• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I'm getting into the business.

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It is going to happen. Yesterday I turned in the plans for a new restaurant in Madrid, IA. The owner of the Invisible Fence Brand dealership here in central Iowa has a building in Madrid that is sitting empty. This is who I currently work for as a trainer and a service tech. He has not had any luck getting a tenant. So he asked me if I could run a small restaurant out of the place. I said I could and now we have plans submitted to the state for approval. Once we get approved we will start the remodel and hope to be open around the first part of April. We do have some equipment bought and are still looking for a few things. The nice things is there are no real restaurants in town, we are a block from the new High Trestle Trail that goes over the High Trestle Bridge. I have the menu almost done. We will be using my smoker to cook the meat. The plan is to have appetizers, sandwiches, salads, and sides. I guess I get to have a new adventure this year. I will post pictures and details as things get closer.

Last edited:
I forgot to put this in the original post. I will be using and selling Brethren BBQ sauces and rubs. I will be contacting everyone in the near future.

One piece of advice is to do your homework. All my life I've been involved in family businesses and learned you need to expect the unexpected and not to take short cuts.

best of luck to you :thumb:
keep us posted.

Looking forward to hearing about yer journey!

Don't know if you've worked in restaurants before, so in case you haven't I'll just say be ready to bust yer arse!

What kind smoker are you gonna use for the place?

Good luck man! I'll be up that way later this year, hopefully I will be able to stop by!

Looking forward to hearing about yer journey!

Don't know if you've worked in restaurants before, so in case you haven't I'll just say be ready to bust yer arse!

What kind smoker are you gonna use for the place?

Yes, I have worked in the restaurant industry. I currently bartend. I understand how much work this is going to be.

I own a Good-One Trailboss. It is an older model that has 5 racks.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I forgot to put this in the original post. I will be using and selling Brethren BBQ sauces and rubs. I will be contacting everyone in the near future.

Not if you plan on making any money. Although great rubs and sauces, you need to make your own.

Good luck! :thumb:

Not if you plan on making any money. Although great rubs and sauces, you need to make your own.

Good luck! :thumb:

I do have one of my own sauces. I will need more than that. I have not worked on a rub, but now I will have space and time.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

I do have one of my own sauces. I will need more than that. I have not worked on a rub, but now I will have space and time.

Sent from my obsolete 3GS iPhone.

I'm just sayin from a food cost point of view. You can make rub in house for $2/lb.

I would spend the money and go to one of Mike Mills classes on running a BBQ restaurant. You will end up saving lots of time and money. Some of his classes are in conjunction with Old Hickory Pits and some are at his restaurant, you will get a feel for running a BBQ business and that is something most people forget as they love BBQ but dont' know anything about food costing, marketing, secondary uses of product, proper holding of BBQ and all he little things that only experience teaches. FYI, experience is the most expensive way to learn anything.

Back