• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chipotle's...

I make sauces with them for a spicy kick. Salsas. Some mexican/spanish dishes can use them.

Add 'em to cream cheese with some minced red onion and garlic. Awesome spread for bagels, stuffing ABTs and celery stalks. Add minced, cooked chorizo or bacon to make it even better.

Remember to use the adobo sauce in the can, too. Just mince then up before you add them. Or use a food processor.

Chili is what came to mind but some good ideas above. Don't wipe your arse with them. They'll take care of that on the way out.

mix em with mayonaise and use it on brisket sammiches.

add to chile

slit a fattie and stuff them inside with shreadded cheddar.

they are smoke jalepenos.. use your imagination.!!

Chipotle Burgers

Ingredients
2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo, including sauce
1 lb ground beef chuck
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt

Open any whole chipotles and discard seeds, then mince.

Mix chipotles (with sauce), beef, onion, and salt with your hands, then form
mixture into 4 patties.

Grill burgers on lightly oiled grill rack
turning over once, 4 minutes total for medium-rare.

Grill English muffins or buns, cut sides down, until grill marks appear,
about 30 seconds.

Are we talking dried or canned? I bought a can of chipotles in adobo sauce but forgot what recipe I meant to use them in! Also bought some dried ones and ground them up to recreate a raspberry chipotle jam I got from a Farmers Market but no one appreciated the heat level and it suspiciously vanished.

They are great additions to rubs when ground (dried ones). Also, I rehydrate and use in a white bean salad. I julienne and add with scallions, and oregano. Then pour a white wine vinegrette over and allow to mascerate (sp?) Woody

i made some fresh chile(salsa) this weekend and had 2 cans in the pantry, i tossed half a can in and blended it all together. i was not impressed. over powered the freshsalsa with to much smokieness may try them on fatties though.

SmokeyBear said:
Since chipotles are smoked chili peppers, have any of y'all tried to make your own?

Mark smokes peppers every year. Maybe he'll see this.

Try this on chicken....Recipe is from the Lawn Ranger collection. I like his recipes because he uses Balsamic vinegar and measures stuff and keeps track of cook time like I do, by the seat of his pants. Heheee. By the way, these are one of my favorite cooks for wings or drumsticks when folks want sauce. I like to add black pepper toward the end of the cook.

106_0604.JPG

Sweet and Spicy Chipotle Wings - Lawn Ranger

2 or 3 canned chiplotle peppers with plenty of the adobo sauce, diced up (2 or 3 peppers...NOT 2 cans of peppers)
brown sugar 1 handful
mustard 3 tablespoons
catsup 4 or 5 tablespoons
Worchestershire 1/4 cup or so
Soy sauce 1/4 cup or so
Balsamic Vinegar 1/2 cup or so

I add black pepper at the end of the cook

Reserve some marinade for basting and put the rest in zip lock bag and mix....add wings (or whatever ) and marinade for 2 - 4 hours, turning periodically.

Cook at 250° to 300° on a raised grate or over a smaller fire, 15 or 20 minutes per side, basting toward the end.

thirdeye said:
Try this on chicken....Recipe is from the Lawn Ranger collection. I like his recipes because he uses Balsamic vinegar and measures stuff and keeps track of cook time like I do, by the seat of his pants. Heheee. By the way, these are one of my favorite cooks for wings or drumsticks when folks want sauce. I like to add black pepper toward the end of the cook.

106_0604.JPG

Sweet and Spicy Chipotle Wings - Lawn Ranger

2 or 3 canned chiplotle peppers with plenty of the adobo sauce, diced up (2 or 3 peppers...NOT 2 cans of peppers)
brown sugar 1 handful
mustard 3 tablespoons
catsup 4 or 5 tablespoons
Worchestershire 1/4 cup or so
Soy sauce 1/4 cup or so
Balsamic Vinegar 1/2 cup or so

I add black pepper at the end of the cook

Reserve some marinade for basting and put the rest in zip lock bag and mix....add wings (or whatever ) and marinade for 2 - 4 hours, turning periodically.

Cook at 250° to 300° on a raised grate or over a smaller fire, 15 or 20 minutes per side, basting toward the end.

Wayne, you need to post this stuff on GetYourGrillon.net, too. These are fabulous posts.

Sledneck said:
who is the lawn ranger?

-

LR is a fellow Egghead, and a good cook. He used to be in the landscaping business (get it?) and as a hobby makes personalized handles for cookers and custom Q tools like spatulas and tongs. A lot of his stuff is for ceramic cookers, but I've seen replacement handles for other cookers, for knives, walking sticks, etc.

handle_lg.jpg

Plowboy said:
Wayne, you need to post this stuff on GetYourGrillon.net, too. These are fabulous posts.

Thanks for the kind words, and I enjoy posting some of my favorites right here (and on a couple of other forums) for that very reason. You know what.... I'm still cutting my teeth and having fun with this foodblog thing working for Matt, writing a few things for The Cooks Kitchen. Maybe later on if there is still room, it may be fun putting something down for Get Your Grill On.....

Kevin said:
Mark smokes peppers every year. Maybe he'll see this.

Yeh, but what am I supposed to do now? Comment on how to make & use smoke dried hot peppers again? Iffin ya can't find it using the search function, lemme know. OK?

Back