
2 TBS of ground black pepper
2TBS of cinnamon

This is my poultry rub-
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
3 TBS paprika
1 TBS chili powder
2 TBS granulated garlic
1 TBS granulated onion
1 TBS black pepper

No heat in either one.

You've gotta be kidding. Butt Rub has quite a bit of heat in it. It contains Chipotle powder which gives it a pretty good kick. What it doesn't have is any sugar. I like it a lot but my family does not like spicy so it doesn't get used much.

Huh...well, I haven't used it in a long while, so I guess my memory is off. I know it is real tasty, but I didn't remember it having much of a bite. ah, well, sorry for the false lead.

Home BBQ. com's rib rub didnt seem to have any heat..but really good flavor. Blues Hog rub is more sweet then anything else as well.

Simply Marvelous Cherry rub is great.

Personally I'm a chile head so I don't understand people that don't like even a little bit of pepper heat but the few that I know have loved the SM Cherry rub.

Simply Marvelous Cherry or Obie-Cues Sweet Rub are both great family friendly rubs that add great flavor without the heat.

if i'm cooking for family or if i run out:shock: of one of my favorites, i use McCormick from the spice isle at your local grocery store.. they have an applewood and a sweet and smokey pork rub. both are low heat and very flavorfull.:-D

I'm going to have to order some of that Cherry rub as I see its been recommended several times. Thanks

I'm going to have to order some of that Cherry rub as I see its been recommended several times. Thanks

Me too. I'd like to do a road trip through the central CA coast and pick up all the goodies offered there. It's hard to get a decent tri-tip here in central Texas, but brisket is easy. I'd prefer a good source for the tips.

I would look into Butcher's honey rub and Obie Cues sweet rib rub.

Back